Dectomax for pinworms..?

squiz22

Visit site
Hi All,

Goodness knows how but mine has a pin worm problem but he does. Everything else is fine but we can't shift them and he's rubbed his tail and bottom raw. the vet is going to give him a dectomax injection.. does anyone know much about this? I can't find an awful lot on line and I wondered of anyone else has used it to get pin worms under control?

squiz22

Visit site
a 5 day?

I have no idea how he's got them. The vet has contacted me via his secretary to say shes coming out to give him two injections, one to stop the itching and another to treat the pin worms. The secretary couldn't explain anymore only that one was dectomax which I suspect is for the itching bit but not the pinworms..

confused.com! Just wanted it sorted out.

galaxy

Visit site
Yes that's the one. I think Dectomax is the one they usually give for mites? Not 100% sure without looking it up.

We had obvious pinworms in droppings after worming and the itching problem went overnight.

squiz22

Visit site
Thats very interesting because I suggested that to the vet who then said panacur isn't effective in the south east any more because worms have built up a resistence which I thought.. I also see you are hampshire and therefore in the South East!

I've left a message with the vet to call me and discuss because I need to be sure they are going to treat the pin worms not just the itch otherwise its a massive waste of the call out etc.

galaxy

Visit site
The pinworms caused our itchiness and Panacur Gaurd definitly cured it!!

We had to use PG last winter too when one of the horses had a Roundworm problem that Pramox didn't clear. PG cleared it and we worm counted after to check too.

I think Panacur Guard gets a very bad press sometimes and doesn't deserve it. It definitly works up our yard. But then our horses have not been historically over wormed and we have a low turnover of horses, so maybe they have not had the chance to become resistant?

anyway, I would give Panacur Guard a go first.

squiz22

Visit site
ok Thanks. I've used it once before and it was at the same time we'd wormed using equest.. i am sure it was fine to use it in addition. Is that what you did? I don't want to over worm?

Borderreiver

Visit site
For Pinworm the best wormers are the old fashioned ones and 5 day Panacur is a good treatment as it gets through to the back of the horse where the pinworms are.

Yes your vet is correct that there is much worm resistance to Panacur, for REDWORM that is.

Where pinworm or roundworm (ascarids) are concerned it can still be a good choice and also if you use it for encysted redworm where it has been established that there are not too many resistant worms. You this by resistance testing before and after worming.

Good luck with the pinworm treatment as they are unfortunately difficult to get rid of.

Perissa

Visit site
My friend had terrible problems getting rid of them in her elderly mare, including have a Dectomax injection. It didn't work and honestly If I were you I would cancel the vet coming and save your money.

The only things that worked was Panacur 5 day, Andy Durham at Liphook Equine Hospital, who has lectured on the subject, advised her to give the mare a 5 day treatment every 4 weeks for 3 months. This finally cleared them. Apparently you can also use Strongid P.

Totally agree with Borderreiver, the resistance is well documented for redworm, not all worms.

galaxy

Visit site
ok Thanks. I've used it once before and it was at the same time we'd wormed using equest.. i am sure it was fine to use it in addition. Is that what you did? I don't want to over worm?

I'm sure Equest and Panacur do the same thing.... so no, don't use both together. you ONLY need to use Panacur. PG doesn't cover tapeworm, so if you want to worm for that, then you need a seperate wormer like Equitape.

We only used PG. I think it is unecessary and def over loading with chemicals if you do both at the same time!!!!

irishdraft

Visit site
OP I agree with the others, I have had the same problem with 2 youngsters I phoned my vet last week, I am in the south east, who said panacur 5 day treatment apparently the old fashioned wormers are best for pin worm, modern wormers, equest etc are not that efficient at removing them. One of my youngsters was passing live pinworms god knows where they came from as they are wormed regularly and poo picked everyday, I didnt have any trouble with itching but anyway just the odd dead one is now coming thru so its every 6 weeks with a white wormer to break the cycle if the problem persists, didnt mention dectomax but then i didnt have itching.

Harveydales

Visit site
I'm just about to start a 5 day course of Panacur Equine Guard for pinworm in my lot. I've also been told it is one of the best for pinworm and also that pinworm is infestations are becoming increasingly common. I'd never had the problem in 30 years of horse keeping but have now. I didn't realise that they won't show up in faecal egg counts.

I've been told to wash areas where the horses may have rubbed their bums and also to keep the bum, area clean with baby wipes to try and break the cyle of re-infection.

Sam22

Visit site
I would try Panacur 5 day before any thing else but be prepared that this may not work. If not then triple dose of pyrantal (strongid P or pyratape P or Exodus). Stubborn cases are best managed with the addition of ivermectin applied to then anus in a mixture with propylene glycol every day for a month. You must also clean the environment. Oxyuris eggs are very resilient so stable, grooming kit and rugs must be disinfected.
I can't see why dectomax injections would work when the active ingredient is the same as ivermectin wormers which you have already used and you cant double dose it. Dectomax is not expensive but with vet visit on top it will be compared to other methods. Maybe your vet has good experience using it for pinworm - perhaps you could ask her when you speak to her and let us know.

squiz22

Visit site
The vet came down Friday and was insistent that dectomax is the way forward. As I got back I the yard this eve I saw a live pin worm come out and lay eggs. It was horrible! So how do I know when its supposed to start working. Poor horse can't continue like this. I'm anxious because I wanted to Do a 5 day originally and going on the posts in here it looks like this would have got it sorted.

irishdraft

Visit site
Squizz22 dont get too anxious about your horse, yes its not nice seeing live worms in your horse but pinworms will not cause the damage internally that redworm does.

BlacknWhite

Visit site
I'm surprised dectomax has been recommended for treatment of oxyuris (pinworm). Although it's from the same family (Macrocyclic lactones) as the ivermectin drugs which are licensed to treat pinworm, it's not exactly the same drug - it's doramectin rather than ivermectin. It's also not actually a licensed drug for horses, and, as it's given subcutaneously, it may not be particularly effective at getting rid of internal parasites.
I'd go for either panacur 5-day guard, or treat with an ivermectin wormer orally and using a blob (100kg-worth) topically just within the anus. Given that oxyuris may now be showing ivermectin resistance (anecdotal evidence rather than published - had a few cases where ivermectin didn't seem to be shifting the blighters), I'd opt for treating with 5-day guard.

squiz22

Visit site
So even having had a Pramox and a Dectomax inj you think its ok to use a 5 day on top? I think I'll give it a few more days perhaps to see if they ahve gone.. no sign of them this morning which was positive.

Thanks for all the posts too - very helpful!

galaxy

Visit site
When did you give the Pramox?

If the injection had worked I would expect you to be seeing dead worms in her droppings. We certainly did!