Defender/Ifor or 3.5t

Visit site
Hi everyone!

I would be very grateful is I could have some help making a decision!
My options are to a) sit my trailer towing test and buy a second hand defender (about 100k on the clock) and a trailer or b)buy a newly converted 3.5t horsebox.

The defender would only be used for towing (I have a small run-around car).

I would be using either form of transport 3-4 times a month at least.

Which do you think would be the most cost effective (in terms of upkeep, tax, insurance, mpg?). Also how to people find defenders for towing?

Thanks in advance for your help :D

6103claire

Visit site
Hi I use defender and ifor, it tows really well! Is quite economical too although I only tow one horse. I had wondered about getting a 3.5t as would have to pass another test for anything bigger but the decent ones are just so expensive! I'm also not 100% convinced about having the horse just behind my head!

I also have a run around for the rest of the time as defender uses a lot more fuel!

Would ideally like to swap or a small lorry but I can't bring myself to pay for and do the test!

OH isn't keen on idea of selling defender as they hold their money really well as do the ifors, also comes in v handy in the snow!

The only thing I don't like is doing a lot on the motorway with the lorries passing the trailer, never had a problem and horse doesn't seem to care but think a lorry would be a bit more stable :-/

Con234

Visit site
I have a defender and tow an ifor. I regularly tow two big horses with no problems. I find it surprisingly economical compared to what I thought it would be.

Last year I seriously considered swapping for a 3.5t but decided the defender was more useful for the snow (and mud at events!!) and also as I do often take two horses I was more restricted. Certainly haven't regretted my decision to stick with the defender.

perfect11s

Visit site
Hi everyone!

I would be very grateful is I could have some help making a decision!
My options are to a) sit my trailer towing test and buy a second hand defender (about 100k on the clock) and a trailer or b)buy a newly converted 3.5t horsebox.

The defender would only be used for towing (I have a small run-around car).

I would be using either form of transport 3-4 times a month at least.

Which do you think would be the most cost effective (in terms of upkeep, tax, insurance, mpg?). Also how to people find defenders for towing?

Thanks in advance for your help :D
Other 4x4s are availble :D personaly I would avoid anything with Rover in the name unless you have a mecanic in the family or like meeting them and recovery truck drivers...

ROG

Visit site
If only for one horse then you can tow on a B only licence

See posts 999 + 1000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC = link below in my signature

alex2

Visit site
The Land Rover Defender is the best tow car there is, it tows my IW 510 with a 17:3hh hunter, I don't know it is towing. However I reckon it is also the most uncormfortable car there is. They are noisy, cold in winter, shake you to bits driving however I've had a defender now for about 10 years and love it! The other bonus compared to a small lorry, you stand a better chance of getting in and out of muddy showgrounds.