Deaf dogs and thunderstorms

Snuffles

Visit site
Rescue Gordon is deaf (totally I believe) last night about 10.30pm she got very agitated and kept pacing round panting, she settled after about15 mins. No thunderstorm. Woke me up about 12.00pm agitated again, panting and trying to get on the bed with me. Storm going on, not much thunder, some lightening. Other dog hadn't even woken up and he tends to bark if its thundering. I had to get up in the end and go in the other bedroom and take Gordon with me to try and get her to calm down by letting her on the bed( other dog always sleeps with me and no way would he let her on the bed !) which didn't work either So as she is deaf, is she sensing a change in the air or something, and why was she agitated about 1 1/2 hrs before the storm ?

I am dreading the firework season with her now which goes on for about 3 weeks round here

Investigating non vet remedies, but one at least needs to be used 24 hrs before the event and I am not psychic !

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My Shih, rescue, now about 4 and a half and been with me since early Jan 16 is partially deaf.
She will agitate about an hour before lightning is apparent to us here (I now keep an eye on the Real time lightning site).
During fireworks season, if we hermetically seal house and turn up tv, she might not stir unless something goes off right above, but then will agitate and panic for a good hour or so after the last noise.
Unfortunately we have a fireworks outlet round the corner.... makes for an unhappy couple or more months , sigh

GirlFriday

Visit site
Change in air pressure etc and general pre-storm mugginess can be unsettling in a way that fireworks might not be so you might get lucky?

Personally I'd be rather more concerned about such an extreme pecking order in your bed... seems to be Other Dog first, you next, rescue at the bottom. No idea what breeds you have but, whilst mine is allowed on my bed it is 'my' bed - and anyone else I like to share is allowed to do so at 'my' discretion!

maisie06

Visit site
Grumpy old terrier is deaf and takes no notice of fireworks or thunderstorms, mind you he never really has, yet amimals on TV cause totally reactive behaviour...

Chiffy

Visit site
Snuffles, I had a rescue dog for 15 years who hated loud bangs, fireworks, thunderstorms etc. She wasn't a huge problem, she would shake and pant. When she became deaf, she worried no longer, she just couldn't hear it and was perfectly calm.
I know this doesn't help you decide what to do for the best but it is interesting.
Your dog is sensing the atmosphere even without actually hearing the bangs, maybe she needs some kind of sedative on such occasions.

Snuffles

Visit site
Spoken to vet today and got info on natural calmers and a drug paste that you put on the gums.
Whilst talking to one of the receptionists about how dog seemed to sense storms before they were anywhere near, she said that she
could tell when a storm was coming as her hands started to tingle !