Demoralising issue with canter

shadowboy

Visit site
Pre 2008 I rode to a reasonable standard BE90 and BD novice. I had no 'issues' with my body and I was a reasonably balanced rider. In February 2008 my event mate bronked me off and I landed ballerina toe'd and suffered a lis franc fracture (3 metatarsals and all the ligaments went in my left foot) this has been pinned and stabilised and I have been walking since 2009 and riding since 2010/2011. Initially I had a NF who I backed and would show and compete at dressage but only unaffiliated as I couldn't quite snap the canter transitions up for BD novice. I thought this issue was related to him. I sold him last summer and bought an unbacked 3yo TBx Welsh D to event. I have really struggled with canter transitions. In the left rein I can get correct lead after a 'dirty' transition but on the right rein we are a mess. In 4 attempts I couldn't get correct lead and twice didn't get canter at all- just a horrible rushed trot. Worried it was because of his age (he's now 4 and a bit) I didn't push him but last week sent him off for schooling while I went on holiday. Wow he is amazing- his canter looked glorious and transitions were good. But when I got on he reverted back to the rubbishness we had before. I don't know what is going on with my left leg?!! It feels like I'm putting my leg in and back but apparently it just comes up and destabilises my seat. How the hell do I fix this before I ruin this horse?! Every single time I try it swings up but I can't feel it do that how do I fix something when I can't feel it happen :(?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Look for a physio who will do sessions on horseback, or on a mechanical horse. I have had a few sessions recently and they have made a lot of difference to my riding, post broken leg and broken foot. It has also helped with injuries left over form years ago. I am in Yorks and know of 2 within travelling distance.

shadowboy

Visit site
How did you find the physio? Did you google or word of mouth? My issue is I genuinely can't feel my leg doing it :(?

Pigeon

Visit site
How are you asking for canter? Like what do you do with your weight, legs and hands?

A common problem seems to be hanging on the inside rein. Try giving away your inside rein as you do the transition! Also asking from sitting trot is way easier! Make sure your trot is balanced and prepared before you ask. Try not to move too much - balance and half halt, then just sit there, outside leg back, ask. If he doesn't go, tickle behind the leg, rebalance and repeat. If you're anticipating a lurch into canter you may be tensing up or leaning forward etc. Really need a good instructor to help, but you could try videoing yourself to see if there is anything obvious?

shadowboy

Visit site
A video would be a good idea. I do put the outside leg back but it draws up according to my instructor which then destabilises me and I tip forwards. However, this doesn't happen with my right leg- it's almost like a subconscious protection mechanism or something with my left leg :(

MegaBeast

Visit site
Have you tried walk to canter as your seat may be more secure/stable when asking?

Have you the opportunity to get on an established horse which will probably be less likely to be confused by a less than clear aid and give you the feel again of a correct strike off?

Barnacle

Visit site
Can he canter off a voice command? If you can first teach him that, it'll be a lot easier and then you'll just need to think about the lead. He'll learn that pushing from the seat means time to canter and then your leg movement will tell him where to strike off from. I think it also helps to understand why you put that outside leg back as a lot of people don't... You do it to ask the outside hind leg to come in underneath the body and strike off first... That's where the canter starts. Then the two on the diagonal strike and then the inside front. Once you realise that, you realise you can focus on getting the hindquarters to yield in a walk with your left leg rather than worrying about the canter itself. That might help you train your leg without confusing your horse. I actually have the same kind of problem with my right leg - not for any particular reason, it's just less flexible than my left - so I have to work hard to achieve the same things working with my right leg that I find easy with my left.

dianchi

Visit site
If you don't want to go down the instructor route, try riding with your stirrups tied to girth (symmetry straps) if nothing else will make you aware of your leg movement
Good luck !

old hand

Visit site
I have had the same problem following my S1 nerve to my left leg being severed. Back exercises from the hospital restored the feeling to my leg and then Pilates to strengthen it. The real problem surfaced recently when I got measured up for some new boots, somehow the left leg is nearly one inch shorter to the knee, hence me twisting in the saddle and reaching for the stirrup, have shortened my left stirrup a hole until I feel level and problems with canter transitions have resolved. Before that the only way I could get them snappy was to raise the inside rein about nine inches, presumably that put me straight. It may be worth checking that something hasn't happened to your leg.

shadowboy

Visit site
That's really interesting- thanks for that old hand. I've contacted a few physio who deal with riders to see what they can offer to see how wonky my body is :)