Derek Ricketts sacked as show jumping team manager

Puppy

Visit site
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/competitionnews/390/293820.html

Anyone want the job?
grin.gif

BBH

Visit site
I'd like to see them take the opportunity to freshen things up and get in someone younger. IMO younger people are less jaded and more receptive to new ideas etc. Also I do think that things are different now to someone who competed at top level years ago.

I think they should see if Markus Fuch's has a brother, failing that I think someone from abroad tbh, to come in and rattle up things,
There would be no hints ( hopefully) of cronyism and I can't think of anyone who is not a top competitor who would win the respect of the the old guard. You have some strong characters around so you need a strong leader, no shrinking wallflowers need apply.

Horse power is clearly an issue and we've had it and its been sold but we are also buying some top horses. As they say when times are hard the successful just fight harder so you need a real motivator.

The search is on.

cefyl

Visit site
Now there's a surprise
shocked.gif
wink.gif

And another "name" from ye olde days no doubt will step in. And we will continue the downhill slide into oblivion.

I agree they SHOULD wake up and swallow their pride and find someone like Marcus F. But will they? Methinks not.

The whole system in the UK needs a shake up. Not just at Team Manager level but form ground zero. From pony classes upwards. We are way behind the modern sport. In terms of training from childrens classes onwards. We are blessed with naturally talented and intelligent young riders like Ben Mayer, Scott Brash, and a few others. But they are the exception. The basics of competitive experience for youngsters has stuck largely to a couple of rounds being jumped on a pony then hauled round in a timed j/o for win and placings. Where is the nuturing of young talent within the BSJA?

And in the way shows are presented to both the public, and the whole "owners experience". No wonder we do not entice wealthy owners to keep horses in the UK. Take a leaf out of the continent. I am sick of hearing "all our good horses go abroad" as an excuse.

BBH

Visit site
LOL how about Jonathon Ross - I hear he's looking for a job
grin.gif

He'd also be able to buy a horse or two.

Does Graham Fletcher have the charisma ? I don't know him but the clips i've seen of him show him as a dour Yorkshire man.

How about James Fisher, even if he doesn't do a good job he'd be a bit of eye candy. ( Not sure how useful that'd be when trying to manage Robert Smith though)

JCWHITE

Visit site
I do hope the BS appoint someone independant as Team Manager, .And a non British person would be an idea.
I do feel sorry for Derek, I think he has done the best job, WITH WHAT HE HAD AVAILABLE.
As someone who now competes in the <Continental scene>, I cannot percieve where BS would even start, for many reasons. Dont get me started on that one!
I am sorry to say, the whole set up is wrong, and more backing needs to come from the Government(and when will that happen??????).
Will be very interested in the outcome and I would like to suggest Tim Stockdale (if he wasnt still competing!!)somewhere along the way, .maybe Coach.
JC

Visit site
I do not think they will be brave enough to appoint an independent person though that is undoubtedly what is need as anyone already connected to the BSJA already will almost certainly have vested interests somewhere.
The point about a strong character was a good one as was the suggestion in the article that coaching should be separate from managing the team. But to be honest I have no confidence that the right person will be chosen while Will Connell is still in charge of the BEF if he has an influence. I have still not got over the fact that he went to an Olympic Games without knowing the rules for a Nations Cup, no matter how much you want dress it up, and I do not believe he has a clue of what is involved in top class international showjumping these days.

Rambo

Visit site
I see Tim Stockdale I'd acting Chef D'Equipe for the Nations Cup in Abu Dhabi....a sign of things to come maybe
tongue.gif

BBH

Visit site
I certainly think if it has to be a British Showjumper the public would ' get' Tim. I loved his clips on the telly and on camera he comes across as confident, articulate, informative and very balanced etc.( I feel like i'm writing a cv here ) And more to the point he is imo an excellent ambassador for British Showjumping.

As I don't personally know him he may be a total skank in RL but he is well respected on here, doesn't appear in the tabloids for having a colourful private life, I've never heard of him selling a dodgy horse and has the experience and results for other riders to respect.

So if it has to be a British SJer I have no knowledge of his management skills but in terms of presentation to the wider audience, public, sponsors, attracting new owners etc he's a solid choice imo.

susan_w

Visit site
Here's another vote for Tim Stockdale. As LHS says, he's a great ambassador for British Showjumping, and he calls a spade a spade. That's what we need in BSJ - a no-nonsense, non political manager.

I don't doubt that Derek did the best job that he could, with the tools available to him, but now it's time for a shuffle.

Helbert

Visit site
The BSJA must have noticed that so many of our young show jumpers (like Ben Maher did) are going abroad to train with European greats to learn their trade. So in short agree with above - time to swallow the pride and look aboard, we clearly have a lot to learn!

Rambo

Visit site
A lot of top foreign riders spend time here too though...I think it's just part of getting the complete view on training methods from all around.

Don't forget, a great rider doesn't necessarily make a great coach...and vice-versa.

We have a very talented coach (and rider) in this country in the form of Rob Hoekstra...he coached one of the Scandinavian teams at the Sydney olympics I think and is highly regarded by his peers...but I suspect he has too much history with the authorities here now to even be considered.

John Roberts is another great coach and motivator who has done the Chef role in juniors before. We do have capable people of our own...we just need to be able to entice them to apply for the role and make it a role to be desired !

mikebizz

www.pro-stallions.com
you must remember that the guys at the top in this country are"greats " in their own right and could make any team easily, so the new manager has to have a presence and a history, to command respect and have the authority to take showjumping forward,henk nooren or albert voorn michel roberts, ian millar....... etc excuse spelling someone who up and coming riders would give their right arm to be trained byand to listen to!!

mac

Visit site
Im not suprised about D.R being sacked. He may have done his best but the results werent good. Used to work for T.S so obviously im biased but i think he is the man for the job. I doubt he would take the job at the moment but would definatly be an option in the future. The "greats" argue that present YR are not good enough but unless we find someone with enough backbone to give them a chance to improve the depth of the team the situation wont change. There are other variables such as good horses being sold abroad and injuries that the manager has no control over but the situation with YRs can be addressed. I think that with the BSJA using lars sederholm previously they arev unlikely to look abroad to fill the position. While their may be many people abroad i would much prefer to see a British team with british management.

The Voice

Visit site
some good names mentioned and I hope that they will split the roles with a manager, so they can manage and motivate and an asisstant/coach (perhaps they do read the forum).

Let's hope they get someone who has a bit of a personality (not Katie Price though
grin.gif