Decision help needed

NicolaC

Visit site
Ok here goes.

I'm on the look out for a new horse with a very limited budget. The decision I have to make is do I either go for a 3 year old that needs bringing on and waiting to compete in the new year or do I go for something older that most likely has some sort of problem that needs sorting ( or has a vice )and compete sooner.

Facilities and time are no problem. I have my own yard with sand school and work for myself.

I have broken and schooled all of my own horses before. ( taken a freshly broken to grade B showjumper ).

I have two horses in mind. One is a 15.2 7 year old that has just came over from Ireland. Very green but working well. No papers and does weave. All my tack will fit so will not have to buy anything.

The other is a very well bred section D 3year old Gelding. Unbroken but has been lunged and tacked up. I have no saddle that will fit so will have to get rid of my saddle before buying another. Is cheaper than the Irish horse.

Or I just save my money and don't bother

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I would go for a younger horse that needs bringing on rather then a older problem horse, some problems are near impossible to fully over come and you could infact be competing quicker with a blank canvese.

Out of those two the first sounds better.

Get a ex-racer there perfect
grin.gif

help1

Visit site
Hollybell if you are thinking of perhaps loaning there is a post below with an OP (Cowboy1) who is desperate to loan her horse to someone who has time to put it back on the right track, looks like a lovely warmblood SJ type, if that is an option you could have something to sort and compete and would be doing her a huge favour....she sounds pretty desperate

NicolaC

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hollybell if you are thinking of perhaps loaning there is a post below with an OP (Cowboy1) who is desperate to loan her horse to someone who has time to put it back on the right track, looks like a lovely warmblood SJ type, if that is an option you could have something to sort and compete and would be doing her a huge favour....she sounds pretty desperate

[/ QUOTE ]

Loaning is not an option. He does look lovely but far too big for me.
smile.gif

help1

Visit site
Oh well never mind ..... that would have been too easy (would put a smiling face in if i knew how to!)

Not sure which i would go for a really difficult one. I suppose I would look for the one who will do, in the end, what you want to do. Are you looking to sell on? If you are which one will have the widest market? If you are looking for a keeper what do you want to do with it in the end?