Decent saddler needed

Siobhanelizabeth

Visit site
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a saddler that will bring a large selection to you (it's her first so I have an idea of what will suit but variety is good) and fit the saddle to the horse, making alterations if needed?

Looking for second hand as not a huge budget.

Thanks 😊

V&F

Visit site
Helen Stone from midlands saddle fit or Jo Taylor are both very good, they should be able to help you whilst she’s in Cannock, Albrighton May be a bit far for them though 😊

Siobhanelizabeth

Visit site
Helen Stone from midlands saddle fit or Jo Taylor are both very good, they should be able to help you whilst she’s in Cannock, Albrighton May be a bit far for them though 😊
Thanks I'll look them up 😊

What sort of budget do you have?
Looking at max 500 really, 350 ideally, maybe more for the right one. Her being right in her first one is more important within reason

Frumpoon

Visit site
Aberwiel would also be my choice of the above selection

Helen stone and jo Taylor both claim to be SMS qualified but I cannot find them on the register for the life of me. There's nothing wrong with not being SMS but why lie about it?!

Siobhanelizabeth

Visit site
Aberwiel would also be my choice of the above selection

Helen stone and jo Taylor both claim to be SMS qualified but I cannot find them on the register for the life of me. There's nothing wrong with not being SMS but why lie about it?!

I did wonder that, I couldn't find them either. Surprised me as Helen stone sounds quite renowned for what I've read after this.

What are you feelings on being on the register Vs not? Matt at heritage isn't either but I've heard good things too.
Thanks 😊

Frumpoon

Visit site
Yes I am aware that SMS has different categories but Helen Stone and Jo Taylor don't appear under any of the SMS categories - not saddle fitters or makers or BETA members

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Yes I am aware that SMS has different categories but Helen Stone and Jo Taylor don't appear under any of the SMS categories - not saddle fitters or makers or BETA members
I was addressing the OP asking for a saddler :). There are two types of SMS qualified individual, the one who has passed the exams, and the one who has both passed exams but has maintained their membership which means that are keeping up with training (cpd annual requirements) and you will be covered by the SMS if things go wrong. I know more than one master saddler who has chosen not to keep up their subs, I think it is confusing because either you dismiss their qualifications because they're not registered, or you go with them not realising they're not actual members and assume you have SMS protection etc.

Siobhanelizabeth

Visit site
I was addressing the OP asking for a saddler :). There are two types of SMS qualified individual, the one who has passed the exams, and the one who has both passed exams but has maintained their membership which means that are keeping up with training (cpd annual requirements) and you will be covered by the SMS if things go wrong. I know more than one master saddler who has chosen not to keep up their subs, I think it is confusing because either you dismiss their qualifications because they're not registered, or you go with them not realising they're not actual members and assume you have SMS protection etc.

That's fair point, I hadn't thought if the list is a list of people paying membership rather than who has passed the exams.

Although, how much changes year to year, and how stuck in their ways do people become if training isn't updated.

Oh the minefield widens 😭😂

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
My advice is to go on recommendations but generally if the person is qualified you probably want to have them registered too. However, qualifications are definitely not the be all and end all (I am not qualified). Then see if the person seems to understand your issues and can explain why they might be happening, why they may have a solution (which yes will often be a different saddle, we all have a different paradigm, a different approach, and I know mine won't work for all saddles)...and then going forwards does their booking and travel system work for you, do you get on with them when you meet them, will they answer your questions? If so then they sound like a good bet...going forwards problems WILL happen, horses change shape, hell they even change shape during the day.

I get really upset when a customer's horse changes shape (usually for really good reasons, building a ton of muscle) and needs a new saddle and somehow that's my fault and they go to someone new, especially if I've tried hard to keep the current saddle working because they'd struggle to afford a new one. It's really hard to know which way to jump...so as long as you feel the fitter is helping you problem solve, is attentive and doesn't ignore your concerns, then if the horse has been happy up until now, and everything else has been good then stick with the fitter and give them every chance to find you a solution.