Decisions, decisions...

emilyjeff

Visit site
Hi all, am a 39 year old returner to riding, rode a lot as a child and then didnt ride at all until age 36. I would say I'm a fairly decent rider, but never actually owned my own horse. I currently have a 13 year old cobx on loan, who is owned by a friend of mine. He has some health issues so is just a happy hacker but I really like him, he is a sweet boy and together we have improved his and my confidence with hacking alone.

So, I will be 40 in about 6 months time, for my birthday hubby has very kindly said that he will fulfil my childhood dream and buy me my own horse! I know that my friend would likely be happy to sell me my loan horse, if I decide to ask her. I'm undecided. Before this loan I had a share on a connemara who I did schooling and some jumping on, nothing world-beating but I did quite enjoy it. So, the question is- do I buy the horse that I know and like but that will restrict me to being a happy hacker? Or do I look for something else that's possibly a bit younger and a bit more of an all rounder that I can do some jumping on, possibly take out to local shows etc

Thoughts anyone?

SamBean

Visit site
Hi I've returned last year at 41 after a 10 year gap. I bought 2 with the intention of just hacking although they can do a lot more. (didn't want to have a horse on his own). I have found this fortunate as a riding club has just set up local to me and I keep seeing fun rides and so on that I'd like to do. Although I've not ventured out yet I will be in the next few weeks. I'd really think about it and be realistic about what you would like and where you would love to be doing.

Widgeon

Visit site
Dont buy the loan horse. Look for something that hacks nicely and has the abilty to do some schooling and jumping.

Yes agreed - and I really wouldn't buy anything with known health issues unless they are very minor and you know them inside out. I would keep riding the loan horse and make a list of what you would like in an ideal world. Then decide what you can and can't compromise on, decide a budget, and start looking. Good luck! Let us know how you get on, pics of new beastie (when you find the right one) are of course obligatory.

be positive

Visit site
I agree with the others, having a horse on loan that has health issues and being restricted to what you can do is fine but don't buy a horse with known problems, I would probably suggest keeping him for now and take your time looking, it may take many months to find the right one, plan on having the 2 for a month if you have to give notice rather than give him up and be under pressure to buy one quickly.

vhf

Visit site
You've got six months to really work on your confidence and think about what you want, (not what you think you aught to want! Trust me, as you get older, those things can be different!)
When the time comes, you'll have to be riding strange horses in unfamiliar environments with people you don't know watching you, and you need to do that with confidence too or you'll end up buying a horse that isn't quite the right fit. It's a pretty big ask of yourself so get preparing now - and if you can, go for some lessons on other horses so you can experience some different sizes/shapes so you know what you don't want. If nothing compares to your old boy once you start looking, then you'll have your answer, but don't restrict yourself too soon.

SpringArising

Visit site
There are so, so, SO many horses out there, and whichever one you end up buying will become familiar to you in time, just as your loan horse is now.

Shop around - ride as many different horses as you can. Get a feel for what you like and what you need.

sportsmansB

Visit site
If you have to ask, then maybe he's not the one

Its also worth noting that many, many 13yo horses don't have ongoing health problems and have many more years of schooling and riding club level things to be competitive at- so don't discount the teenagers when you do go looking as temperament and experience wise they are much more likely to be what you are after. You just need a good vet to let you see the ones with the best chance of doing another 8-10 years with you.

Horse2018

Visit site
it Really depends on what you want to do riding wise. If you want to only hack then buy the horse on loan. If you want to do more stuff then I would look at buying a different horse. But just make sure you are buying a horse that suits your riding level. I would not buy anything under the age 8 . I would look for a schoolmaster or a lazy plod along . Just make sure you ready for a horse before buying one they are a big commitment. I wish you the best of luck.

Widgeon

Visit site
I would look for a schoolmaster or a lazy plod along

I don't know if I'd go for a "lazy plod along" - the OP has previously been sharing and enjoying a connie, who are not exactly known for their plod along tendencies....apologies for the nitpicking but I do think "schoolmaster" and "lazy plod" are very different things. OP you don't mention budget so I assume it's not too much of a problem, in which case sportsmansB's suggestion of a healthy middle aged horse who knows a bit about everything seems like a pretty good suggestion.

KINDMARE

Visit site
When i bought my first horse in my 30's i thought i only wanted to hack round the block! now 20 years later im riding at elementary dressage!
i bought my first horse who was a happy hacker then had others that could do more in the way of schooling. what i am trying to say is that you never know what you will want to do once you have your own horse and confidence to progress.

JulesRules

Visit site
I would also have a think about practicalities. Where will you keep the horse and how accessible are competion venues? Do you have access to transport or might you in the future?

As it sounds like you will only ever have one horse it's important to get it right. I never thought I'd own 2 horses but I felt restricted with my mare but would never sell her, so ended up with 2 which is a stretch time wise and financially.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
If it was always your childhood dream to own a horse then do you really want to just restrict yourself to happy hacking? I got back into riding in my 40's and absolutely love doing local shows, jumping, all sorts of things. I got my own horse and I hope you get as much enjoyment as a returner as I have.

emilyjeff

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

Yes I think I would regret it if I restrict myself to just being a happy hacker. This is likely to be the only horse I ever own so would be nice to do a bit of everything, including some jumping and some shows etc.

Julesrules I would keep it on the yard I'm at now. Has a small school and sj and xc field. Have a few friends at the yard with transport so would be able to get lifts etc if wanting to go out and about although may buy my own trailer in future.

Yeah not really keen on the lazy plod idea tbh, I'd like something a bit more forward..I'm a fairly capable rider so don't want something too lazy that I'm gonna get bored of after the first few months.

Anyway thanks for the input, I'm going to tentatively start my horse search as I know it may take a while!

oldie48

Visit site
Don't buy a horse that is just a happy hacker, I think you could become a bit frustrated. My first horse hacked nicely but had so much more to offer. He'd been a good PC eventer, would pop round a course of showjumps, went xc and had good enough paces to do reasonably well UA dressage. Yes he could be a bit cheeky but he never felt unsafe, he could be a bit silly at times but I learned to handle him and he taught me so much. Don't buy a plod. I know so many of them that will plod round on a hack but ask them to work properly and they turn into satan! But whatever you buy be prepared to spend money on lessons with a good trainer so you get the best possible start. Good luck.