Dealing with separation trauma -Help!

Ingramah

Visit site
Hi, hope someone out there has some ideas or previous experience of dealing with a horse with separation issues. I'm looking after a horse which has recently been separated from it's full sister after 7 years together. It has now turned it's affections to a younger field companion with disastrous results for my stable tonight. We've only had the horse here for a week and all seemed fine until tonight when we took the youngster down to the school for some lunging. Although within clear eye sight and having another horse in the stable beside her, she really threw the teddy out the pram. After a good attempt to get over the door, she also kicked three holes in the stable wall. Luckily she avoided damaging herself but the stable wasn't so lucky.

She had previously lived all her life in one field, taken in each night, accompanied by her 8 yr old sister. Unfortunately due to tragic circumstances, they had to be separated and the mare was moved to my yard with another horse who was a field companion (not her sister). Although we expected trouble separating the sisters, I must admit I didn't think she would transfer her affections in quite so dramatic a fashion to the field companion.

Whilst the horse is very calm and gentle in the field and stable, all the time the field companion is close, her behaviour is close to manic when the companion is moved more than a few feet away. I've thought about taking the tough approach and leaving her in the field when we take the youngster out but am in no doubt she would either run through the fence or jump it. Her behaviour to the other horses in adjoining fields is very territorial so I wouldn't risk introducing her to new pals at the moment.

I suppose I am looking for some reassurance that this behaviour can be overcome and would appreciate any comments from anyone who has come across this before.

Thanks in advance for any posts.
crazy.gif

teddyt

Visit site
One week is no time at all in these situations. It can take months or even years for a horse to settle in a new home. You just have to take it slowly, gradually building up to longer periods of separation. The tough approach rarely works. It is better if possible to take the stressy one away from the companion, not the other way round. So for example, if you want to take the companion to the school, take both to the school then take the stressy one away from the companion and back to the stable.
Flower remedies can help too. You put a few drops on an apple or in the water. Walnut flower essence is good for change of circumstances. Star of bethlehem is for shock and sweet chesnut is for anguish.
Good luck. It can be sorted. It just takes patience and understanding that the horse is distressed

imafluffybunny

Visit site
My WB mare becomes very attached to any horse she is in the field with, some yards I was at she was known as the nutter because she would go mad when seperated. I put her on a calming supplement called cool, calm and collected which made a massive difference, I also have found a big difference in her at different yards I have been at, she is now at a yard which has internal stabling and her field mate is kept further down the lines, she now has no issues when being split up although I would never turn her out on her own.
I have had my mare 5 years and I have just had to play around with what works best for her.
If you can, could you alternate who the horse goes in the field with? I fould this also works with my mare.

TicTac

Visit site
I have to agree with teddyt and would just like to add that time and patients is the way forward. A good approach is to get the mare to focus on something else when her companion goes away as mentioned. You will need help but take her out for a walk or work in the school with the other one occasionally and take the other away first. Continue to work her for a short while longer then take her out. The mare's behaviour is not uncommon, She's just insecure.

Ingramah

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'll try taking her out of the field first tomorrow and doing a little groundwork to see how she gets on. She's a lovely mare - just a shame that she wasn't handled a bit better earlier on and the separation issues weren't dealt with then. She is a warmblood - not that this should make a difference. Fingers crossed that we can sort this out.

Many thanks for the replies.