DEFRA Consultation on passports

sywell

Visit site
DEFRA have an open consultation and this can be found on their website as many people as possible should comment as DEFRA wish a very basic document and have no interest in British Breeding which provides income in the rural economy.

JillA

Visit site
Oh great, thanks, will go and take a look. The sooner they have one database and more reliance on microchips the better, if that is in the consultation.

Equi

Visit site
The file is unavailable so I can't read it to give a response.

I know we are still in talks with eu but what's the point in this right now? Surely the best action is to have a central passport agency which has all the data from all the agencies?

JillA

Visit site
On a quick look it is a consultation on how we do our own thing to replace the EU regulations,, whether we follow their lead or decide which regulation we want to translate into UK law

crabbymare

Visit site

I know we are still in talks with eu but what's the point in this right now? Surely the best action is to have a central passport agency which has all the data from all the agencies?
they have excerpts from the file at the top of each page the survey that relate to the questions they are asking :)

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Their major concern seems to be keeping animals treated with harmful veterinary medicines out of the human food chain. ...that and having a record of every horse owner.
I would be happier if the database was non governmental.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
By the way, you don't have to give your email to stop and go back to the form. I've just gone back on iPad and it was all still there.

Zuzan

Visit site
What I don't understand is the Consultation states it is an England consult. However the database is for the UK... are there parallel consults that the devolved administrations are holding? or are the terms England and UK being conflated?

Leo Walker

Visit site

This! I posted it on Facebook as I think its important all horse owners fill it in, but its not working for anyone. The survery either crashes of the links to the document wont work. I'm going to keep checking then repost it again

popsdosh

Visit site
Their major concern seems to be keeping animals treated with harmful veterinary medicines out of the human food chain. ...that and having a record of every horse owner.
I would be happier if the database was non governmental.

We tried that and it did not work! Im afraid unlike the cattle system where mega penalties apply if you dont comply the biggest issue with horse passports and databases is many cant be bothered . If an animal leaves this farm they have to be informed within 3 days and also the farm or abattoir receiving the animal has to do the same so at any time within 3 days they know where every bovine in the country is . Can you honestly see horse owners complying.

sywell

Visit site
Competition horses move all over the world and the commission decided to have a movement database to cover the whole of the EU would be too complicated. DEFRA decided in 2012 that you did not need a passport database for the million horses in the UK.

case895

Visit site
I have read the discussion document and talked about it to a neighbour in the police. She said they do not have the resources to enforce the current regulations, so neither of us could see the point in upping them. The local horse breeder/dealer openly flouts the current regulations and that won't change. So, as usual, the law abiding get additional hassle and cost and the non law abiding carry on regardless.