Decent yard boots like Ariat Terrain (but cheaper!)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My Ariats are really wearing out, I have to admit defeat, my feet are wet. I love these boots but I'm loathe to spend £130 right before Christmas. Does anyone have recommendations? Waterproof, supportive, lace up, strictly no zips, will be doubling up as dog walking boots.

pippixox

Visit site
To be honest I have tried different boots and so far Ariats have been worth the money. Bought slightly cheaper mark Todd and mountains horse (not much cheaper though!) and they have barely made one winter.
I have got some aigle wellies which are really comfy even on dog walks.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I had the Tuffa pink laced boots, also died a death, saw me through the accident! They don't do them anymore or I'd be buying multiple pairs.

View

Visit site
If you don't need to be able to ride in them, I recommend Bates Boulder 4 1/2 inch tactical boots teamed with the waterproof spray from Tuffa. About £75 for the boots. I use them for yard work, teaching duties, walking, and my full time job around buses.

albeg

Visit site
Sports Direct for a variety of very well priced waterproof walking boots. I used a pair for a good part of last winter. Found the grip very good on muddy fields.

I bought a pair of Gelert ones earlier today for about €35 including delivery. I'll update on what they're like when they arrive (though this pair are for walking to my bus/work)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
You can get Ariat Terrains for $75-85 in the US (59-67 pounds) - surely delivery can't be that crazy?

You have to be careful, I visited America with a saddle for a friend to try English riding, with saddle pads, girth etc. I forgot one of the girths, and I thought no matter, I will get it next year, but she tried to helpfully post it to me.

It was not expensive to post, but the customs fees they wanted were extortionate, I think there could have been an appeal, but it was only a cheap, old girth, so the most cost effective thing to do was refuse delivery. I lost the girth and she lost the postage.

Steerpike

Visit site
I've brought a couple of riding hats from America for different places, one I got charged for the customs fees the other I didn't, both were the same price. I think it's a bit bit and miss with custom fees.

Xanthoria

Visit site
Here's something I found on a very quick search: https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/internet.htm

If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less. In addition, there may also be a handling fee to pay to the carrier. [At the time of this guide, the Parcel Force fee is £8.)

So for a pair of boots at $85 you'd pay VAT but no customs, plus whatever shipping.

You don’t pay VAT or Customs Duty when your things are sent back to you – they must be described as ‘personal belongings’ on the customs declaration. So that girth could have been sent that way :(

Scarlett

Visit site
Have you seen/tried the Woof Wear Horizon boots? I bought them as I wasn't willing to pat Ariat Terrain prices but needed something similar. Waterproof, sturdy, comfortable and I have walked miles in mine quite happily.

I found mine for £50 on Ebay. Sizing does come up big though.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I bought these and have only tried them on I n the house, but they're lk,e gloves for feet! So comfy, thank you for the recommendation. I bought the riding/crossover boot, so slightly more expensive than the yard boot, £89. Brilliant, thank you @Gazen.

Steed boots from Kramer. About £70, very similar in comfort levels to the Ariats.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I live in my Dubarrys. My last pair lasted about 8 years of daily abuse and am now 3 years through my second pair. Yes, they're pricey but I just have the regular slip-on ones which are totally waterproof, I poo pick the yard and field, ride in them daily and walk the dog in them. Have even hiked up hills in them no problem. Love them.