Derby House fly rugs

flashmans

Visit site
I'm going to get one of these for my girl as the flies have gotten mad here in the last couple of weeks and fly spray doesn't seem to be working so well!

Could someone tell me how the sizing of Derby House's own fly rugs are?
Also, is it best to shell out an extra £10 (not a lot, I know) to get the UV one? Presuming this would be better for keeping cool...

blood_magik

Visit site
I've found their rugs to be on the small size. I measured my boy as 6' but the rug was really tight around his chest/shoulders so I always go for the next size up :)

natmetz

New User
Visit site
i bought the derby house basic fly rug for my 2 yaer old arab and think the fit is good a tad oversized but room for growing youngster. they are quite good quality im going to buy another to replace a wetherbeeta one that has a awfull fit for my m/w hunter

Erin

Visit site
Don't bother the belly flaps are ridiculously long and probably dangerous.

Amino fly rugs are very good and reasonably cheap

CaseysMum

Visit site
Ive just bought a derby hourse in 6'3 for my 15/2hh and its a bit big but I dont find the belly straps to be atall ''unsafe'' as it were? It fits snug, the only problem is the length - but at the same time I don't mind that being long as keeps flys away from more parts of him.

I admit if you want quality then Amigo Fly Rugs but this derby house is amazing.

flyrug.jpg

thats him in his fly rug by derby house

flashmans

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

Ive just bought a derby hourse in 6'3 for my 15/2hh and its a bit big but I dont find the belly straps to be atall ''unsafe'' as it were? It fits snug, the only problem is the length - but at the same time I don't mind that being long as keeps flys away from more parts of him.

I admit if you want quality then Amigo Fly Rugs but this derby house is amazing.

flyrug.jpg

thats him in his fly rug by derby house

Yes, I didn't think they belly straps would be 'unsafe' and they are adjustable I'm imagining?
Do you find that the rug keeps him a bit cooler?

Erin

Visit site
there are adjustable but even on my pony at 30kgs overweight they where too long on their shortest setting, with enough room for her to have got her leg in there = unsafe IMHO

Erin

Visit site
The bug rugs.
I have 2, they have done 3 summers and still going strong :) bought the DH one as it was on offer, but sent it back and shes back in the amigos :)

CaseysMum

Visit site
They are adjustable yes and he is DEFINATELY cooler with this rug than Amigo rug - he had an amigo rug and he sweated profusely in it, this rug I have never once caught him sweating and over this last week we have had the hottest weather Ive known for a long time where I am, on top of that I am by the river, his field is on the river so flies are at their highest and not a fly in sight!

I admit the straps are not for the finer boned because they are elastic and stretch but I have them on tightest fit and they fit perfectly and don't rub because they are elastic.

Each horse is different in my opinion and I guess some have had better time with some rug makes than others - but for £20 for a brand new rug + fly mask I can't really complain!

CaseysMum

Visit site
as per other post would never buy from again you be lucky to get your order this side of xmas:mad:

Thats not true! You must have been very unlucky - I have ordered 4 rugs from them now and opted for the 2-5 days postage (which is free)
And its arrived THE NEXT DAY, every single rug.

Honestly like I said I think its most definately dependant on the person, Ive never had any problems with their postage, or their sizes, and now I reccomend them too all my friends who have all since used them and spoke highly.

There will always be unsatisfied customers and mistakes made - part of running a business is it not?

learningcurve

Visit site
No good for broad chests I found, ordered a couple in 5'9 way too tight, sold them to someone else for narrower chested ponies and they were fine.
Ordered a couple of 6ft thinking they might be better, but still too tight, expect it will be easy to sell on as were only £15 each.

Did think the belly piece could come up too large for some.

Couldn't fault delivery.

Walrus

Visit site
Bizarrely, after reading other posts I really love my Derby house fly rug for my fell. I think it fits him well, I love the massive tail flap and the depth of it. I do tend to try and use a bossy bib under it when it's not too hot but I do that with all his rugs. He's just in it during the day atm but last year wore it 24 7 and it was fine. JUst bought another in the sale and can't fault delivery either.

Skyebald

Visit site
I bought one for my Sec D and it almost strangles her :( Agree with previous poster about how long the belly part is and was also concerned they might get a leg stuck in it....

Off to buy a new fly rug:rolleyes:

showingmadfilly

Visit site
I ordered over 12 of them, all seem great yes I waited and I still am but I just make sure I give room for delays but couldn't fault them. All horses are different and I respect that.

Purple18

Visit site
I have two there both very good :) came quickly too but i did have a cotton sheet years ago that took months to come and i stopped using them til last year

dollymix

Visit site
Can't remrmber which one it is but I also love my DH fly rug! Fits my broadchested ID super. I love the long tail flap and the neck is a good length and doesn't do that thing where they slide down and practically choke them! The one I have has a small 'hood' with elasticated ear holes! They never come off and I think it's a great rug! Still looks good after two summers continuous wear too.

In fact, when I get chance to visit the shop I am going to buy one for my welsh D

kaiserchief

Visit site
I bought my boy a Derby House fly rug when they were on sale for £25. It arrived the next day and I put it on him and was delighted...until I did up the belly straps. Even on the tightest setting the belly flap hung down past his knees and looked ridiculous (and obviously dangerous).

Luckily my mum is a dab hand at sewing so moved the whole belly flap up a foot (and a bit!) and it now fits beautifully :)

976686_10152852379065360_169180360_o.jpg