Dealing with a fresh horse

muddybay

Visit site
Has anyone else's horse got so fresh in the last few weeks? Mine has got completely unrideable, he's being ridden 6 days a week and is turned out for 8 hours a day. I'm not sure what more I can do, should I try calmers, or should I just wait it out over the next few weeks with all the spring grass coming through?

muddybay

Visit site
Have you cut out any hard feed? So just getting hay & grass.
I can't really because he needs it for his supplements recommended by the vet and also all the other horses get fed 2 times a day so I don't want him to get stressed if he's not getting anything. He's on the least amount of feed possible for his supplement right now

muddybay

Visit site
If it’s spring grass related I find that my 3 benefit from some additional mag ox at this time of year to minimise spring silliness. It really does seem to help.
I'm 99% sure it is. Do you use horsey magnesium or human magnesium out of interest?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm 99% sure it is. Do you use horsey magnesium or human magnesium out of interest?
Horsey magnesium.

I am having a brain fart as to which brand I use, it’s about 95% purity so not the top spendy grade. It was recommended by @ester, who hopefully will get this notification and remind me which brand it is!

ETA Intra labs 98.3% £21.84p for 4kg on eBay.

muddybay

Visit site
Horsey magnesium.

I am having a brain fart as to which brand I use, it’s about 95% purity so not the top spendy grade. It was recommended by @ester, who hopefully will get this notification and remind me which brand it is!

ETA Intra labs 98.3% £21.84p for 4kg on eBay.
Thank you! Out of interest, how would you say it impacts your horses, and do you feed it all year round? I think mines had symptoms of magnesium deficiency but I'm obviously not hoping for a miracle with behaviour

Goldenstar

Visit site
Work him twice a day ,even if you do it a couple of times a weeks it’s helps a lot and if you can take Him for a really long slow ride once a week .

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thank you! Out of interest, how would you say it impacts your horses, and do you feed it all year round? I think mines had symptoms of magnesium deficiency but I'm obviously not hoping for a miracle with behaviour
With mine, they are fed a base level of magnesuim all year round included in their Pro Balancer+.

I start adding extra mag ox (5 ml spoonful twice daily) every spring when the spring sillies start, and carry on feeding the extra until the autumn. It works just as well on mine as any fancy pants calmer.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I can't really because he needs it for his supplements recommended by the vet and also all the other horses get fed 2 times a day so I don't want him to get stressed if he's not getting anything. He's on the least amount of feed possible for his supplement right now
The spring grass is probably better than any supplement he is given.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
In terms of cutting the hard feed, I realise you already said it has his supplements but consider powder balancers which can be mixed into a token amount of mash, reducing the amount of feed you need to give while maintaining the vitamin and mineral amounts.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Do you actually really tire him out a couple of times a week? I had mine in similar work to yours and she just got fitter but I needed to bottom her out once or twice a week (like proper heavy sweating genuinely tired) - on the gallops or with a couple of days when I rode morning and lunged evening for eg.

meesha

Visit site
I agree, baggins behaviour has changed since I've taken out 2 or 3 days in a row including one very hard fast hack, my last lesson he was foot perfect with no sign of high jinx. It's hard this time of year but more hard exercise does help.