Desperate plea! Livery yard Liverpool/Knowsley/Merseyside/Widnes/Warrington area?

roobarb12

New User
Visit site
Hello

I am looking for a DIY livery yard as close to Liverpool (M62) as possible (Knowsley/Warrington/St Helens/Widnes). We're currently on a full livery yard on Gorsey Lane but intend to move to DIY as soon as possible. Does anyone know of any good yards around the area?

We've been on Willow Park but considering that it was advertised as adults only, it was overrun with young teenagers and a "snarly" young crowd. Not a pleasant environment. Also, walk to turnout wasn't great and the fishermen on site had no regard for the horses.

I've had a look at Wheatacre (great so far but something not quite right), Higher Farm (fab yard owner and facilities but I don't think stable suitable), Linden Stables (bit messy at the mo), and Yew Tree (great stables, menege not so great).

There used to be several advertised on Merseyhorse but the ones advertised at the mo are too far for me to travel.

Has anyone heard of J.G Williams behind Gellings? I have spoken to the owner and he said he might have stables available but when I asked if I could come and have a look, he didn't seem too keen.

I am literally spending hours trawling through old forum posts and adverts for yards so really grasping at straws. Hammonds don't have any up on their boards either.

Does anyone know if Springfield Stables out Garnett's road ways is still going? And if so, what are the facilities like? There's also Crows Nest Farm just past Bold, any ideas?

There's also Trevor Morris (Micklehead's) off St Helen's linkway. Any good or bad reviews about that yard?

I think Croft is a bit too far for me to travel but many recommendations have been passed for yards up themways.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Racergirl

Visit site
My friend is on a lovely yard on the Wirral if thats any good? can give you her details if you want, and she could find out for you...

roobarb12

New User
Visit site
@DD Thank you for the info. I'll consider it if nothing else is available a little closer to home and I'll make sure to pm you if so.
I think Runcorn might be just a bit too far for me. I'd have to cross the bridge and that's a nightmare at peak time (which unfortunately for me is when I'd usually be heading to the yard :(). I've seen some good recommendations floating about for yards just over the bridge aswell, always the way eh.

@RG Thanks, but again, the Wirral is a little bit too far for me. I don't know if you know Liverpool at all but I'm based by the Rocket, so almost on top of the M62. My boyfriend lives over the water and it's a long trek to visit to him, I think moving the ned there would be a little too far. Thanks for the response though.

MileAMinute

Visit site
Depends on what livery you're looking for, but my friend who lives in Huyton cannot find anything near her (has them DIY) and so keeps her horses on the Wirral :(

Racergirl

Visit site
@RG Thanks, but again, the Wirral is a little bit too far for me. I don't know if you know Liverpool at all but I'm based by the Rocket, so almost on top of the M62. My boyfriend lives over the water and it's a long trek to visit to him, I think moving the ned there would be a little too far. Thanks for the response though.

:D not one bit - Im from Dorset and only go up to stay with Ann for Aintree !!!!!!! The offer is there though - if you want me to, Im more than happy to ask her. Good luck finding somewhere :)

roobarb12

New User
Visit site
Depends on what livery you're looking for, but my friend who lives in Huyton cannot find anything near her (has them DIY) and so keeps her horses on the Wirral :(

I know :( , it's getting a bit tedious looking around now. I might have set my standards a bit high initially but visiting the yards in the area have made me realise that there's definitely a shortage of half decent yards around Merseyside. I'm not asking a lot; nice turnout, arena with good drainage and NO builders sand, a nice bunch of people. The horse needs to be happy and I'm seeing lots of yards that I know she wouldn't settle in to!

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
Would you travel a bit further up the m58 to bickerstaffe? There are some good yards in that area.

What about rainford, is that too far?

BeckyMason97

Visit site
Is melling to far for you?

Ashtons is nice on the canal and kids have to have an adult with them at all times, they have an indoor and outdoor too. I was going to move their but they didn't have enough stables at the time.

roobarb12

New User
Visit site
@GI I've not discounted Bickerstaffe ways, just familiar with zero yards there. I've heard of Roby's, can you recommend that or any others?

@BM Ahh, the famous Ashtons. I've seen it mentioned on various forums but can't find details about where it is to suss it on google maps to see if it is too far to travel. Things mentioned online are all positive about it.

roobarb12

New User
Visit site
Yes please! That would be fab :) it's worth me sussing it out at least to see if it's okay.

I take it you have horses themways if you tried to get a stable there once?

BeckyMason97

Visit site
I shall ask her in a moment.:)

Yes, I used to keep my two on Bullens (Nightmare, steer clear!) But we ended up moving back to the yard I bought my youngster from in between Warrington and Knutsford and moved house too. I now have four! Haha.

I shall get details asap.

roobarb12

New User
Visit site
I know a lot of people who've been on Bullens but swiftly moved on to pastures new. Parden the pun...

Sounds fab. I wish I could up & move but sadly not possible. Thanks for your help!

miss_wilson

Visit site
There are some fantastic yards on the wirral, and i know several people who live in Liverpool yet keep their horses on the wirral!

Janeuk1

Visit site
Hi, I am currently searching in those areas too! Do you have the contact details for Ravencroft? what facilities do they have? also, what facilities do they have at crows nest? :)

nokia

Visit site
the ravenscrofts yard is very expensive, they add vat to the bill, i stable on JW behind gellings, spring farm in tarbock, has a big school , again its expensive, delph farm where we are at is diy, its nice , people are great, and its cheep.

All ill say is dont believe all you here on here, im 36 iv been to a lot of these yards, iv been on jw now for 9 years, pm me if you want to come down and have a look at the yard

annaellie

Visit site
Loads of yards have closed in Liverpool which is a shame :( I used to stable on bullens must and it was fine no issues with it. I used to teach on gellings years ago a d stable there. Johns yard on the back always seamed a nice quiet yard with the added bonus of gellings indoor for hire. There are a few round tarbuck way and few yards round nerteron. I used to be on the same yard as the ravenscroft girls but have no idea what the yrd is like just know they have lots of experance behind them.

sophandfjord

New User
Visit site
No worries. I went to see Ravencroft and it is my favourite so far. Price is almost double everywhere else but facilities seemed fantastic and worth it.

Do you have the number for Ravencroft stables if possible? I cant find anything on the internet.. or if anyone else could let me know that would be great. Thank you, Sophie.

kroinster

New User
Visit site
Is melling to far for you?

Ashtons is nice on the canal and kids have to have an adult with them at all times, they have an indoor and outdoor too. I was going to move their but they didn't have enough stables at the time.

Hi there, do you know pricing and packages for here. I wouldn't be able to get there in the mornings so are there and packages where they could do turnouts and feeds? Also are feeds, shavings and hay included in livery price? Thanks