De Gogue

sikaran

Visit site
Has anyone got any experience of these and would you recommend using one. My horse is a seven yo cob and is ridden in a happy mouth straight bar (he's not keen on anything else) and I'm having serious trouble getting him to work in a consistent outline. I don't like resorting to gadgets but I'm at my wits end what to do! Any help/advice gratefully accepted!

evsj

Visit site
Can he do lateral work? This might help. I had de gogue once but sold it cos it didn't really have any effect. Harbridges are good because the riders hands can't interferebut you can't use them when jumping.

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I often use on on P and I love them;
It is the only gadget that I use on him
grin.gif
great for lunging too!!!

najat

Visit site
I have one that I use for lunging and find it excellent. Does anyone know ehen using it for riding is it fitted the same way as for lunging? Some one said I needed a second pair of reins for it to attach to? Is that right? Anyone got a photo of it being used ridden??

najat

Visit site
http://www.ingatestonesaddlery.co.uk/Horse/Saddlery/Training-Aids/Kincade-De-Gogue-Reins-101442.aspx

See those!!! That is what I mean....also found this....

Fittings of the de Gogue
The de Gogue has two fittings: the independent and the command.

[edit] The Independent Fitting
This is used for longeing or free-schooling the horse, when the trainer is dismounted, and some trainers also begin early mounted schooling in the Gogue. The Gogue is made a leather piece with cords attached. These cords fork at the horse's chest and each run through one of the bit rings. The cord then follows the cheekpiece of the bridle up to a ring or pulley at the side of the browband, before going back down to snap to the leather piece near the chest. The leather extends so that it can attach to the girth.

The horse is therefore "in control" of the action of the Gogue: when he keeps his head in the acceptable position, the Gogue has no effect. When he sticks his nose out or raises his head, the Gogue comes into action, raising the bit in his mouth and applying slight pressure to the poll.

[edit] The Command Fitting
This is for use during mounted work. The leather piece of the Gogue is attached to the girth, and it forks near the chest into two cords. The cords are then run to the rings or pulley at the browband, down the cheekpieces, and through the bit ring. From the bit ring they go toward the rider's hands, and snap onto shortened Gogue reins (which have metal rings at the end specifically for this purpose).

The rider should also ride with reins attached in the "normal" position to the bit, so he may use the Gogue rein as needed. Additionally, it can be jumped in (it has been used in competition) or ridden in cross-country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gogue

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Yes there are two ways to use it as outlined and I have seen it used in both ways however I only ever use it independently and that includes when I ride in it;

Allykat

Visit site
Does lunging in a de gogue have the same effect as lunging in a chambon??

Equestrian clearance had one for about £12 I think

flyingfeet

Visit site
The De gogue is very similar to the Chambon - the men would came up with them were in the French military together!

However because of the way the chambon works, always encouraging stratch down to use the back muscles, you cannot use this whilst riding. The De gogue has a less perfect mechanism of asking to bring the head down, but is perhaps more use as you can use it two ways and for both riding and lungeing.

Allykat

Visit site
Thank you for that
smile.gif
I have a De Gogue but have never used it on current horse. I tend to lunge in the pessoa, but he has learnt to lean on that so I have been wondering about using the de gogue. He is still quite green and needs to work over his back more so I might give it a go
grin.gif