Derby competition last Saturday

Fiona

Visit site
Have just downloaded a couple of pics of Ben at a derby competition last Saturday. The course was very good, 2 water jumps, a bank, lots of combinations, 2 ski jumps, and the last jump was a bit of fake "wire". Not one person touched this I was amazed to see, even though in some light it was difficult for me to see. Horses must have better eyes than us. BTW - it was set up to fall if touched.

We weren't placed unfortunately, clear in 1st round, but galloped a bit hard in JO and had one down (12 in JO so no chance of a rosette), but had a nice day anyway (though it ran very behind schedule).

Ben felt very lazy in the warm up and in the clear round jumping, but seemed to get a bit more fizzed up when he got into the ring, I think he saves his energy nowadays, and who could blame him at his age.

DVC00230.jpg

DVC00231.jpg

DVC00233.jpg

Fiona

Saf

community.webshots.com
Hi
He makes a good shape
smile.gif
Love the fake wire, how amazing they all jumped it just goes to show its us that puts the fear into the horses
wink.gif
note to self *must trust Saf more
tongue.gif
Well done to you and Ben
grin.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Would have been fairly stiff course for a youngster I imagine. If you look at the photo of the "wire" jump, the big white barrels in the background were the first jump, so very positive riading would have been needed I imagine.
Dear little Ben, if you keep your leg on to a reasonable degree he will jump anything. He may look like a scruffy little pony, but he doesn't act like one.

Fiona

H-J

www.piczo.com
I can vouch for horse having good eye site, Fitz jumped the the thin wire on the bounday of a XC course once, god knows how he saw it!!

sherwood'

Visit site
great photos- he looks greafun and makes a nice shape! just be thankful we werent in the 70- dont think it finished until about 7 that nite!

Fiona

Visit site
My sis in law did that at Pulborough last year, hammered thru the finish XC so fast she couldn't stop and horsie jumped rope. Told her off afterwards though, for riding like a maniac.
Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Well it was only starting at about 4.30, so can believe that. If Flora had been there would prob have been in that class. Did you see the huge red brick viaduct wall that the 1m class had to jump, there were some massive skid marks in the grass in front of it.

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
You will have to get your "jumping head" back on and get out some places.

Have you any more free time now both your babies are at school??

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Thank you V.
Was fun to do something a bit different, there is a break here between end of eventing season and start of hunting, but generally lots of hunt rides, derbies etc to go to which keeps us busy.

Fiona

Weezy

Visit site
I will be out and about very soon
laugh.gif

Yes its lovely not having them at home (maternal - me?!) however I have no transport as my Jeep has died and so I cant even ride as its 25 mins away - gutted
mad.gif
Still am moving to my old yard shortly and that is only a mile away so I can walk (not that I ever have!)

Fiona

Visit site
You need a little runaround - I only have a tiny nissan micra now that we have the lorry . It is tiny, but gets me from A to B.
Can imagine that after four or five years, it is nice to have a bit of "me" time where you don't have to entertain little people and plan round them (don't think I am very maternal either)

Fiona

Weezy

Visit site
Children are like chains LOL! Yeah I am seriously considering buying a car and a lorry instead - in all honesty I think I just need a new battery, but J came home with the wrong one yesterday (*coughidiotcough*) SO I am stuck again until tongiht - plus I told him to make sure that its fully charged - whats the betting it wont be!

sherwood'

Visit site
yea did u not see anyone go in that class? serious carnage! the only ones that jumepd it were hunters- msot of the seasoned eventers took one look at it and said no thanks!
Albert was funny he kept saying they were all useless and shud be out hunting!

K9Wendy

Visit site
Great pictures Fiona, we nearly went up to watch.. but at pony club the night before we were told it was going to be scary LOL, loads of Katie's pony club friends were going.

Wire fence is amazing, would take some courage!! Ben is fantastic..

Fiona

Visit site
Sorry L, when you said dead I thought you meant permanently ie searching for new car, not just a new battery. Hope J gets you sorted out tonight,

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Crawfords had a derby in July with a 1.10 class, didn't get one clear, JJ won it on 4 faults. Wish I had seen that class on Sat, but was a long enough day. Cn just imagine A though, he thinks all horses other than hunters are useless.

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Amazed that no-one touched the wire fence all day, I thought it was scary, and it was the last fence, they were used to galloping and jumping at that stage, some fences fixed and some knockable.
I'll tell him you were so nice about him.
Would lend him to Katie if she wants a schoolmaster, but her legs are prob longer than mine already.
Fiona

sherwood'

Visit site
yeah i have heard that Crawfords Derbys are tough- but i suppose they are easy compared to what crawfords r used to jumping!! Ill stick to small classes for now!

Fiona

Visit site
I have a video of the derby course at Crawfords. If you want to do it next year I can send it to you, let you know what to practise (no water though).
Fiona

K9Wendy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Amazed that no-one touched the wire fence all day, I thought it was scary, and it was the last fence, they were used to galloping and jumping at that stage, some fences fixed and some knockable.
I'll tell him you were so nice about him.
Would lend him to Katie if she wants a schoolmaster, but her legs are prob longer than mine already.
Fiona

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at the long legs, she is 13yrs 5ft 6 and legs up to her neck (doesn't take after her mother). Wish we knew of Ben a year ago. Thank you for offer of lend, I won't tell Katie as she'd jump at the chance of riding something uncomplicated and fun! Heading to another go-as-you-please on Saturday, less stressful than a competition (still enclined to freeze at times)..