Deep snow

sally2

Visit site
I am thinking of starting a club for the chronically depressed due to 12inches of snow and drifts so high you spend most of the day getting to your nags to feed them and the rest of the day getting back home only to go through the same thing an hour later. Pass me the whisky bottle.

JamesEarwaker

www.jamesearwaker.co.uk
sorry to upset you more but ours has all but gone now but they have forecast more 2moro and maybe more next week, if this happens ill join, ill bring a bottle too
smile.gif

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Oh god tell me about it, not to mention no water in the field or stables, so I'm spending half my life traipsing in and out of the house with water. Last night it was -8 so we've got lovely frozen bits where they've been walking. Sometimes living in Scotland sucks
mad.gif

I have no idea how I'm going to fit in work next week too!

samuelhorse

Visit site
this has been like it now for 2 weeks in the north east, now we have an icy bank to contend with to get to the farm, an ungritted yard, and now the white stuff has gone from the paddock a heap of mud!!!

Enfys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking of starting a club for the chronically depressed due to 12inches of snow and drifts so high you spend most of the day getting to your nags to feed them and the rest of the day getting back home only to go through the same thing an hour later. Pass me the whisky bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tip, as soon as the snow gets deep enough to shovel or plough a track then DO IT, and KEEP doing it. Wheelbarrow or sled wide will do, then grit or salt it. Use a sled to haul hay/feed/water, why exhaust yourself pushing wheels when a sled slides behind you? Works for me
smile.gif
I like snow, it makes me happy, no S.A.D, I hate this grey depressing winter I am having so far.

In a normal winter my yard is like spaghetti junction with ploughed tracks from house to barns to woodshed and paddocks, I even have a roundabout around the swimming pool so that I don't have to fanny about with reversing the quad or tractor
blush.gif
Last year accumulated drifts at the side of ploughed tracks reached 4' high.

hussar

Visit site
So glad to know I'm not the only one! I loved the snow when it first came - haven't seen it this deep and beautiful in years - but after two weeks of hauling wheelbarrows of feed and hay (and belatedly realising my old boy can't be bothered ploughing his way to the river to drink so was dehydrating so now I have to lug water for him too) I am officially fed up with it.

Enfys, I have been trying to persuade OH to clear tracks but he thinks it's a waste of time as fresh snow keeps falling. I've now broken our snow-shovel ...

firm

www.blacklaw-stud.com
I'll join too
cool.gif
It has been so cold here, -15 and everything has been frozen. It does look beautiful though but taking water out to the fields which freezes almost straight away arghhh!

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd join that club
crazy.gif
. Seriously fed up now, its snowed daily for 2 weeks...as soon as it melts an inch another one replaces it! The snow is deep and frozen solid, exhausting dragging hay and water buckets through it
frown.gif
. My poor pony is not happy at all, its such hard work for him to plough his way around the field
frown.gif

Its set to snow tomorrow and over weekend, and not getting above freezing all next week
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Enfys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Enfys, I have been trying to persuade OH to clear tracks but he thinks it's a waste of time as fresh snow keeps falling. I've now broken our snow-shovel ...

[/ QUOTE ]

frown.gif
Ah problem. buy him a quad with a plough, he'll do it then! (only half joking, honestly, if you have snow on a regular basis a plough /scraper is a Godsend)
If you keep on top of the fresh snow life is so much easier, at the start of the day my 'walls' may be feet high, but my tracks are only an inch of compacted snow.

DSCF7029.jpg

This was obviously taken early because you can see footprints wading through drifting snow. I still have to wade/dig my way to the barns to get the quad or tractor. My yard is NOT a pretty place in winter.