Debriding proud flesh

DonskiWA

Visit site
Does anyone ever do this themselves or do you leave it always for a vet? I’m aware of all the creams/ lotions etc, but this is quite a knobbly, protruding bit and I’m sure I could slice quite a bit off before getting anywhere near live tissue. But…I’ve never done it before, only watched a vet do it. Am I mad to consider it or is it as simple as it looks?

Cragrat

Visit site
The vet debrided some proud flesh from my horse's knee last year.

It was such a blood bath! The vet was totally inconcerned, and kept mopping and slicing until she had removed it all, but there is NO WAY I would want to attempt it my self. I know a little blood can go a long way, but he his bedding looked like a chainsaw massacre had taken placce. Jets of blood had spurted in all directions.

She dressed it properly and it healed much better . It still scarred though, but it was always going to being on his knee. He does have pretty good range of movement on it, which he woulnd't have done without the debridement.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I had to do it on a yearling's pastern injury. I was terrified of getting down to sensitive flesh and having the horse react violently. I did manage however and it healed beautifully. Lots of blood.

honetpot

Visit site
Depending on how much you could try silver nitrate, its still used in human wounds for over granulation. Sticks or gel.