Dealing with arthritis in a young dog?

BallyJ

Visit site
Our 5yr old JRT has been diagnosed with arthritis, shes is on Yumove but I haven't really noticed any difference? has anyone used foran arthri can? https://redmillsstore.ie/products/foran-arthri-can

I've seen it on a popular 'instagrammers' page and she raved about it but that's all I've seen of it?

She's a nightmare because she still bombs round like shes all ok, then gets grumpy when she gets home and is sore! She pulls like a trooper on the lead so i try and keep her off or use a headcollar to reduce the pressure. she has a huge orthopaedic bed but is there anything else i could do for her?

She's a very stoic little thing so i'm trying to make sure she isn't hurting!

PS- Any dog rucksack recommendations? we're looking to buy one for our 'big walks'

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Youmove is a support, not a cure - but you can get higher strength supplements from the vet on prescription. Diet can also help.

BallyJ

Visit site
Youmove is a support, not a cure - but you can get higher strength supplements from the vet on prescription. Diet can also help.

The vet has 'prescribed' Calpol for the moment for days shes sore.
Shes on AVA at the moment, but eats additional treats such as carrots and cucumber, broccoli etc. Any recommendations on food?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Get her as lean as possible, I certainly wouldn’t be adding weight and pressure onto her joints by making her wear a dog rucksack, that seems counterintuitive, the idea is to remove weight from the dog.

Swimming is brilliant for arthritis, great exercise and non-weight bearing. She needs enough exercise to build muscle to support the joints, lay off ball throwing if you do that.

Supportive food could be raw chicken wings to get her natural glucosamine, although studies show that it’s pretty useless. Green lipped mussel seemed to be effective for ours, plus turmeric paste but then she’ll smell like cat pee. Salmon or fish body oil, not cod liver due to the high levels of Vitamin A which accumulates in the liver and is harmful for dogs.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I expect to be flamed, but I'd try and curtail/control her exercise a bit more as well as diet. Every rake around she does will undo any mitigating action you take.
Look into brain training exercises to wear her out mentally.
Be careful of very hard and slippery floor surfaces also. Tiles, wood floors etc should be covered in rugs/carpeted. No jumping up and down on furniture, no stairs, jumping in and out of vehicles.

BallyJ

Visit site
Oh blimey, my bad! Sorry, OP! I always wrongly assume that everyone has 25kg springers, didn’t check that it’s a jrt!

no problem! She’s only 6kgs! We have a lab so would be nice to be able to lift her up for a rest every so often!
She loves swimming and will be heading back to hydro therapy as soon as they re open!
They aren’t allowed upstairs but we’re terrible for leaving the sitting room door open and she helps herself if she thinks we aren’t paying attention!

BallyJ

Visit site
I expect to be flamed, but I'd try and curtail/control her exercise a bit more as well as diet. Every rake around she does will undo any mitigating action you take.
Look into brain training exercises to wear her out mentally.
Be careful of very hard and slippery floor surfaces also. Tiles, wood floors etc should be covered in rugs/carpeted. No jumping up and down on furniture, no stairs, jumping in and out of vehicles.

On with googling brain training now, we have a 15month old lab also so this will be good for her hopefully!