Derby Horse Auctions

horsesfornow

Visit site
Has anybody ever been to the Derby Horse Auctions?

I was thinking about going but would like some info on this auction, what the horses & prices are like etc.

cjt1701

Visit site
Not been since just before christrmas. Depends really what you are looking for. When I went loads of coloured yearlings but nothing much rideable. Prices very poor many not reaching reserves (those that had them) and remainder going for peanuts as all belonged to one dealer who didn't want to keep them through the winter. Pityful really so havent been since. At times auctioneer struggled to get any bids. Sometimes good deals in tack auction.

royal

Visit site
I haven't been for a while, but did spend many a Saturday there (for the stalls) and tbh, I struggled to walk round the auction pens as so many horses were in such poor condition - in fact, I gave up and just used to go round the market stalls.
Of course, it may have changed now, but it was always the same and I spent about 4/5 yrs going for tack bargains.

PurplePickle

www.ipcmedia.com
Used to do every month, stopped when I took my OH, he wasnt horsey at the time. We walked through the pub, everyone stopped turned around (OH was in bike leathers) one bloke lifted his bum cheek and farted....

OH wouldnt go again ......

dwi

Visit site
You very rarely see a quality horse go through there. Mostly scraggy coloureds with funny conformation and shocking feet. Quite a few shetties and small natives as well. The odd nice horse does show up but they look so out of place that it always makes me wonder if there is something wrong with them that you can't see.

Good stalls for tack and general yard equipment.

Keltic

Visit site
Try Melton market, there does seem to be a bit better quality of horses go through. But saying that you can get some Gems from Derby, my friend got a pony that went on to win at Derby county show!! Its always pot luck though!

jaye1780

Visit site
MY friend and I bought a 6mth old welsh a filly years ago from derby sales as we felt sorry for her, 5 days later we had to have her pts - she had liver failure and was going centrally blind due to severe worm infestation :-( Have bought from Holmfirth in the past and had lovely horses but you really have to be careful, also alot of dealers horses are picked up from sales with 'problems'. Go in with your eyes wide open if you decide t go, assume all there for a reason (awful as it is).

HappyHooves

Visit site
Wherever you go, don't forget to keep your eyes open for the two filly shetlands ( one clipped out) that have been stolen. See the post/photos here- they belong to a disabled rider who is heartbroken.

metalmare

Visit site
I used to go sometimes, but it really is horrible. I remember on one visit spotting a pony with cushings and another with CPD / RAO - both really clear cases. Someone I knew bought a 12.2hh coloured from there. Completely terrified it was. Took months to trust. And was in foal.