Deep flexor tendon

Pick and mix

Visit site
Follow on from mri

So some concern over flexor tendon I presume into his foot as that was mri first , and they have suggested not to reshoe as they may need change of shoes , have sent mri off so dodnt know any other information apart from this 🥲🥲 horse is completely sound and been in full work for the past three months without any issues hoping good outcome

Sossigpoker

Visit site
If there's a concern over the DDFT he needs to be rested now , not worked,.as once injured the tendon is much more likely to re-injure.
Why do they need to send the MRI off? Do they not have vets who can interpret and diagnose from them ?

Sheep

Visit site
Keep us posted on what the outcome is, my horse had an injury like that in March 2022 and has just started doing bits of work in the arena.

@Sossigpoker might not be the same scenario as the OP but when my horse had his MRI, he was referred to go to Troytown Equine Hospital down in Co Kildare, then the imaging was sent off to Bell Equine for interpretation and the report fed back to my vet in NI

Pick and mix

Visit site
He’s currently rested while we wait for the resutls he is completey sound even at the clinic as they couldn’t block just have no idea if something minor

Sossigpoker

Visit site
He’s currently rested while we wait for the resutls he is completey sound even at the clinic as they couldn’t block just have no idea if something minor
This is typical of a tendon or ligament injury. It seems to get better with rest but then gets massively worse if exercise is started too soon /too much of it.

Sheep

Visit site
This is typical of a tendon or ligament injury. It seems to get better with rest but then gets massively worse if exercise is started too soon /too much of it.

Totally. Mine wasn’t particularly lame initially, at first vet thought it was very very unlikely to be a soft tissue injury. Unfortunately it was!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Totally. Mine wasn’t particularly lame initially, at first vet thought it was very very unlikely to be a soft tissue injury. Unfortunately it was!
Mine was on and off lame probably about a year before his DDFT went.
Sadly I wasn't very clued up then.

Sheep

Visit site
Mine was on and off lame probably about a year before his DDFT went.
Sadly I wasn't very clued up then.
Oh I completely understand what you mean. We were totally clueless as well tbh, thankfully our boy has been a star patient and we’ve had the luxury of being able to take our rehab very slowly and steadily with great support around us. It is a nightmare though and wouldn’t wish it on anyone!
How did yours get on recovery wise?

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Me too, on off for a couple of months. Id call the vet, they would come out next day to block and she would be sound when they arrived . Very frustrating.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Oh I completely understand what you mean. We were totally clueless as well tbh, thankfully our boy has been a star patient and we’ve had the luxury of being able to take our rehab very slowly and steadily with great support around us. It is a nightmare though and wouldn’t wish it on anyone!
How did yours get on recovery wise?
He had a 3.5cm tear under his navicular but against all odds I got him sound enough for a summer of hacking. But in the autumn the tendon was sadly injured further ,.I don't know how , but it was then torn in further 3 places and I had to make the decision to let him go. The prognosis for even being able to be retired was extremely guarded then so I chose to end his pain. I was beyond devastated, I'd had him for nearly 15 years.

Before the first "proper" injury I wasn't with my current vets so when he had the occasional mild lameness I probably didn't get the best advice, hence it went on until one day he was on 3 legs. I've learned a lot from it and like you , I wouldn't wish a DDFT injury on anyone !
My boy had a terrible injury so it's not to say that smaller lesions won't recover with time and rehabilitation.
Apparently if the lesion is 4 cm or bigger , the prognosis is guarded - and mine initially had a 3.5 cm tear , so the odds were against him to start with.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
One of mine has a suspected DDFT tear but we elected not to MRI. She was mildly lame with it but not terribly lame. She did six months of box and pen rest, and has had a year in the field. I’ve just started riding her in straight lines. She’s doing really well but obviously we have a long way to go and we are going to take this as slowly as possible. I’m not going to think of doing more until the spring.