Decisions...

Marchogaeth

Visit site
Okay, so the time is now right for me to buy my first horse! I started riding 11yrs ago, and have had a couple on loan, but now I'm in an ideal situation to buy! :O
My wonderful riding instructor has offered me livery at his yard, a small very riding school, and I have all that side of things sorted, I just don't have a horse yet!
Anyway, I was originally looking for a nice alrounder, that hacks, jumps, goes well on the flat, just something to have fun with really, no serious competing or anything like that but ideally I was looking for my forever horse.
But, said instructor has offered me a beautiful coldblood of his, who I immediately fell I love with, he's smaller than I was looking for, but much chunkier, he naps (a lot! Not danergous just naughty) he won't hack alone, (nappy again) but he does jump! The thing is despite all this, I absolutely adore him, I don't now if its just me, but when he goes properly he feels perfect, to handle he's a bit bargey but so affectionate, the sort if horse who would become your best friend.
I just don't know? He's so different from what I imagined myself buying?
Good points are he's already settled as he would stay there, he will hack in company (and alone with lots of leg) he can go beautifully on the flat when he's not napping and he'll jump just about anything!
Do I get him, work through his napping and make him into the horse he can be? Or do I get something for myself, to go further in my riding??
He feels right though, my heart says him, but my head doesn't know....
Urgghh, he's to much for the riding school, and if I don't buy him where will the amazing boy end up?? I can't stop thinking about him, I always look foreword to seeing him and every time I do it makes me want him more?

Sorry if I sound pathetic! I'm just so confused? Instructor has mentioned having him on a couple if months trial, do you think this would be best? Idk?

Sorry it's so long, it's just been eating away at me for a while now!

Thank you :)Xxx

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Take the trial, but bear in mind if you can't get through the napping , hacking alone would be a problem. We have one on our yard similar, napping has improved and he now will go in front, but on own is still a battle of wills! You may fall more in love with him, will he be able to do all you want to do, or is the yard owner seeing you are smitten, offloading him onto you?
Sometimes our heart is not the right one to follow...

RainbowDash

Visit site
I'd have a trial if you are really interested. Some issues can be worked on but buying is a big commitment you have to be sure you can grow with this horse x

Spring Feather

Visit site
Ooh it sounds like a difficult dilemma for you. For me it would be much more simple but I've bought horses for years and I know exactly what I want and if the horse isn't that then he doesn't come home with me no matter how sweet he might be. For you it's different and your heart is ruling here. I guess if you are very attached to this horse then a trial would probably be worth a shot, if you are experienced enough then there's nothing really there that would be a long term problem, however once you've sorted him out, then what? Will he do the things you want to do? Alternatively, have him, do what you can on him, teach him to be a better behaved animal, enjoy him for a year or two and then sell him on and get your perfect partner at a later date.

Lulup

Visit site
Seems a little convenient for your instructor to be able to offload this horse on to you - if you told him that you were going to try a horse that napped and didn't hack alone my guess is that he would advise you against it - the only difference being that he is the seller in this instance = conflict of interest.

As your long awaited first horse my advice would be to hold out for one that ticks more of your boxes - they can develop enough problems along the way as it is without buying a bolshy/nappy one in the first place..

FfionWinnie

Visit site
How will you sort the napping, if the instructor who is presumably experienced, has not been able to? I would be very wary as if he behaves like this in experienced hands he could be a million times worse when ridden by just you.

You list the first thing you want with your allrounder horse, as a hacker. He doesn't hack! He is smaller than you wanted, chunkier than you wanted and I'm afraid I would have to question your "wonderful" instructors motivation here.

I would not have a trial, the trial is to make you fall in love with him and want him regardless of his suitability.

LeannePip

Visit site
I agree with the above take a trial and se how it goes but I know first hand with a cobblood of my own ;) they are vERY strong willed and if they don't want to hack alone they flat out wont and trying to persuade them too may not be an easy task! You may think you can do without hacking alone but what about if you want to go to a hunter trial or similar, if he's napping you may not even get out the box then it doesn't matter how well he jumps! But saying that I was hacking with a livery yesterday nattering away about how much we live our ponies but also that the ones we have we would have never picked or even gone to look at! She was looking for a big flashy classy horse to do a bit of everything to a Decent level ad her perfect horse is a big cobby Irish bog horse who only hunts and team chases has major anxiety issues and can't do anything on his own! I wanted something about 9yo coloured gelding been there done that, ended up with a yearling bay filly! (Now 5yo and the most fun horse I have ever owned and a cobblood too) but the point is if it wasn't for a chance encounter with both of these horses we could both be 4/5 horses down still trying to find something half as good!

zoelouisem

Visit site
Naughty nappy horses are just as expensive to keep as good ones I would steer clear personally.
Just because you have a stable ready don't fill it will a horse just for the sake of it, you've waited for a long time for a horse wait a bit longer for the right one.
If you were reading this thread and it was somebody else's dilemma what would your advice be to them or your first thought? It would probably be steer clear!!

WelshD

Visit site
I'm always suspicious when a YO rustles up a horse for sale....

If the instructor can't sort him out is she going to be able to help you with the horse?

I'd look for something more suitable - a less than ideal horse costs as much to keep as a great one

indie999

Visit site
Sounds like disaster to me

Yep I agree with this. Dont let your heart and kindness rule your head. If you enjoy hacking how on earth will you ever be able to just pop on and go for a quiet hack alone. You will always be tied to finding someone to ride out with.

Get an all rounder. Its true you will never find a perfect horse but try to find one that is going to not make you worry from the start. I am guessing as soon as you hand your money over you could be on your own.You risk never resolving the napping & being left with a pile of trouble. If the lady selling is experienced horse person thats why she is off loading it.

Some horse folk like a challenge of a horse with issues but as its your first horse make it easy for yourself and look for something more suitable.

If your gut instinct holds doubt go with it. Say NO.

mandwhy

Visit site
The most important question for me would be price!

It can be great for a horse who doesn't get on in a riding school to have one on one attention, but will it be great for you? And good point that if your instructor hasn't managed it, how will you? That said though, my horse was a lot like you describe when I first had her and now she is so much better. I had some lessons to help me with it.

Unfortunately a few riding schools may palm off horses that are not useful to them onto their students, and often not at a sensible price.

I think you should look elsewhere at least for comparison.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Don't buy problems.., unless its v cheap. As a first horse I'd run a mile from this one. It's very very hard to sell horses so unless your heart and head say yes then run a mile

It costs as much to keep a badden as a gooden

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Don't buy him unless you can see yourself doing him justice, it would be better for him to have a chance with another owner if he isn't all (or most) of what you're looking for.

That said, my current horse was completely different to what I was looking for and she's turned out to be the best horse I've had. Don't know what possessed me to buy her, but she's by far, the most special horse I could have wished for.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Simples, no good for riding school, dump on first mug through the gate. Keep as livery, make money, teach, make money.

Never buy known trouble as a first horse. Not what you want to hear, sorry but your instructor has seen a convenient and profitable off load.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Don't touch it with a bargepole. There are plenty of troublefree horses looking for homes. It takes a certain mindset to deal with a nappy horse and it is hard work and not what you need for a first horse.

I also would not think of your riding instructor as a wonderful person if they are trying to palm off a troublesome horse on you. It happens a lot.

soulfull

Visit site
I agree with those that say no don't even consider him. As others say if instructor hasn't sorted him how can you. I bet if you ask instructor will say I haven't really had the time to so it. Rubbish horse would be worth
More money and easier to sell, any pro would find time

Problem with nappy and bargy horses is they nearly always get a lot worse with new owners. Next he will nap in the schools, if he doesn't already
Sorry but I've been there with horses like him and it wasn't until I got a nice horse that I realised I had spent 8 years working 10 times harder than I needed too!

There are lots of nice horses out there!

Hetsmum

Visit site
OK 2 things here......head vrs heart. The first horse I ever bought was bought with my heart. My parents didn't know much about horses.....I was just 14. I fell off most weekends as she was nappy, young and very green! But she taught me more about riding than any other horse I have had since and I adored her. She was one of those horses of a lifetime and we went far. Had I bought with my head I would never have had that experience....I only lost her due to her ill health later in life. That said on an internet forum we should be the voice of reason! So I would take the trial - a couple of months if you can. Call me mad but all my horses I have bought with my heart and a gut feeling and it has never let me down yet.
Some posters have commented about the horse being nappy and the riding instructor not being able to sort it out.....sorry I worked in a riding school for many years and a couple of things are 1) you don't have a lot of time to sort out difficult horses - you need good reliable horses immediately and 2) not every horses is suited to the riding school environment and I think that is especially true of a nappy horse. They need consistancy and with lots of different riders they just don't get that.
Whatever YOUR decision good luck. :)

SusieT

Visit site
nappy horses can start naughty but quickly turn dangerous-what if he naps while a car comes past? You can get lots of horses that don't nap! And your instructor should not be suggesting this horse a good first horse-he's probbaly trying to sell it to you in the hope you will be naive enough to buy him

Hoofprints in the Snow

Visit site
If he was the horse for you, you wouldn't have posted on here. You have doubts, so I'd walk away this time and keep looking. If you take your time and have a good look around the right one will be out there, and you won't need to ask, you will know! Don't let your instructor make you feel you have to buy his, as others have said it would be too easy for him to sell you his. Good luck.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I don't think I would buy him, I would also find it difficult to buy a horse from someone and still keep it on their yard, would sort of feel like they would question everything I was doing etc! I would continue looking for that horse you did imagine and if nothing else compares then reconsider him?

LadyGroom

New User
Visit site
Oh bless you OP i know exactly how you feel! I've been riding 16 years and only just got my first horse.

I've been a keen jumper all my life riding friends horses and showing them here and there and when it came to me getting my first horse I couldn't wait! I wanted to buy the first one I saw however..sometimes its best to look around a bit as this first horse was a dream in the school and to jump but when the owner didn't let me handle him in the stable (grooming and tacking up etc) i got a bit paranoid..so after a ride I decided to dismount in the school and lead him back to the stable (instead of riding him back onto the yard which the owner said i should do) just to get some time handling him on the ground..i tried to lead him back but as soon as he got near the stable he dug his hooves into the ground and refused to budge..and then REARED when i told him to walk on!

Anyway long story short I now have my dream neddie :) shes 4 years old but a very quick learner and really will be my forever horse :) The proper horse for you is worth the wait! Don't rush into anything! you'll regret it!

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Do you have an experienced friend who could try the horse and give you an honest opinion? I would say go for something that's as easy as possible to start, but that said I bought a horse I shared for a few months who was nothing like I would have wanted... and we're having lots of fun. Either way good luck!

Fjord

Visit site
It's a difficult one. On paper I bought an unsuitable first horse as a complete novice. She was nappy, shorter than I wanted, female when I wanted a gelding, overweight and unfit, hadn't been ridden for months and wouldn't hack alone with her previous owner. It could have been a disaster but the saving grace of it was that she was safe and had the sweetest nature. Four years on and she is a fab, brave pony who will try anything.

I'd question why this horse is nappy at the moment. How much have you done with him, how many different situations have you seen him in. Yes, your instructor could just be trying to offload him, or it could be that he we will thrive in a one to one relationship. If you had him on trial and he didn't come up to scratch, could you hand him back?

Think carefully, there are many horses out there that will win your heart, but on the other hand slightly difficult horses can also turn into diamonds.

Sarah20

Visit site
Definitely don't rush!!! My YO tried selling me one...i had just literally sold my last as things didnt work out so i started riding this mare she had offered. After only a few weeks of riding I decided she was way too small, and then she tried giving me lots of conditions with buying her...can be used in lessons etc. So so so glad I didn't...at one point I felt like it would be so amazing as I can get my confidence back, but then all these things started cropping up and I was getting really pressured into buying her so I said No!!! Trial is definitely a good idea :)

be positive

Visit site
My thoughts on this are that there are positives in that the trial period being offered is more than you will get buying an unknown horse which may be ideal on paper and appear perfect when tried but can change once moved and in a new home this may not happen but by having this horse you remove some of the risk.
It should be in the interests of your YO/ instructor to match you with a suitable horse, you are a long term client and they should value your custom not want to sell you a dodgy horse to off load it and potentially lose a valued client. I have sold horses to clients and really want it to work out, it is not good for my reputation to sell something unsuitable just to make a quick profit, the long term livery is more valuable to me.
You seem to enjoy riding the horse, the napping may be because it is usually ridden in a group and has less capable riders on it so takes the easy option when possible, the YO probably has not tried that hard to sort it if it does the job required, if you have a trial there will be time to assess how it responds to being out of the school environment working on building up its trust and confidence to go alone. Have a time frame for the trial, agree a price before you start in case it improves so much the owner wants more than he may do now, get it vetted before you buy.

There is a lot to be said for the devil you know and in this case I would give it serious consideration.