Decisions! Would you drive one of these?

dieseldog

Visit site
If I was you I would go for a 7.5t lorry as you could then have some living and it makes a big difference.

For a Lorry Tax - cheaper than a car or a 3.5t - £165/year

Insurance - £200 fully comp any driver.

MOT - because you have to take it to the ministry and not a garage you don't get ripped off as they won't make any money out of failing you.

So if I could legally drive a lorry over 3.5t I would as you will end up with a better box that is a bit more useful as you will be able to make a cup of tea, or stay over in it when you go the 3 day shows compared to a 3.5t. Youdon't have to get something enourmous, I love my little box and its like driving a landrover

Fiona

Visit site
My bro and SiL have one of the 3.5 ton boxes from Cuerden Valley horseboxes who advertise in H&H quite regularly. It regularly takes one and v occasionally 2 16.2 horses on dual carriageway and the odd motorway. I can easily ask about sidewinds on motorway if its important, but imagine it would be 100% better than a jeep and trailer anyway.
We have a 6.5 tonner which is v stable, because is quite low to the ground. Surely you are "old" enough to have a license to drive one. Ours was cheaper than their 3.5 tonner, and has nice day living with a luton for overnights.

Fiona

SydneyB

Visit site
No, I don't think I would. In my last job, I drove a big transit a lot of the time, and the wind really battered it on motorways. That was with a full load of newspapers in (which stay pretty still).

Sorry!

jesterfaerie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks hardcore but that only takes 16hh
frown.gif

And Vicky, again that is a lorry!

Macha thank you very much for your input
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops sorry

Weezy

Visit site
Oh thanks Piaffe and Nat, I never knew that (see am totally clueless!) I just thought that that type meant it had to be plated etc!

DD I cannot have anything that is too big as I have nowhere to put it - really dont need living (I say now, I have my eye on 2 and 3 day shows tho and then will want it!) Just never having driven a lorry I am a bit wary of anything too heavy - also I hate driving gears over here, the bloody stick is on the wrong side, hence I always drive an auto if poss!

piaffe

Visit site
When we were at the Cartier they had some amazing 3.5 boxes. Brand new. There were 4 seats in the cab and the front pair turned around and to face the others with a table in the middle. Sorry, pointless post but it was soooooo cool!

piaffe

Visit site
Good idea. My lorry has a living area too. with cupboards, sink, stove etc. its so compact and cute! BUT, it means the horse section is small, hence the reason we couldnt get anything bigger than V!!!

Weezy

Visit site
Thanks Fiona - agree about jeep and trailer and that is OHs thought behind it, rather have one vehicle battered than 2 interlocked vehicles that could swerve and cause more of a prob!

Fiona

Visit site
I actually saved money though by changing from jeep/trailer to lorry. That's because I now drive a tiny little micra with low rate tax/insurance etc. Not sure you could do that though with your little ones, you would still need a reasonable sized car as well I'm sure.
Fiona

Sooty

Visit site
A lot of smaller van conversions have a higher floor than that giving a higher centre of gravity, and an unstable ride. The floor in that actually looks quite low. It is not an object of great beauty, but looks a lot better suited to the job than many you see.

katiejaye

Visit site
I have a 4x4 at the mo and I am fed up of it and am deciding whether to get a small run around and a box like the one you show. In answer to your Q, yes I would def get a box like that, I have seen a few really nice little box conversions and I think they are great. I'm looking into it at the moment and will most prob at some point buy a small conversion and swap my car in for a little run around. A girl at my yard has one and it's lovely.

NO WAY!!!
But then my horse travels in an HGV so that looks VERY small and flimsy!!
If I had to choose between that and a trailer - not sure which I'd pick.... prob an Ifor Hunter HB10 with massive 4x4 - Range Rover, Landcruiser type

buckybee

Visit site
Hi weezy,

we had the same prob cos bloody drunken mother lost her licence! I'm only a baby so 3 1/2 ton max but couldn't find anything in our price range so ened up with a new wagon for our old box.

Have you looked at the kind of lorry you are looking at but are built into a more box type structure? they are really cool!!

xx

lucysnapshot

Visit site
I dont like it! I have a new x reg renault master (dont have any pics!) and it costs the same and takes 2 17.2hh those types of boxes havnt been converted properly. I got mine converted by a family friend who converts boxes from all over the country

Kezza

Visit site
I had one of these without the extended roof which will take up to a 16.2hh. I never ever found it unstable, even with 2 horses on board as it has a really low centre of gravity as the horses are situated between the front and rear wheels rather than above them. I cannot comment on how stable this one is with the extra roof bit though.

I loved mine and I only sold it as I didn't use it enough and I also never started it up so it just sat there for 2 years.

I now have a trailer which is fine but scary to drive and I cannot reverse it at all ...

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
The only thing I'd worry about is only having one little wheel at each side, front and back. What happens if the tyre bursts? Not sure I'd like that. Would somebody tell me if it might be a problem? Do they have a different wheel or tyre spec?
confused.gif

lorenababbit

Visit site
weezy, dont do it. There is no way the chassis and engine spec was ever designed for the sort of payload two horses will be. there will always be people who tell you their version is great, if they are using it they are hardly going to tell you otherwise on here in case they get a hard time fot not putting horses first. Extending the roof makes them very unstable, again it has affected the initial design and IMO these vehicles should not be advertised to carry large horse. If you think about it by the time they have reinforced the floor and panels to stand up to horses, i cannot believe you will get the payload required for big horses. i dont care for our trailer but rather that than this. And just for the record i do have my HGV and until a year ago did driving agency work to earn my cash so have a fair bit experience quite apert from any horse vehicles i have driven and there has been a few of those.

Parkranger

Visit site
A girl at our yards got one - hysterical trying to load a 16.2 TB sideways in one.....will always go down as one of my best comedy moments!

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

This one
ginnymobile.jpg

but its mine
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very similar to my old one - I loved it so easy to drive, super fuel consumption.

Ideal for the one horse owner
smile.gif

Ours was made by Marlborough horse boxes - (nr blackpool) i think they are in the back of H&H.

I had a 17.2 in mine and he fitted fine
smile.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys - think I may be back to trailer and 4x4 for the immediate time and if I am out a lot look to upgrading to something like Nic's box - do still like the van conversions, but maybe they are better placed for lighter horses/ponies? I would think when my girl is fit and muscly she would be about 600kg!

Cheers for all the input!

lisan

pets.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
Nat and Piaffe - both nice but they are lorries - wouldnt be a normal MOT would they?

[/ QUOTE ]
They actually require a class 7 MOT so you need to make sure your Mot place do those! I took mine to the ambulance station, it was only £40!

lillie07

Visit site
Hi! I havn't read the replies so sorry if I just repeat what everybody else has said.
I hired one of those last year to bring my 17hh big ISH home from Northamptonshire as the lorry was off the road and I was really really impressed!! They are deceptively big inside, lovely to drive, and my 3 year old at the time traveled really well in it. It didn't struggle at all even on steep hills and in the strong winds with big heffa on board! He had plenty of head room and plenty of width- though you wouldnt believe it looking from the outside! The only downside was that the ramp was split in two- which meant that there was a canopy over the ramp which worried me slighty loading such a big young horse but he was fine. Sorry for the ramble. Hope that helps
smile.gif

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not really bothered with how it looks (otherwise I would be wanting an Oakley LOL), just how they handle - especially in the wind and on the M'Way

[/ QUOTE ]

Having driven that kind of van, for the purpose for which it was built - NOT carrying livestock - I never wish to do so again! It was like trying to steer a sinking ship in a storm! Sorry, but I'm really not a fan + I've heard a fair few stories about the quality of the conversions - not saying for this particular company, but for these vehicles in general.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh hooray someone else who has driven one who endorses them - actually should be saying *oh bugger* as now I am waivering again!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not hire one for a day and take your horse for a long trip on all types of road. That way you can base your decision on your own experiences?