Dealing with nerves

Nadia

Visit site
I just wondered how everyone else delt with nerves at competiton??

I recently bought a new mare and although she's been out jumping NC/Fox with her old owner i thought i'd take it slowly and get to know her before i push things....but the last few outings my nerves have just got the better of me!

I know once i get used to her and start to have a little faith i will be back to my normal self (i hope!!
shocked.gif
) but in the mean time it'd be good to have some way of dealing with the tension i have when we go and compete......

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I expect I get really really boring about this, but I used to get very, very scared and nervous jumping anything over 2'6" even though I had jumped happily and confidently in my younger years. I did TFT (Thought Field Therapy) with a lovely lady called Jo Cooper (a google search will bring up her website and several testimonials from other HHOers) and almost instantly all my nerves went away. Am now much, much more confident, relaxed and happy
smile.gif
smile.gif

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
I can sympathise. I had a break in competing and came back showing signs of nerves. I can wholeheartedly support PF in her TFT reccommendation.

My nerves were never jumping ones, as, as soon I got on I would be fine. But they were nerves leading up to the event.

Now I listen to music en route, I try to keep away from nervous people and I walk courses by myself so I dont hear negative expressions.
wink.gif

Good luck with your new hossie.

catembi

Visit site
I'm not competing atm as I'm STILL between horses, but I'd be really interested to hear what results you get with TFT as I'm sure the nerves will kick in if I EVER get competing again!!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Last year I had real crash of confidence - my legs stopped working while I was competing at intro SJ despite never worrying about 4ft hedges out hunting. I had TFT and it has made a huge difference. Have been doing 1.05m classes Sj where as before I would have cried.
I also found I never warmed up positively enough before - I just did it because I had to. Now I am trying to get the canter right, check my horse is in front of leg, jump a few fences short, jump a few long all the time building confidence.
I still have moments where I panic and sit like a lemon but these are becoming much fewer - I am getting better at making a decision to either hold or go long. Finally good old rescue remedy, distraction and most of all practice work very well!

LauraT

Visit site
Hey! I had sports psychology a few years ago when I was doing team trials and that helped so much. if you dont want to bother having any sessions maybe go to waterstones and pick up a book about it. there are loads of quick easy hints to help control all types of nerves! hope that helps!

Peanot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Finally good old rescue remedy, distraction and most of all practice work very well!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. I am having all sorts of crisis at the moment, but the best tonic is to just get out there and do it, with the rescue remedy of course.
wink.gif