Dealing with thistles

Jesstickle

Visit site
What is the best way to deal with thistles? I have a few large-ish patches on one half of my field which I would like rid of if possible.

Is there an easy way to get rid?

Jesstickle

Visit site
That's what I was wondering. Whether there was a time of year to get at them and so on. My farmer/livery yard owner is really good and has topped them twice this year so they aren't going to spread but I just wondered if I could patch spray them to clear them completely.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I had a thistle problem and we never put chemical on the fields we top several times a year when ever needed this has reduced the issue only one big clump left on the place and that's a quarter what it was .we still have thistles but as they never seed and are kept chopped they are not a problem .

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
It's wrong that the only thing I could think of when I saw the thread title was "Jessthistle" isn't it?

putasocinit

Visit site
Horses love them, esp the flower, i leave them and they wilt naturally and horses eat them all part of searching for herbs etc.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Not too late to spray or spot spray. We get our field (it's too stony for topping) sprayed once every two years. We never had thistles, but last year the farmer was poorly and didn't spray, and now we have a nice crop. Roll on next summer. You can also knock them down with a slasher, but it IS a bit late for this, as the thistledown is already ripe for flying and will go everywhere.

budley95

Visit site
Thistles don't last long enough in my field! They just get eaten! But in the garden, I tend to dig them out with a rag fork and put rock salt in the hole. It's my answer to every weed!

fatpiggy

Visit site
My old girl couldn't resist thistles - she ate the flowers off growing plants and chomped the entire plant once it was chopped and wilted. Likewise with nettles. Yummy. Mind you she enjoyed chewing on reeds as well and I didn't think ANYTHING at those!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I know some horses will eat them but I don't ever seem to have the right horse for the job sadly so they are just taking up valuable space.

strimmer sounds quite fun, how many weeks would it take to get rid of them this way? I guess as long as it takes to get really good grass cover so they are just out competed?

amandap

Visit site
Am I the only one who finds the horses eat all thistles? Never a problem here so long as some grazing time. lol
A few years ago I watched one mare gingerly tackle a huge rosette with large spikes, carefully picking off the leaves then chomping into the base.

ps. Ha, I'm not alone, just saw putasocinit's post.

Last edited:

Brightbay

Visit site
Am I the only one who finds the horses eat all thistles? Never a problem here so long as some grazing time. lol
A few years ago I watched one mare gingerly tackle a huge rosette with large spikes, carefully picking off the leaves then chomping into the base.

ps. Ha, I'm not alone, just saw putasocinit's post.

You're not alone - although apparently they're only tasty from end August onwards. I wonder does the flavour change/spikes grow blunter as they mature? I arrived at the field on Sunday to find two of the geldings sharing a thistle :) They were taking it in turns to nibble off the flowers, and then gradually started on the leaves (very carefully).

Mind you, they're quite skilled, as they also eat gorse and raspberry canes. I suppose it's like us eating artichokes :)

If you want them eaten before they're "in season", I find strimming or lopping and letting them lie for a day or two makes them more palatable. Same approach seem to work for nettles.

amandap

Visit site
Same approach seem to work for nettles.
Oh nettles are adored once cut/pulled and laying around for a day or two.

It was fascinating watching that mare manipulating her mouth to get the leaves off the one with big spikes. lol Obviously a seasoned campaigner. Tbh, I haven't noticed a seasonal preference so will look out for that.

I would just try cutting them and see if they eat them that way.

Jesstickle

Visit site
BH and Nitty never ate thistles. Nor did Emma. I must have the wrong type of horse. Nits would eat the flowers but nothing more, the other two didn't go near them?

Brightbay

Visit site
BH and Nitty never ate thistles. Nor did Emma. I must have the wrong type of horse. Nits would eat the flowers but nothing more, the other two didn't go near them?

I suspect they learn from other thistle eaters :) Mine wouldn't touch gorse for about 6 months after joining the herd of gorse eaters, then he gradually started to sample it. That's probably why he now eats thistles too. If they've never seen another horse eat thistles, they probably won't start experimenting!

Bay TB

Visit site
My TB never used to eat them unfortunately and when he was in the old yard with a rather abundant thistle problem they caused mud fever in the driest month of the year by scratching the very sensitive pink skin of his socks!