Ddft injury

sam72431

Visit site
I am feeling a bit sorry for myself and horse and just wondering if anyone can help me shed some light. Mare has had a niggling lameness which started in January I box rested and got vet out we did more box rest and she came sound. Gradually building her up again physio etc and then she went lame again a few weeks ago I got vet straight out to scan as she was much more lame with swelling and heat this time. Prior to this it had just been a cold windgall type swelling which vet also agreed was a windgall. Anyway she has fluid drained and steroid injection and scanned a week later.

Found thickening of annular ligament so decided to do a desmotomy due to her age (10) and felt unlikely that it was anything more as she came sound a week later following the steroids.

She's at Liphook who I've always used anyway so booked in for op today they scanned yesterday and still felt unlikely anything major due to being sound. Well what actually has been found is two years in ddft one fairly major and one more minor. She had also torn manica flexoria which he has subsequently removed as well as tidying mineralisation and removing debris and the desmotomy. In his words he's never seen a horse with that much damage be that sound.

We will now do 3 months box rest 3 months small pen then turnout and try ridden work in the spring. I haven't really stopped crying if I'm honest which is very unlike me obviously I'm mainly relieved she's through surgery fine and is well. But it's just so unfair she is a horse of a lifetime so nice natured and tries her heart out it just feels so unfair for her to have this.

I don't know much about ddft if I'm honest so any success stories much appreciated I'll be following vet advice to letter and will do everything possible for her. Will arc equine help? What about ice vibe boots?

Thanks

sam72431

Visit site
It was a very hard rehab, she had an allergy to stitches and then sadly an infection in the tendon sheath so lack of hand walking early on meant development of adhesions. But after a long long 18 months she is now off painkillers and last summer and up until December we were back riding in walk. She struggled a bit when the mud kicked in but now the ground has dried up she is back looking sound and I’ve started riding again and vet last week said fine to trot again if she is happy he said you would be hard pressed to see a difference in the legs. I’ve found bandaging the legs the whole way through is only way to give enough support although put all day every day with nothing on, I’ve found the ice vibe boots to be great and what got her through. Hope your op goes well and not so much damage!

gregory123

Visit site
Thanks for getting back to me, really appreciate the advice from someone who’s gone through it! So glad you’re back on board.
We are 3 weeks post op tomorrow. He had torn the annular and shredded the manica but DDFT was ok. So far the rehab has been so tough! He’s a real drama queen and wouldn’t let anyone near the bandage to change it so the last change involved a vet call out on a Saturday and 3 lots of sedation... anyway it’s off now and we are hand walking. The leg is as lumpy as before and still quite warm but he’s walking out on it well. Fingers crossed from here. He seems a bit traumatised by the whole experience! (And so am I!)

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
I had a horse with a similar injury, twice. He wasn't insured so we didn't go for the op. First one was daft and second time was swollen and tender around the manica but nothing showed up on the scan. Same with second opinion. He had steroid injection and fluid drained with times, followed rehab to the letter. Came back after the first one for about a year, second time rehab going well and then diagnosed with SI problems. Injected, worked for a short while but then decided to retire. He was only 12. Lived in a herd out 24/7 for two years.Circumstances changed and we now have a house with land. I brought him home in August and turned out. He's perfectly sound and vet has given me the go ahead to get back on. Think i'll wait until summer but not sure if emotionally I can cope with it going wrong again.

sam72431

Visit site
Ah ok yes so on mine manica was so shredded it was removed and good news on no damage to ddft so I think you are in a good position for good rehab. Mine had 2 3-4cm tears in ddft so if we can be back pootling then you should be ok too! Hope it all goes well it’s a long lonely journey xx