Despair - again

Fools Motto

Visit site
So, springer spaniel is now a week shy of 9 months old.

She has been brilliant over the last 2 months, having lots of fun and being very obedient. I've been taking her to work most days where she has plenty of 'outside' time. She is very good with horses, cows and seemingly takes no notice of sheep either - but is on lead in their field.
She has retrieved part of a pheasant (!!) perfectly too with no commands.

However, as she demonstrated about 10 mins ago, she still wee's on the floor! Obviously it isn't all the time - in fact it is rare nowadays, but both OH and I were with her, and she showed no signs of wanting to go out. She was chewing on her kong tennis ball, went over towards the water bowl and just crouched. We thought she was just sitting funny for a split second - as in about to scoot along the floor or something...
All my previous dogs have been clean and dry by 4 months - and I trusted them to be. Rosie, I don't trust her at all. I still expect accidents. I'm worried as she is going to go to a family member next weekend while we're away...
I keep thinking we've done something wrong along the way, as she really doesn't care. At mother-in-laws she prefers to wee on their patio rather than the grass - is this normal?

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
I wouldn't be in despair, tbh ... it sounds like you are going in the right way, and some dogs do take time to learn. look at it this way - maybe you got lucky with your other dogs and Rosie is a bit more normal! as long as the toileting behaviour in inappropriate places is decreasing, then your training strategy is working. is she crate trained? if she is, it may be useful to use a crate for her when she can't be actively supervised at your family member's house? tbh, i took on a rescue collie a couple of years back that had been really messed up and his toileting was awful, i cracked it just by being very regimented about feeding and toileting times, and keeping him in the same room as me so that I could be aware if he started to look at all restless. it was hard work for six months, and he was six months old when i got him, so he was a year before i really felt I could trust him. But he is fine now. It is totally normal for them to have a substrate preference - hard floor rather than grass for eg, and it may link back to how they were managed at the breeders. Rate of learning to be clean can also be linked to early experiences at the breeders, age the pup was got, and even time of year, the majority of dogs i see for toileting problems have been acquired in the warmer months where people are used to leaving their back door open and the pup learns to go in and out as needed - then when they close the door as the weather gets colder the pup hasn't learned how to ask for the door to be opened and starts toileting inside.

if the urination was frequent i would suggest a vet check for bladder problems/infection. but i think you just need to be regimented and diligent. you are just trying to create a habit so the more you help her to get it right the more she will get it right. it just sounds as if she is not totally clear at the moment. sorry if i have missed earlier posts where you have explained things more fully.

ETA - what are you cleaning up with?

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I have a cockapoo who is just over 9 months old, he does the occasional wee in the house, seemingly no reason for it, he was clean in the house for ages and then weed last week.

I'm not worried, he is still only young and hopefully will grow out of it, as I'm sure your dog will too.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
she's only 9 months, their bladder isn't fully developed until they are over a year old-I always expect the odd accident until 18 months (dont always get them but they are all different).

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I wouldnt worry about it at all unless it started to be a habit then I would suspect an UTI, my current foster dog is 2 years old been bred all her life and then had a few problems after her spaying. I just make sure she has lots of opportunities to go outside to relieve herself, she is house trained as far as Im concerned but she will never be one to go to the door and ask to go out.

As others have said if she is coming into season this could be the reason but dont make an issue out of it and just be more vigilent.

Brownmare

Visit site
I feel your pain! I thought we had the toilet training cracked with my little whippet then we moved house..... she was fine for a couple of weeks but has now decided that she can wee in the house overnight so the crate has come out again then yesterday she randomly just squatted in the kitchen in front of us!

She is only 5 months so surely too young to be coming into season? !

Bellasophia

Visit site
I feel your pain! I thought we had the toilet training cracked with my little whippet then we moved house..... she was fine for a couple of weeks but has now decided that she can wee in the house overnight so the crate has come out again then yesterday she randomly just squatted in the kitchen in front of us!

She is only 5 months so surely too young to be coming into season? !

Depends on the line and breed...my mini schnauzer had her first( and only) season at six months.
If you are in contact with the breeder I would ask when your dogs mother had her first season,and also how regular they were...the daughters often mirror their moms patterns.
Eg one of my st poodles cycled every nine months,the other every five...each one like their mothers.

Brownmare

Visit site
Oh cr*p! Now you have got me worried Bellasophia especially as I have just added a gorgeous collie dog to our pack - complete with nuts which will now be coming off asap.....

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We had a nightmare of a lab who *touch wood is totally dry now but he would have been a year before stopping having accidents. It was bit of a nightmare but something just clicked and he was fine.

Bellasophia

Visit site
brown mare LOL..

I also have an intact male st poodle in the house.He certainly let me know at five months that my schnauzer was on the change,by licking her head as often as he could ..when she had her first show at six months we separated them and endured three weeks of howling of one for the other( one was with my hub and the other with me in another part of the house).....however after the season we waited three months and then spayed my girl.Im glad my boy is still intact as he's a sensitivedog and has never given cause to be neutered.( no marking,humping ar dog aggression).
thank goodness it's all sorted now,it was a really stressful three weeks for both dogs and humans in the house!

Brown mare..you do know it can take a couple of months after neutering a male for him to be " safe" ie sterile.

Last edited:

Brownmare

Visit site
Bellasophia - yes I had been told it can be up to 3 months so that will be fun!! I don't have any worries about the collie having the snip as he humps any bitch he meets and is somewhat over confident - not to mention all the scent marking....

Eta he is booked in for Thursday!

Bellasophia

Visit site
Bellasophia - yes I had been told it can be up to 3 months so that will be fun!! I don't have any worries about the collie having the snip as he humps any bitch he meets and is somewhat over confident - not to mention all the scent marking....

Eta he is booked in for Thursday!

He sounds quite the charmer!
Hope all got well for the op..be sure to get a thick cotton vest to put on him ,pin at the back and you will avoid the e collar ..after a week the vet will remove stitches or if dissolvable,they will be gone..

MagicMelon

Visit site
Can you literally let her out every 30 mins religeously (obviously not overnight) to try and give her the idea of outside being toilet time? Do you use a command for it? We say "be a clever girl" to ours which helps. Is there any pattern to what times she might have an accident? Our dog who has been very good toilet-wise but she went through a recent phase of doing a poo overnight which was driving me nuts, we worked out it was because we'd let her out late at night as we were going to bed but noticed she wouldnt go off and do the toilet, she'd hang about the door instead and just come in without doing anything and we eventually worked out it was because her mind was on the biscuit she got at bed-time! As soon as we stopped giving her that biscuit (felt cruel...) then she would go to the toilet as usual again.