Days off??

Kristine

Visit site
Do you give your horse a specific day off?
Or do you only ride whne you have time so your horse dones't need a day off!
I work shifts so riding can be very difficult so at the moment my boy doesnt have a set day off but he's being ridden abour 4 times a week! its not alot but its enough for now.
Does anyone else find riding everyda difficult?
If you do ride everyday and do give a day off which day is it?

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I ride my horses every day except for Sunday, although if I am busy I may change it to the Saturday/Monday.
My horses are in hard training but I think its important for any horse to have a regular day off. It recharges body and mind.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
When I am at home from uni she normally has Monday off, unless I haven't been able to rider her another day like this wkend when i went to Blenheim, she had saturday off instead.

But when mum rides away when I am at uni, she only gets ridden about 4 days a week as mum works nights so doesn't have as much time

Kelly1982

Visit site
My horse usually has a Monday off unless she has had another day off in the week for some other reason.

This is mainly coz its my first day back at work and i cant be bothered LOL but also coz i like to compete on a Sunday usually so she can relax and recharge the next day.

pottamus

Visit site
My horse always has Monday/Tuesday off because we have usually done an endurance ride on the Sunday and I give him 1 day off for every 10 miles done in the event.

Visit site
She has a weekday off, out 24.7 at mo - normally a Monday after the w/e. Gives me a chance to catch with everything and be at home to cook the children's tea instead of poor old OH doing it. Also gives her a break - she still comes into the yard to be fed and checked over. She's only 4 as well and as others have said - think it recharges the batteries.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
My lad has a day off each week but rarely on a specific day. I never give him a day off after a day competing. He is lightly worked the following day, this works of any tightness etc he would then probably have the following day off.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I always give mine the day off after an event / busy lesson. Otherwise if they've worked all week but not competed then I'll still give them a day off (usually a Sunday or Monday). Depending on the horse, I give them a day off BEFORE a competition too sometimes - one horse I have is better at an event when he's fresher!

Saying all that, I only have a paddock to ride in so mine dont tend to get ridden every day - it very much depends on the weather / condition of the field! Most of the time the ground is either too muddy or too hard! Or if its windy, one particular horse is a monster to ride so there's no point!

Bosrebel

Visit site
I ride when i get time, sometimes once a week, sometimes 4 times a week, depends what i've got going on... My horse doesnt mind, she doesnt get silly if left for a week...