Depression in horses?

bellaboo

Visit site
Do horses suffer with depression?

My girlie Lizzie lost her pair bond April last year, she seemed ok at first but then went very quiet, un interested in anything going on around her and was just 'lost' She had no interest in the other horses in her field and was often seen stood in the field on her own, head low not eating.
We had an animal communication done with her and she seemed a little better even started getting friendly with my other mare and we were starting to see the old Liz return.
The day before yesterday we had two new horses arrive on the yard, they are in the field next to Liz and my other mare, she was quite excited to start with and now has gone back to how she was, she's hardly touched her haylage today and had no interest in her feed, standing alone, head low it's heartbreaking to see.
Could the new horses arriving trigger something again? Do they suffer with depression and what can you do to overcome it?

Sorry for such a long post
frown.gif

Divasmum

Visit site
Some years ago I bred a foal from a dearly loved mare. When the offspring was 5 I had to have the mare put to sleep. Her daughter was heartbroken. When I mentioned this to the vet he said I was putting human emotions onto a horse. Poppycock, the duaghter was definately depressed/mourning. Time is a great healer. Keep Lizzie busy and vary her work. Eventually she will return to being her old self.

kendra2705

Visit site
I had a horse once that was diagnosed with depression. It was at the same time i had my breakdown, and I let him on a part loan for a while , whilst i was recovering , and he lost all his will , the vet came and said it was depression and gave me some powder to put in his feed, maybe he was coming out in sympathy for me , we did spend a lot of time together and he was my no 1 then i got ill and didnt see him so much and i think it hit him he didnt know what was happening.

bellaboo

Visit site
Thank you Divasmum and wafarerwitch

That is very interesting FrodoBeutlin, i just hope i can get my girlie feeling better again
frown.gif