Dee's feet 12 weeks on.....

ann-jen

Visit site
Sorry some of the pics aren't the best quality but best I can do with foot in one hand and iPhone in the other!
image_zps9b009b84.jpg

image_zps9386b9d7.jpg

image_zps37498a51.jpg

Left fore

image_zpsafa59c2a.jpg

image_zps17dd1732.jpg

Right fore

image_zps79bd5f60.jpg

image_zpsdccc8ac1.jpg

Making slow progress I think!
I think her frogs are starting to look a bit better especially the left one. And some development of the back of her foot finally!
I haven't pictured her hinds but they look much better than the fronts (always have).
Don't know if its my imagination but the lateral cartilages feel more 'springy'
Farrier said she worn the toes quite a bit but are as hard as nails and she's still coping very well.
But still a long way to go I think!

Fides

Visit site
Not sure what her feet were like before but I think she is trimmed slightly long in the toe which is why she might be 'wearing' them... (More so on the right than left...)

ann-jen

Visit site
Her right one is a slightly funny shape but isn't actually longer than the left. I think its my less than perfect photography skills!! And the fact that I didn't get her standing square :-/. When you see the side views you can see what I mean. But yes she is still long in the toe and under run in the heel. Unfortunately at this point they couldn't be shortened without making her sore but they are getting much better!!! :)

Fides

Visit site
Theyre still pretty good looking feet. I would hate to have to take a shod horse barefoot - luckily both of mine have been barefoot from the start. My boy even self trims and only ever needs a rasping for shape.

Good luck :)

ann-jen

Visit site
Thanks. It's a completely new experience for me as I've never had one unshod before. It amazes me how different they can look one week to the next and how rapidly things change! But they are slowly improving and staying sound!

cptrayes

Visit site
Thanks. It's a completely new experience for me as I've never had one unshod before. It amazes me how different they can look one week to the next and how rapidly things change! But they are slowly improving and staying sound!

I still find out exciting every time I do one :)

I'm currently watching in amazement as my horse with kissing spines that were operated on completely changes his foot shape to match the better way he now uses his body.

ann-jen

Visit site
She's sound on most surfaces. Initially she was cautious on stony ground but she's not too bad now. Fine on big stones/uneven surfaces but still ocassionally ouchie on smaller stones. I hack her with boots on for roadwork but with nothing on when hacking round the farm which is a mixture of rough tracks and grassy headlands. And fine in school and competing dressage and show jumping same as she was when she was in shoes (flat instructor actually thinks she moves better!)

ann-jen

Visit site
My other horse is shod and has ks too. She is 19 and slightly arthritic in her hind pastern. I'm considering taking her shoes off behind too as I think it might improve the circulation round her back legs. Thought I'd see how it went with Dee first. But it's looking promising!! :)