Deep litter beds (again...sorry!)

forever broke

Visit site
I'm thinking of changing my boy to a deep litter bedding system and have been researching what might be suitable. I've done lots of thread searches on here to deicide what might be best and have a few questions.
The options available from my supplier are:
Bedwell equinola @ £8.75 a bale
Nedz bed pro @ £8.25
Hemcore @ £9.50
Nedz bed advance @ £8.49
Megazorb @ £7.49
Blue Ribbon wood pellets @ £7.45 (!)
I know I can get these all cheaper by the pallet or from different suppliers but I haven't got that kind of money spare at the mo'.
What would be my most economical option? Pony is not hugely wet, doesn't dig or box walk, but always pees in the same spot. I have rubber mats but want a full bed on top. Was thinking bedwell/hemcore on top of a megazorb base. Does it really need a base or will it work better without? And how many bales to start in a 10' x10' box?

asif

Visit site
shavings.. i have some bits of rubber matting at the bottem then the shavings... its clean and dosnt smell.. i use about 1 bale ever 1.5/2weeks

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I use straw too, start it deep, let it compact, dont disturb the base and you will have no smell, and top up when needed. At my last livery i was using only 1 bale of straw at £3 a week. Hes been out since with a shelter (deep littered straw naturally lol) and il be doing the same again when i move him back to livery in six weeks time. Doddle to skip out, lovely deep springy bed, doesnt smell and a well maintained bed with stable drainage can last ages.

Undecided

Visit site
Blue Ribbon! I'm on it at the moment and do a weekly deep litter although it packs down into a solid base that you could easily leave it for longer. I pay about £4 a bag as we bought a pallet :)

Redequus

Visit site
Start with 2 bales of straw and add about 1/3 of a bale a day. I add about 1/3 of a bale every other day, and sweep the redundant hay left on the floor into the bed too.

DipseyDeb

Visit site
I use straw too, start it deep, let it compact, dont disturb the base and you will have no smell, and top up when needed. At my last livery i was using only 1 bale of straw at £3 a week. Hes been out since with a shelter (deep littered straw naturally lol) and il be doing the same again when i move him back to livery in six weeks time. Doddle to skip out, lovely deep springy bed, doesnt smell and a well maintained bed with stable drainage can last ages.

How often do you dig out?

Hedwards

Visit site
All I'd say is I can buy Blue Ribbon pellets by the individual bag for £4.75, and if you buy 6 you get one free... So I'd day don't bother paying £7 a bag for that!

forever broke

Visit site
I hate mucking out straw and my boy eats it. Wouldnt worry me too much but he has a ridiculously sensitive gut and would almost certainly get colic.
Yes hedwards I thought that was hugely expensive for the blue ribbon! Was thinking of giving a pellet bed a try but cant afford a pallet at the mo and I'm not paying that much for a bag when I know its so much cheaper elsewhere!

alex2

Visit site
I have a very wet horse, found wood pellets eventually became like a peat bog!
I have recently switched to Miscanthus (Easypack) and with deep litter this is working and staying reasonably dry over a week, so one bale a week once started.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I use straw.

Dig? Hah hah... you don't dig until spring!!!

best not to disturb a straw deep litter bed, that's the beauty... the longer it's down, the more absorbent it becomes, strangest thing. Also, it's very springy and gives off some heat.

Doesn't smell unless you DO dig it. Just take out the poo and add a clean layer as and when.

My filly likes to eat her fresh bed so I have to add more than most, but at £2.50 a bale, I don't really care.