Demodectic mange - tell me all

CazD

Visit site
As this is a public forum I dont want to put full details -but if anyone wants to pm, please feel free. Lady at work says her dog has demodectic mange. Is it possible to home treat - and if so, how??

Aru

Visit site
The dog will need vet input . Shouldn't be very expensive if that is what it actually wrong.

It can be a hereditary issue and common in some breeds like staffies but can also be caused by underlying issues that are suppressing the immune system.

millimoo

Visit site
My lab got a 50p sized bald patch on her nose at 18 months - skin scrapes diagnosed demodectic mange.
Bloods were done to check immune system, and I was given 'Aludex' to treat the patch - I was lucky, as if it had been bigger I would have had to treat with a full bath.
It cleared up, and has never returned - she's 5 now.
Stress can trigger attacks too.
But as others have said, definitely a vet job, as the dog is likely to require antibiotics to stop secondary skin infections which result from the lesions.

Umbongo

Visit site
Definitely a vet job. The dog will need skin scrapes to diagnose, weekly or fortnightly aludex baths(done at the vets as dog will need to dry before going home) then will need skin scrapes afterwards. Some dogs may also require antibiotics.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Yep, definitely a vet job.

My dog suffered on and off for most of his life, and Aludex was the only thing that cleared it up.

He was a rescue puppy, and the RSPCA cleared it up before we rehomed him. It flared up again when he was about 18 months old. Our vet told us he'd probably grow out of it once his immune system matured - he was about four when it stopped, but it came back when he turned eight (an OAP by his breed standard) and we never really got it completely under control up to his recent death. It will always come back when the immune system is underdeveloped as in a puppy, or compromised as in the older dog.

blacksabbeth

Visit site
Both my boys got mange but from my field due to it being a busy fox path way.Defo vet job,skin scraps were done,confirmed it was mange supplied with advocate and anti inflams and an injection of antibiotics just calm there skinn down because of the itchyness with in a week could notice a difference and no with there advocate being applied and baths its gone with no signs of it coming back.There mange was the sarcoptic and was told by vet its easier to treat than the type your on about.

twiglet84

Visit site
Sarcoptic mange and demodex are totally different. Xx sarcoptic mange is an infection in the skin, very contagious. Demodex are mites which are normally present in small numbers in the skin. Dogs with poor immune systems get an overload of these mites.
You can get juvenile demodex in puppies which usually resolves alone (if just a localised area), domodex is not contagious. Xx definately a vet job, I've seen dogs put to sleep with severe demodecosis as it was left too long before treatment. Xx

Zoejl

Visit site
Sarcoptic mange is not an infection, it is a mite that burrows into the skin. it is common in foxes, and it is common in dogs who live in the same area as mangy foxes. Some dogs never catch it, others seem to get it all the time.

twiglet84

Visit site
Sarcoptic mange is not an infection, it is a mite that burrows into the skin. it is common in foxes, and it is common in dogs who live in the same area as mangy foxes. Some dogs never catch it, others seem to get it all the time.

Sarcoptic mange is the name for the skin disease caused by infection with the Sarcoptes scabei mite!

twiglet84

Visit site
My bad for not making my previous post clearer. I can assure you i know sarcoptes is a mite. But sarcoptc mange is the skin infection caused by the mites.

Demodex and sarcoptes are NOT the same.

xx

MillyMoomie

Visit site
Twiglet84 is exactly right, demodex and sarcoptes are totally different.
Def a vet job. Will need skin scrapes to identify and then treatment. Once treated it isn't an issue. However I have seen dogs with untreated demodex that are so bad there is no saving them.
Very common in rescue dogs.

paulineh

Visit site
This is my dogs leg.
Jackslegx1.jpg

Due to his immune system being low (Long term steroids) he ended up with Demodectic Mange. He had the Aludex bath and it cleared up with in a month.

He is now off the oral steroids and has not suffered with the skin problem again,

CazD

Visit site
Please get your friend to take the dog to the vet, if it is demodex it's needs treated urgently. Here's a link of what the dog could end up like if left untreated (my wee rescue springer Halo - before I got her) http://www.scottishspca.org/news/654_dog-with-severe-skin-condition-abandoned

I'm trying to persuade her to go to a vet but she's googled stuff that says it can be treated with lemon juice or something like that. She must have seen the vet at some stage to know that it is demodectic mange but doesn't want to pay the cost of the treatment. some people just shouldn't have animals.