Deosect users

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I started using Deosect a few years ago. None of my horses like having it applied but one today really reacted badly. He is fine to wash off etc so sponging the solution on shouldn’t have been a problem. He tried to pull back, lunged biting and cow kicked at me. Then proceeded to be a total arse to turn out.
Last year I remember little cob doing everything he could to avoid being caught in his stable when I tried to do him.
Im quite sensitive skinned and it feels no different to water on my hands and arms.
Anyone else had odd reactions?
It isn’t causing and skin problems, I was a bit worried he was going to have a full on allergic reaction!

fairyclare

Visit site
Yes, my chestnut mare had an awful reaction to it.
She came up in big swollen marks where the sponge had gone across her skin, it bubbled up and split which left open sores despite me bathing her to get it all off.
The pain from it gave her colic, it was absolutely horrific and I would never ever use it on another horse of mine again.

As soon as I put it on she started to play up, it must have been an instant burn.
I called the vet back and sent him the pictures, he said he'd never come across such a severe reaction before (I hadn't patched tested - totally didn't expect that reaction!)
It took a while for her skin to settle down.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
In spring I covered all five of ours with it and I can't say that any of them liked it, although I did patch test them all and they had no obvious reaction to it. I applied with a sponge (several of ours are not spray fans, a failing of mine I am sure!) and they all seemed fine afterwards, they just don't like the application which I can understand really. They all live out, are unworked and don't get much sponge action! I have used it before on two of the same horses before without issues as well.

I've been meaning to use it again as the flies are quite bad now.

meleeka

Visit site
In spring I covered all five of ours with it and I can't say that any of them liked it, although I did patch test them all and they had no obvious reaction to it. I applied with a sponge (several of ours are not spray fans, a failing of mine I am sure!) and they all seemed fine afterwards, they just don't like the application which I can understand really. They all live out, are unworked and don't get much sponge action! I have used it before on two of the same horses before without issues as well.

I've been meaning to use it again as the flies are quite bad now.
Same here. None of mine love having it applied but haven’t had extreme reactions, even though my mare has had reactions to other fly sprays

poiuytrewq

Visit site
fairyclare that sounds horrific, poor thing.
There’s nothing to see on mine but I may as well have been sponging acid into him. He’s not keen on spray so I figured rather than upset him spraying all the time and as he’s happy to be sponged off I’d use it.

Baroque

Visit site
Mine won't tolerate it. No physical signs of there being a problem but her reaction is very strong. Given she's a sweetie to sponge off I've put it down to the smell.

tatty_v

Visit site
I’ve never had a problem, but I dilute mine to the ratio on the bottle but in NAF citronella fly spray. It masks the horrid smell and makes application easier!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
This Saturday morning, flies the worst imaginable and Alice came in smothered in them despite a sheet, hat and liberal Naff fly spray on the rug overnight. We had just had 8 solid days of 30 degrees and Saturday was just as hot.

I have used deosect in the past without issue. Carefully measured 10ml to 500ml and sprayed it on her back and mane, top of bottom and tail head.

Reaction was instant, less than 60 seconds and she was trying to get down on the concrete, lashing out both hinds, smashing her fronts on ground. I dragged her into her box but as soon as I got her in I realised if I let go she would get cast. So I dragged her out again and across to tap where I hosed and hosed her. She was still kicking and dangerous to handle so I dragged her to paddock and tried to hold on whilst I called my vets. My husband was trying to whisper sweet nothings in Alice's ear at this point and had to be advised he was about to get his head kicked in !

Vet said it is common and I must return to hosing until she settles enough to safely wash in Malaseb, thankfully there was some on the yard. Even after her bath she was still irritable but no longer a danger to herself or me. She remained irritable through the rest of the weekend and has had multiple baths now.

Although I have used deosect very recently on the big cobs without incident, I will never use it again after Alice's reaction. If that had been Ted it would likely have ended up a tragedy because no one would have held on to him. Bottle of Deosect for sale if anyone wants it !!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
This Saturday morning, flies the worst imaginable and Alice came in smothered in them despite a sheet, hat and liberal Naff fly spray on the rug overnight. We had just had 8 solid days of 30 degrees and Saturday was just as hot.

I have used deosect in the past without issue. Carefully measured 10ml to 500ml and sprayed it on her back and mane, top of bottom and tail head.

Reaction was instant, less than 60 seconds and she was trying to get down on the concrete, lashing out both hinds, smashing her fronts on ground. I dragged her into her box but as soon as I got her in I realised if I let go she would get cast. So I dragged her out again and across to tap where I hosed and hosed her. She was still kicking and dangerous to handle so I dragged her to paddock and tried to hold on whilst I called my vets. My husband was trying to whisper sweet nothings in Alice's ear at this point and had to be advised he was about to get his head kicked in !

Vet said it is common and I must return to hosing until she settles enough to safely wash in Malaseb, thankfully there was some on the yard. Even after her bath she was still irritable but no longer a danger to herself or me. She remained irritable through the rest of the weekend and has had multiple baths now.

Although I have used deosect very recently on the big cobs without incident, I will never use it again after Alice's reaction. If that had been Ted it would likely have ended up a tragedy because no one would have held on to him. Bottle of Deosect for sale if anyone wants it !!
Wow! No I don’t think I’d use it again really. I did my ponies and they were ok actually so maybe on them but I certainly won’t use it on this horse.

Nasicus

Visit site
One of mine would get irritated after application at the recommended dilution rate, so I would water it down a touch more for her. She was pretty sensitive skinned anyway which probably didn't help. All the others have been fine with it, but AA's story is kind of terrifying!