Deosect and heel mites

lucymay9701

Visit site
I posted a recent post to get peoples views on frontline and within that someone said they thought Deosect would work for heel mites. I'm just starting a new thread on this to make it easier and wondered if anyone had experience that Deosect was effective on heel mites as it only advertises it as being for flies and lice. It would be easier to use this as no need for a prescription like there seems to be with frontline spray. At the moment I've just started using Dermoline insecticidal shampoo (which someone else recommended) to see if that helps but just getting prepared in case I need anything stronger. Thanks everyone! Lucyx

Guinness

Visit site
If you are really worried then get your vet out. They will do a skin scraping and tell you what type of mites and how to treat. My horse had mites once and the vet gave him an Ivermectin injection (Dectomax I think) and that seemed to do the trick.

charlotte162

Visit site
It workss,
my horse has ALOT of feather and went really lame a couple of years ago due to an infection casued by the mites
frown.gif

my vet advised me to use frontline and i have had no problems since
laugh.gif

x

Theresa_F

Visit site
Frontline and then use pig oil and sulphur - keep feather free from wee beasties and the hair in excellent condition and white.

PM me if you want the very long PM I do on keeping hairy horses legs in healthy condition.

ischa

Visit site
deosect i use on mites you can use it for mites etc too but would really scrub it in so u do get to the bottom you could also try insectical shampoo both are brilliant stuff

lucymay9701

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies, looks like it would be worth a try then if the Dermoline insecticidal shampoo doesn't work. My girl is full thoroughbred so hardly any feathers and not too much hair on legs which makes life a bit easier. She hates the vet so I always try everything I can first to not have to have a visit unless I'm really worried! Lucyx