Dealers and rescues

WeeLassie

Visit site
I am just wondering whether people would be concerned buying from a sport horse dealer if said dealer was on the board of a large rescue organisation that hasnt had the best of reports in the past? I believe the same rescue (its in Ireland) was involved in a bit of a scandal a few years back selling horses they were meant to have rescued? Thanks

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
All depends on the reputation of the horse dealer really. Not sure how being on the board of a large rescue organisation comes int the equation?

Especially if it is the rescue I think you are alluding to and the sport horse dealer who is now on that board with a number of other extremely reputable people from all walks of life here in Ireland who have stepped up to the plate and are at this time doing their utmost to ensure this particular rescue gets kicked into touch and starts doing everything 100 per cent by the book and in the animal's best interest?

Personally I applaud them and the other members of this board for taking the time and making the effort to put some much needed positive and legal influence into this dreadful so called animal rescue - and in particular stop the abusive and dishonest owner/manager in her tracks before she destroys anymore animal lives to line her own pocket. Far better than all the rest of us here moaning and wringing our hands about the rescue but never actually doing anything constructive to curtail the said owner/manager and help the animals in her so called 'care'.

All the above of course only applicable if we are talking about the same rescue and the same sport horse dealer ;) Yep I would go ahead and buy from them any day of the week - they have fantastic horses, exactly as described and I like them even more knowing how they have put their neck on the line and how deeply they care and are trying to help the less fortunate abused horses in Ireland.

stormox

Visit site
I think there can be a bit of a blurred line with people who buy cheap from low end markets and free ads and sell as "rescued from the meat man".
Also I think some dog rescues get dogs from abroad, ship them to UK in bulk and get "adopters" to pay a healthy fee. (Like 4paws with Romanian dogs and Dorset with Irish ones)
It wouldnt be so easy with horses though, cheap/free horses usually have problems.
I think as long as the dealer is selling good quality horses is knowledgeable and has a good reputation it wouldnt be a problem. And if they are experienced it would be a help to any rescue to have knowledgeable people on their board.

Kaylum

Visit site
What I have never understood is quarantine at dealers. I remember the charity in question rehomed a horse without home checks and it already had strangles, it was also a colt. And so it goes on. They buy, the dealer buys from them, or even people rehome from them cheap and sell on. Difficult.

stormox

Visit site
Do you mean AHAR? I think the dealer (and shes a high end dealer with a good reputation) has been put on the board along with other people of repute to sort the place out. I dont think they will be selling/rehoming horses in the way they did before. And hopefully the buying and reselling of horses from fairs will stop too.