deformed PUG - WRONG IMO

WeeLassie

Visit site
Does anyone else think this is WRONG on all accounts? An animal rescue in Ireland which is seemingly in debt to vets and feed suppliers, AHAR, has bought a pug puppy born with no paws, a problem with its liver and incomplete skull!! (sorry dont know how to do a link). They paid its breeder 400 for it.
I do not think this animal will have any quality of life. Pugs are notoriously difficult to anaesthetise and operate on. There was one on supervet with deformed legs which they operated on several times and eventually it died on the operating table.
Surely the best thing would be to PTS kindly rather than foster it out (to a vet, who should know better).
I am honestly quite disgusted. Reminds me of the victorian fascination for freak shows.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
From their FB page "of course the greedy dealer wanted 400eu for it he even laughed and said I ought to charge you double because stupid animal activists would be fighting to buy her. Well I am very proud to be a stupid animal activist".

Puppy is apparently full of worms, has sore eyes, has no paws, has hydrocephalus.

I am gobsmacked. What kind of charity DELIBERATELY creates a market for deformed, ill, poor puppies by buying them at stupid prices? Or indeed buying them at all? What kind of moron donates to a charity that deliberately creates a market for unscrupulous backyard dealers.

And how much are they going to spend on this poor puppy? How much more could they do with that money?

World has gone mad.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They spent 450 euro on an frenchie too, .... the sellers at the local markets must love having them around. I really worry that actually it means they are neglect the animals pre market because then it's more likely they can take AHARs money. Though actually they don't seem too fussy they buy very healthy looking dogs in the name of rescue.

ester

Visit site
They spent roughly 880euro on 4 dogs at the fair on 5th April.

They bought 12/13 dogs and two geese but no prices on the rest.

{97702}

Visit site
From what I've read about AHAR nothing would surprise me.

This entirely - they are scum who exploit the kind-hearted, who donate to them based on the lies that AHAR peddle via social media (cross smiley, don't know how to make one....)

That poor puppy should have been PTS at birth, the breeder and the vet involved should be prosecuted/struck off respectively..... grrr.....

**ahem.... gets off soapbox hurriedly....**

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Seriously, did the breeder let the poor thing live despite all of that? What a complete bloody disgrace. :( Poor little thing ought to have benn immediately euthanised. How sad. Will AHAR now fundraise to ‘fix’ it? :(

stormox

Visit site
They seem to have a new vet, I'm sure it was a bloke before not Anita.

They used to use a male equine vet- Danny Holmes, but seem to use Anita at Ark in Killarney for dogs. I cant believe ANY vet would think it sensible to try and operate on that pup, it should have been PTS at birth, any breeder should be prepared to cull badly malformed puppies.

WeeLassie

Visit site
Well I have to admit I was wrong saying this pug with no paws, and a host of other problems, should have been PTS. It seems the vet at the veterinary hospital has adopted her. So a happy ending for the moment although I doubt she will have a long life hopefully it will be a happy one.

be positive

Visit site
I disagree I still question the ethics whoever she is living with.

The vet may have taken her on because they can make the right decision more easily when the time comes, although I would still question the ethics of the vet for operating in the first place as well as everyone else involved, breeders should cull at birth to prevent suffering there are enough pups for everyone who wants one.

ester

Visit site
It is certainly a better outcome than her being left in the hands of AHAR but the breeder should have taken responsibility in the first instance.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i find it hard to understand why this poor little pug was not pts at birth , agree with levrier the vet and breeder should be struck off or disciplined somehow, its disgusting!!!!!

stormox

Visit site
The breeder should definitely have culled at birth. And AHAR definately should not have used public donations to pay this dodgy breeder 400 for it. But I suppose the vet, once presented with this poor creature and not being allowed to PTS by owners AHAR, had no option but to do the best they could by her, which would be keep her as happy and comfortable as possible until the time came to PTS.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I'm having a Facebook break at the moment, and I knew it was a bad idea to click Ester's links, yet, I stupidly clicked. Argh! A small part of me understands that people want to be compassionate, but the rest of me is wondering how few braincells these persons have?

I don't understand how they can be proud that they paid for that puppy, and thereby supported a person who will probably go home and try to produce more puppies/dogs in need of "rescuing". They should have called the police, and if it isn't against your laws to not take such a puppy to the veterinarian, either to euthanise it or try and fix the problems, then I think that your laws needs to change.

Personally I would have euthanised that poor puppy. It would have made me feel heartbroken, but I feel that it is a matter about quality of life, and I think that it is important that they can do doggy stuff = playing with other puppies/dogs, exploring the world, sniffing new smells etc.

Equi

Visit site
Frankly im glad that dog has died. AHAR is just the pits. Of course we can't say it was the breeders "fault" cause anyone who breeds knows one can just come out wrong...but the fact they SOLD it just shows what type of breeder they are.

We really need some sort of dog breeding register, its got so out of hand. You can't stop stupid people buying them, or breeding them, but it should be a hell of a lot harder!

Clodagh

Visit site
Frankly im glad that dog has died. AHAR is just the pits. Of course we can't say it was the breeders "fault" cause anyone who breeds knows one can just come out wrong...but the fact they SOLD it just shows what type of breeder they are.

We really need some sort of dog breeding register, its got so out of hand. You can't stop stupid people buying them, or breeding them, but it should be a hell of a lot harder!

The pug died? Thank goodness!

{97702}

Visit site
I think possibly Equi was reading the words on that photo that said something about 'sweet dreams'? I would take that as the poor little thing had died too, if I hadn't seen the pic before

It horrifies me that some of my FB friends actually follow the AHAR FB page.....some will be doing it to keep an eye on what the vile people are doing of course, but I fear that others have been suckered in :(

Equi

Visit site
Lévrier;13761924 said:
I think possibly Equi was reading the words on that photo that said something about 'sweet dreams'? I would take that as the poor little thing had died too, if I hadn't seen the pic before

It horrifies me that some of my FB friends actually follow the AHAR FB page.....some will be doing it to keep an eye on what the vile people are doing of course, but I fear that others have been suckered in :(

ooooh...whoops....

In that case...that poor poor bloody dog...