Dealer recommendations please

millitiger

Visit site
Due to very unexpected and sudden retirement of my lovely Vinnie, I am having to look for a new horse.

I don't really want to trawl around the country too much looking at lots of horses separately so looking for dealer recommendations please.

We're in the West Midlands and willing to travel about 2 hours.

Looking for 16.2hh minimum, big moving, scopey horse with lots of blood.
Don't mind green as long as bold and careful to a fence.
Prefer sharper, naturally forward horses and don't mind a bounce and a skip- no dopes on ropes that you have to kick along!
4-7yro ideally, prefer gelding but could be convinced on a mare if very nice! :)

Would like somewhere I can try 3-5+ horses on one day that fit above criteria.

Also, potentially going to look at some at Emperor Sport Horses and Irish Horse Imports so any views on them too would be great.

Please comment or pm with recommendations, thank you :)

FireFly29

Visit site
Bit further than 2 hours away but Mark Bosanko in Devon has some nice horses.
They are mainly young warmbloods from about age 3 upwards.
I think 6 of the BYEH finalists were from him, as was Tim Cheffings Burghley ride I believe.
When I went he had about 5 within my budget to show me and they were all nice horses.

Last edited:

millitiger

Visit site
Vere Phillips so long as your budget is up to it!

Don't think the budget would withstand a trip to Vere, much as I'd like it to :)

Bit further than 2 hours away but Mark Bosanko in Devon has some nice horses.
They are mainly young warmbloods from about age 3 upwards.
I think 6 of the BYEH finalists were from him, as was Tim Cheffings Burghley ride I believe.
When I went he had about 5 within my budget to show me and they were all nice horses.

Will have a look, thank you.

Sorry to hear about Vinnie :( Wayne Garrick has some nice horses in or Queenholme might be worth a look

I know, completely gutted about my beautiful V-man :( I looked at Wayne Garrick's website but none of the horses on there at the moment really appealed to me unfortunately.

Another vote for Vere Phillips. Friend got her mare from Irish Horse Imports - not cheap, but super sort.

thanks, going o call Irish Horse Imports this week.

What's your budget?

Budget is to stay in 4 figures :)

sare_bear

Visit site
When I was looking for an eventer a good few years back, I was recommended Warren eventing near Bristol. They are probably top end of your budget, but my trainer at the time had bought several from them and they all flew up the grades. May be worth a chat?

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Irish Horse Imports - haven't used them for a while but had several from them in the past. Good to deal with, get in when they've just had a delivery.
Also have a look at Rowland Fernyhough - only at Gloucester has youngstock up to 5/6yos for sale all the time. Price tends to go up with age and amount of handling ;)

sportsmansB

Visit site
Would you come to Northern Ireland? Could still stay in one yard & see plenty, would just be a slightly longer trip (easy cheap flights from birmingham/east midlands)
Would get a 5/6yo potential horse who has done a few pre novices for your budget
Pm me if you are interested & I can send you a few names

Lollysmum

Visit site
We bought our 4 year old from Emperor Sports Horses in July and we adore him (so far so good, I keep waiting for the bubble to burst). He was and is exactly what the advert said and Alex was lovely to deal with, he replied to texts and voicemails promptly and was as helpful as possible. We had to have ours tested for Strangles before he could come to our yard and ended up having to have a guttural pouch swab as the blood test showed raised levels of antibodies (nightmare!!). All was clear in the end, but Alex really put himself out to help when it extended the buying process by over a week. Clearly that is only one horse, but we had a good experience :)

wiz07

Visit site
Havent read all the replies so sorry if I am repeating a recomendation - but Kate Thurston In peterborough always has amazing horses in.

"the imperial horses"
or
"Honseltly described horses for sale"
Can find her on Facebook, 07815598843

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Havent read all the replies so sorry if I am repeating a recomendation - but Kate Thurston In peterborough always has amazing horses in.

"the imperial horses"
or

Um Barge and Pole spring to mind.

onemoretime

Visit site

"the imperial horses"
or

Are you SERIOUS!!!

teacups

Visit site
Goodness Wiz07 - I am mainly a lurker on this forum, not very knowledgeable, not looking for a horse to buy, and even I have noticed that name! Have seen it come past a few times: usually with a minimum of 5 responses involving the words 'pole' and 'barge'. The threads which go into more detail will have been deleted.
Was that a genuine recommendation?

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Yardley Meadows Irish Horses are a good source, they are based just outside of Coventry on the Rugby side. Always going over to Ireland, mostly importing showjumping types but a good overall mix and will source from other dealers so you have more to try. I have known the lady who owns it for over 20 years and trust her judgement.

millitiger

Visit site
When I was looking for an eventer a good few years back, I was recommended Warren eventing near Bristol. They are probably top end of your budget, but my trainer at the time had bought several from them and they all flew up the grades. May be worth a chat?

Thank you- I looked at their website last week but looks like they may be slightly out of my budget. Could be worth a call though so thank you.

Can recommend LG SportHorses , Macclesfield , Cheshire. They have very good trial facilities and are not pushy .

Thanks, checked the website and nothing listed on there for sale at the moment.

Irish Horse Imports - haven't used them for a while but had several from them in the past. Good to deal with, get in when they've just had a delivery.
Also have a look at Rowland Fernyhough - only at Gloucester has youngstock up to 5/6yos for sale all the time. Price tends to go up with age and amount of handling ;)

thank you- have been to Rowland's before, will give him a call as not far at all.

Would you come to Northern Ireland? Could still stay in one yard & see plenty, would just be a slightly longer trip (easy cheap flights from birmingham/east midlands)
Would get a 5/6yo potential horse who has done a few pre novices for your budget
Pm me if you are interested & I can send you a few names

Thanks, will send a pm :)

We bought our 4 year old from Emperor Sports Horses in July and we adore him (so far so good, I keep waiting for the bubble to burst). He was and is exactly what the advert said and Alex was lovely to deal with, he replied to texts and voicemails promptly and was as helpful as possible. We had to have ours tested for Strangles before he could come to our yard and ended up having to have a guttural pouch swab as the blood test showed raised levels of antibodies (nightmare!!). All was clear in the end, but Alex really put himself out to help when it extended the buying process by over a week. Clearly that is only one horse, but we had a good experience :)

Excellent to have another positive recommendation :) I think he has some more horses due in this week so will try and get there this weekend.

Thanks, I have seen them advertised on Facebook and as well as the dubious reputation, the horses aren't really my cup of tea in general.

Yardley Meadows Irish Horses are a good source, they are based just outside of Coventry on the Rugby side. Always going over to Ireland, mostly importing showjumping types but a good overall mix and will source from other dealers so you have more to try. I have known the lady who owns it for over 20 years and trust her judgement.

thank you- do you have a number you could pm me as cannot find any contact details when I google that name?

Debb72

New User
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking to buy a 16.2hh plus 4/5 year old for show jumping only up to about 1.20m and general riding. Needs to be safe, honest and sound. Unfortunately I only have a small budget of around £2750 as just lost a lot of money on my jumping mare who I found out last week can't be ridden again. I have been thinking of coming over to Ireland but feel I would need to know the names of a few reputable dealers. If you can help please let me know. Thanks Debbie

woodlandswow

Visit site
Wondering if anyone has bought an MGH horse and what they are like? Lots of class looking horses there but quite pricey!

A friend has bought about 5 in the past from Mark Bosanko in Devon and all really flashy good types

ellie_e

Visit site
If your going to make the trip to Devon, check out Stafford Barton Stud, they have a selection of youngsters all well bred warmbloods, super honest girls and nice yard.

Llee94

Visit site
Wondering if anyone has bought an MGH horse and what they are like? Lots of class looking horses there but quite pricey!

I know somebody who has got an MGH horse. Absolutely stunning and he has been a real super star for her. I see their horses out competing regularly at BE and they always look beautiful and so well produced.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking to buy a 16.2hh plus 4/5 year old for show jumping only up to about 1.20m and general riding. Needs to be safe, honest and sound. Unfortunately I only have a small budget of around £2750 as just lost a lot of money on my jumping mare who I found out last week can't be ridden again. I have been thinking of coming over to Ireland but feel I would need to know the names of a few reputable dealers. If you can help please let me know. Thanks Debbie

I've quoted this post in the hope that someone can recommend some dealers to you. :)

I believe Millitiger has now bought a young mare and is having fun getting to know her.

Fantastic news. :)