Deep littering straw?

hayinamanger

Visit site
I've had a couple of horses in this week, put them on straw as they love it and won't pee on wood pellets or shavings. Within 2 days they are both stamping, so have picked up mites from the straw. Anyone else have this problem?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I do both. The Highland is on rubber mats with a straw bed which is mucked out fully every day and left up to let the mats dry. The shettie is in a huge stable (its the only one left). I bed the corner of the box and muck out completely maybe twice through the winter. This way she has a nice deep bed, she has a shake of fresh straw on top every day, but most importantly for her, she doesnt eat the old stuff. The bed is nice and stable and I know she sleeps on it. Its helpful that she poos on the concrete so minimal mucking out.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I think deep littering is brilliant at this time of the year. Not only does it reduce the amount of time spent mucking out (every minute counts when you work full time and its dark freezing) but it also gives off some heat for the horse.

I didnt know about putting a sprinkling of lime down though so that will be interesting as when i do get my horse (seems like the never ending search at the moment ...) I will be having it on deep litter for the winter at least :D

Ashleigh_

Visit site
Deep litter, with full muck out saturday and a bit of 'top up' straw added on mondays, wednesdays and fridays.
259822_10151348183901474_226953550_n.jpg

Baring in mind Ronnie is really wet and generally disgusting, deep littering is the only way to not waste a huge amount of bedding and also afford to give him a nice comfy bed. I've also noticed because it has a firm base from the wet, his bed doesn't get dug up by his cobby dinner plate feet, and he never ends up lying on a thin area. Everybody's happy! :)

Tnavas

Visit site
Ashleigh that looks to be a lovely bed but to me it looks just like a normal bed. For it to be a deep litter it needs to be about twice the depth of the bed you have. The banks need to be whacked in and down and may take up to a bale or two to get them solid enough to prevent a horse getting cast.

It is not deep littering if you dig it up at the weekends. That just makes you a heap of work and costs far more than if you leave it.

Deep litter beds stay down all winter and often longer.

Just pick up the poo and forget the wet - you'll be surprised how dry it is

nedzy

Visit site
This has been really useful, great tips! I was going to put down rubber mats under mine next time, is that a good or bad idea? Obviously I wouldn't be able to lift the mats then until big clear out so am wondering if mats are not needed with deep litter, and actually hinder the process?

Antw23uk

Visit site
This has been really useful, great tips! I was going to put down rubber mats under mine next time, is that a good or bad idea? Obviously I wouldn't be able to lift the mats then until big clear out so am wondering if mats are not needed with deep litter, and actually hinder the process?

I should think mats would hinder it perhaps? :confused:

angel7

Visit site
I definately would not waste time and money with the mats, simply not needed as they will be under at least 2 feet of compacted straw.

I did do a deep litter in a stable with mats, just made them very smelly, squidgy and wet when I eventually dug it out 6 months later. Much better on concrete base.

I agree picture above is not a deep litter. The base should be at least the height of the banks shown and the banks twice as big again. I also have the straw right up to the door so no oxygen getting into base layer.

I have not had issues with mites and straw, treated with frontline on arrival and no more problems.
When laying the bed I make a big pile of shook out straw in one corner. I let it fall off the fork and pat it down firmly where it falls. I do the whole stable then start again, essentially building up layers of compacted straw. The key is to be generous with it and fastidious in lifting out all traces of poo.

Ashleigh_

Visit site
Sorry then guys, didn't know it wasn't considered a true deep litter! Said method was recommended to me by another livery and works really great for us after trying different beddings/systems :) Certainly the cheapest way I've found for us anyway. Each horse is different I guess and what works for some maybe doesn't for others :)

Ashleigh_

Visit site
Oh and I'd like to assure the previous poster that those banks are very sturdy indeed, although I appreciate perhaps don't look it from the photo. Marks on the wall in his stable were left over from previous racehorses who used the yard and aren't related to any non existent previous casting incidents :)