Demand for livery in Exeter/East Devon?

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
Hi All!

I'm investigating the possibility of buying a property to set up a livery yard in the Exeter/East Devon area. As part of my mortgage application, the bank have asked for evidence that there is demand for livery in the area, so I thought I would ask everybody out there!

The yard would offer part livery, and possibly also assisted DIY. It would be fairly small, with no more than about a dozen stables, and would have all year turnout. The hacking is very good, and there is a school, and there would also be a grass dressage arena and show-jumping paddock in the summer. I'm also thinking of running clinics, for which resident liveries would get a discount if they wanted to take part, but would also be open to people from outside. I have also been told that a neighbouring farm is planning to put in a cross-country course in the very near future.

From the research I've done so far, it appears there is a lack of yards in the area that offer part livery but are not geared towards serious competitors, the sort of place where people can come after a day at work and just enjoy their horse without feeling that they have to be jumping 4'6" or performing passage!

Anyone interested??

Swift08

Visit site
Definitely think there would be a call for it! My grandparents live in sidmouth and we had been exploring the area for yards as it was possible we were going to move down there but most of the yards we had seen had no school or no decent hacking amongst other things. Speaking to some in the local tack shops many think there is a lack yards.
Good luck :)

Beausmate

Visit site
There is a demand for yards south of Exeter, don't see why there wouldn't be elsewhere around there. I phoned loads of yards before I found somewhere with any spaces. That yard is now full, having only been running for just over a year.

A dozen boxes and a sand school, year round turnout, nice atmosphere. Sorted.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
we have many yards in and around exeter, most to be honest dont advertise as there is always a come and go situation.

just out of intrest how many yards in the areas mentioned do you know of?

im not being picky but i can assure you with the other local members on here we can fill a couple of pages of a4 paper with yards you have never heard of.

as for the question do we need more..

well yes i think you could do well, but livery costs in relation to living imo are actually low here.

higher end livery that you mention of jumping heights etc then i honestly think we have very few yards like that.

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
Thanks for your replies so far and the positive vibes!

Thanks for the comments, jhoward, I know there are already loads of little yards in the area, but most of the ones I've seen don't have great facilities, or the owners don't have a clue, etc, etc (apologies if I've offended anyone, I'm not saying they're all like that!). I've lived here for over 10 years and have really struggled to find somewhere nice to keep my horse, probably been at a fair selection of the yards on offer so far, and have viewed many more, and have had some horrendous problems! Almost everybody I have spoken to has had similar problems, and I think I've had the same conversation with tack shop owners that you've had, Swift08, plus with farriers and vets too! Although there are good yards out there, they all seem to be full with a massive waiting list, and once people are in, they rarely leave.

Any more comments welcome!

gingerninja11

Visit site
The Holy Grail of yards - nice stables and turnout, not too many liveries but large enough to justify investment in and ongoing maintenance of facilities, competitions on site, a range of livery options, reasonably close to other facilities/ competition venues. Yes please. Could you come and do this on the outskirts of Plymouth?! :)

There will always be demand for a well run yard with good facilities.