Degenerative Nerve Condition in Back

Shoei

Visit site
Hi Guys,
My beloved 10 year old great dane has been diagnosed with a degenerative nerve condition in her spine. It is effecting her back legs but is still quite strong and not showing any signs of pain. She just occasionally toe drags and puts her foot down on her toes. She will correct but not immediately.
I want to make her as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. She now has a multivitamins, she is already on an anti inflammatory for mild arthritis and I have ordered her some cod liver oil tablets.

Is there anything else you would recomend?

Thanks

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Having had several shepherds with DM, they are in no pain but as the name suggests it is degenerative and does not get better and some dogs do become upset when they become immobile or incontinent but it sounds like this is a good while off yet.

Personally speaking and having kept one on far too long, when they struggle to stand, move or toilet unaided, I make the call.

It sounds like she is in the early stages (we had a couple of years with our last one from the initial scraping/knuckling) and that's a great age for a dog of her breed/size.

Shoei

Visit site
Thank you. She doesn't seem at all bothered at the moment and has wandered around the garden all evening with me today. Hopefully it won't be a quick deterioration but at her age I have tried to prep myself as much as I can.

deb_l222

Visit site
I've nothing useful to add about the condition as I've no personal experience but I just wanted to say you must be doing something right to get a Dane to 10 years old so I would suggest just keep on doing what you're doing and you will know when the time is right to let her go.

I have two of mine on YuMove and really rate it but I've no idea if it's useful for this condition. It can't really do any harm and doesn't often react with other medications but check with your vet first.