Despite the state of your fields..............

ecs

Visit site
I despair reading this post it is this sort of disregard for grazing that causes the farming fraternity to have such a poor opinion of horse keepers, your land will grow nothing but weeds when it recovers, personally i would prefer to conserve my grazing and have good quality grass for my horses to eat in the summer months, when it will be actually enjoyable for them to spend time in the fields, try leaving your gate open and letting your horse choose where it would rather be, standing up to its knees in a cold muddy field, or a nice warm dry stable.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Despite the fact that the state of my fields almost makes me want to weep, I am still turing mine out, their well being and happiness is more important, and the fields will recover with a little bit of tlc.

RachelB

Visit site
We have adequate acreage for our three horses (very lucky) and a stable each, so they are out as much as possible and only in when the weather is foul. They have to stay on their current field until April or we won't have enough summer grazing, but the field is obviously waterlogged, so they will be more likely to come in when it rains instead of us just rugging them up and leaving them to it out in the field. One horse is leaving for a few weeks when the snow clears up, so the remaining two will probably be let loose in the entire field to stop it poaching so badly.
The turnout situation is exactly why I love it there though - at my old yard, turnout is literally 8am to 11am. If you can't get to the yard to get your horse(s) in, you HAVE to pay the YO to get them in at 11am. No compromise. She is notoriously strict with her turnout though. And super scary when you get on her wrong side!
crazy.gif

At work, they are all inside as there isn't enough grazing for them all on a good day let alone at the moment. Most, if not all, of them go on the walker every day and as many as possible are exercised (it's full livery). We also have a small sand pen which is very useful. I can't imagine there will be much turnout when the fields re-appear though either, as they hold the water and will resemble lakes for weeks
frown.gif

teddyt

Visit site
IMO putting a horse out is not disregard for grazing but regard for the horse. Problems come when there are too many horses on too small a field. Keeping a horse in is to suit the owner, not the horse. Some horses dont mind being in for some of the time but horses like routine and standing at the gate to come in is usually because they want their feed and that is their routine, they are conditioned to coming in.
Obviously some people cant help what type of land they have but IMO the majority of horse owners dont carry out sufficient land management.
My horses go out, i have no weeds and sufficient grass all year round.

pottamus

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I despair reading this post it is this sort of disregard for grazing that causes the farming fraternity to have such a poor opinion of horse keepers, your land will grow nothing but weeds when it recovers, personally i would prefer to conserve my grazing and have good quality grass for my horses to eat in the summer months, when it will be actually enjoyable for them to spend time in the fields, try leaving your gate open and letting your horse choose where it would rather be, standing up to its knees in a cold muddy field, or a nice warm dry stable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say that this is not my experience at all...yes you do have to look after your fields and they will grow back as weeds if they are not harrowed and rolled appropriately, but my field has done nothing but go from strength to strength in the time I have had it despite being quite poached at times during the winter months.
My horse is out 24/7 on clay land and has a field stable he can go in whenever he wants with haynet and thick shavings bed...he has rarely been in there during the winter and prefers to stand by a tree of hedge for shelter.
I also think that some dairy famers do not understand horse owning problems and that they have very different needs to cows. If anything my native lad could do with a rougher field that has less care taken of it than I do! He certainly does not need a grass lawn of lush weed free pasture.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have tried that, they prefer to be out: I get worried about them being out so much, but it's where they want to be on the whole. Our fields are only just (and in some parts not even) above the water table, so they aren't great at any time of the year
frown.gif
The one they're in now will be rested from next month through to December-ish: it will have all the attention it needs.
smile.gif

TicTac

Visit site
So how stressed are your horses Maid_Marion? I think this winter has been quite exceptional and has caused quite a bit of damage to many types of pasture, however I have seen virtually bare paddocks trashed in winter recover very well with the right treatment.

I don't enjoy turning my horses out in very wet and muddy conditions but so far they haven't refused to go into their fields. They have no behavioural problems and they are not dairy cows who need oodles of lush spring grass to get fat on, and as others have said, my horses' state of mind is more important than a manicured paddock.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Yes, we have a few weeds in our fields, but so much good grazing that it hardly matters. The field is not overrun with them, and the horses enjoy eating thistles and nettles (and I think variety is good too
smile.gif

I don't think the horses care what the field looks like, it is most certainly not perfect, but has nothing poisonous that is left to live (will ragwort never give up?!
smile.gif
). The horses seem to thrive on their less than perfect grazing, that not only contains your bog standard grass, but lots of wildflowers and coarser grasses too, all of which are good I believe
smile.gif

Our horses have constant access to a field shelter, but are more likely to be found sheltering next to a hedge or near the bushes
smile.gif

Gorgeous George

Visit site
The horses at my yard are still going out, we have an old large sand school they use from Nov-March so the main fields don't get trashed. No grass but plenty of adlib hay, keeps them and us sane I think! They have only not gone out when the snow was a a foot deep!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
out all day, every day, despite the lake!

Have approx 4 acres which we split into 3 sections and do a section at a time through winter, the grass is cut for hay then let long so it doesn't get so poached and wet and they have bits to pick at, they graze it right down then move. On last bit now so will prob start giving hay in the day but we had loads of it last year so not a prob. Will be fine with a rest in time for another hay cut then horses will go back on it aug/sept. I also don't agree that T/O in winter wrecks the ground if you keep a sensible density of horses on it, we are on somerset levels.

have never weedkilled or fertilised.

SpruceRI

Visit site
My ponies more or less live out all year, though I do have one horse size and one mini pony stable between 2 cobs and a Shettie. So, much to their disgust, they're taking turns at bed-hopping at night, well the 2 cobs are. Neither can fit in the shettie's stable!

My paddocks are like swamps and the Shettie is now struggling to walk through it all : (

palomino698

Visit site
Mine are horrific, fetlock deep slime all over the field, nearly knee deep in the gateway, on heavy limestone clay which stays wet for months on end. I hate it here! The four neds go out as long as I can get through the gate, though, keeping them in means too much bedding. Can't imagine there'll be any grass in summer, I've never seen it this bad in the 15 years i've had them here.

Chumsmum

Visit site
My field is quite bad but not knee deep - my shetlands would disappear if it was!

I've tried the 'leaving the gate open' and my ponies prefer to be out, they slightly hesitate to go through the muddy gateway but are soon off. They have plenty of hay though the shetlands prefer to try and find some grass - other pony doesn't move from the hay pile
smirk.gif

They are usually out 24/7 but have kept one pony in during the night these last two weeks as he had colic in Dec that might have been bought on by the cold. He will soon be out 24/7 again as soon as it gets a bit milder, hopefully end of this week.

I was worrying about the state of the field but the farmer (owner) told me not to worry, they would soon recover.

If torrential rain etc is forecast I bring them in at night to try and cut down the damage and because I don't have a field shelter.

_daisy_

Visit site
all my 4 are still on 24/7 turnout and will be whatever the weather. they are happier out than in even in this weather. the only really bad areas of my field are the gateway and where their ring feeder is. the rest of their 6 acre field is pretty much ok.
[ QUOTE ]
I despair reading this post it is this sort of disregard for grazing that causes the farming fraternity to have such a poor opinion of horse keepers, your land will grow nothing but weeds when it recovers, personally i would prefer to conserve my grazing and have good quality grass for my horses to eat in the summer months, when it will be actually enjoyable for them to spend time in the fields

[/ QUOTE ]
its certainly not where i am. I was ony talking the farmers the other night about my field. One is coming round in the next day or 2 to discuss what we need to do when they come off their winter field so we can grow a decent crop of haylage for next winter. they have all been more than helpful and arent slightly bothered by the fact that I turn my horses out - its my land so why should they care? they have already said that they are happy to do the harrowing, rolling and seeding.

as for :
[ QUOTE ]
try leaving your gate open and letting your horse choose where it would rather be, standing up to its knees in a cold muddy field, or a nice warm dry stable.

[/ QUOTE ]
none of mine would prefer to be stood in a nice cosy warm stable as you put it. they love being out in their field, they would only stand near their stables if i was there and i was feeding them, the rest of the time theyd be in the field grazing. also mine arent standing in mud up to their knees, maybe fetlocks at a push.

I feel that what you have said is a bit of a generalisation. maybe thats what your horses prefer but all 4 of mine (and yes they are different breeds, 2 IDxTB's, 1 WB and 1 Welsh D) prefer to be out out out!

Arabelle

Visit site
My ponies are out 24/7 with a field shelter full of hay. One spends a lot of time in the shelter eating hay, but the shettie would much rather forage around the edges of the field, bless him.

I move my ponies off for a month every year to treat the field - harrow/roll/reseed/lime, whatever it needs at that time. It is incredible how it comes back.

I would say that it never comes back to thick, lush grass, but I wouldn't want it to. That sort of grazing is bad news for ponies. My vet always complements my slim ponies (even the shetland!) and says our grazing in perfect for keeping them trim - he sees a lot of porkers on his rounds. So no, I don't lie awake wondering what 'the farmers' think of my wee field!
A

Thistle

Visit site
Mine have been out every day so far, but today they will have to stay in until later, the melted snow has frozen solid and they are like ice rinks. They will go out later when it softens up a bit.

Spyda

Visit site
My almost two year old filly positively begs not to go out ATM. I put on her headcollar and open her stable door each morning and she looks positively mortified. It takes quite a bit of pursuation to get her to move and she dawdles down to the field, doing dolly-steps, and with a hard-done-by look in her eye. She's much happier when it's too icy to walk her up the road to the field and she can stay in snoozing on her straw bed or munching on her endless supply of haylage. I feel almost mean making her go out, but tell her its for her own good! I know it's the cold weather and muddy field, as she usually storms down to the field... roll on Summer. Please!

Kenzo

Visit site
Yes they go out no matter what, but we are lucky, our fields are all ok down at our livery yard, only muddy in the gateways and they are large fields so there still all green!
smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Oh yes horses are still going out. Our grazing is usually brilliant - but the snow has put paid to that unfortunately. However, a leg stretch for a few hours is really important - so out they go.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Donkey and cushings pony out 24/7 on bare paddock with ad lib hay and huge field shelter. Murph and other pony have been out 24/7 until recent weather, now in at night, to dry legs as much as anything as 40% of field is under water, and Murphy will insist on standing and grazing in that bit
frown.gif

Lill

Visit site
Yes
cool.gif

Blue is out on his own today as the other 2boys are in - 1 has mud fever and stresses if he's in on his own, so Blue has big bale of hay all to himself at the moment!
grin.gif

Fields are like swamps and we keep havin to move the hay around
frown.gif

ETA We have winter fields and summer fields, front fields get trashed in winter and they horses all go out in the back fields in the summer
smile.gif

kibob

Visit site
Yup, all out by day. Although I have shortened their day a little, bringing them in a couple of hours earlier.

My fields are hideous, it is hard to imagine they will ever recover,, but every year it amazes me that they do
smile.gif
We have rested fields ready to use come spring, and will do the necessary work to help the winter fields recover.

kibob

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have horses, you have weeds, it is the nature of the beast unfortunately, they are such messy grazers. You just need to ensure that the weeds are dealt with before going to seed and thus travelling to neighbouring fields (but this is essential land management as laid out by DEFRA). I think the farming fraternity are more concerned with the councils that leave the ragwort/knotweed ridden hedgerows/roadside go to seed.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7, but they do have access to a shelter. It's muddy as heck around the stable, but the fields do recover well in the Spring.

To be honest, if I had to supplement them all year round with hay/replacements to keep them out, I would.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
Ours are out from about 9am-noon, they then come over to be ridden or whatever,then on their hard standing which is kept clean and they have ad lib hay. They actually wander over when they see us coming for them. They are then brought in around 5pm to their stables. If I left mine in a muddy field, one of them certainly would have mud fever up to her bum.Mine has actually jumped out of the field to come over to her hard standing or stable.

The fields are in good condition and no poached gateways, so we are happy and so is the farmer. win win in my opinion.

I think they are all different and you have to cater for that.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Mine seems to actually enjoy being out. We have a few stables available on a first come first served basis, but she shows no sign of wanting to come in, even though this is her first winter out.

There's a kind of lobby round the gate, which goes up a widish avenue into the main field, which is all totally trashed, but the main field's wet, not muddy, and there's loads of grass.

Take tonight - I normally get there first, but I was delayed at work. She was by the gate on her own, and I fed her over the gate (can you believe I forgot my wellies!) and she was restless to get back to her fieldmates, and walked off almost as soon as she'd finished eating.

Sunday, I was calling to her from the gate and this was the response:

BILD0156.jpg

sandr

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I despair reading this post it is this sort of disregard for grazing that causes the farming fraternity to have such a poor opinion of horse keepers, your land will grow nothing but weeds when it recovers, personally i would prefer to conserve my grazing and have good quality grass for my horses to eat in the summer months, when it will be actually enjoyable for them to spend time in the fields

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? That's not what the farmer where i keep my horses thinks, in fact, if it wasn't for us horse keepers trashing the fields a few months of the year, he wouldn't be able to have or afford a farm at all.

Mine go out pretty much everyday.

siennamum

Visit site
I think land should be managed according to it's puspose. For horsesi t will take a battering in the winter & not hopefully ever grow lush green grass but instead have a mixture including good stemmy growth, lots of weeds, nettles etc. Worse thing you could do for a horse IMO is put it in a field managed by a farmer as he would for cattle, completely unsuitable.
We have approx 15 acres btw for 2 horses & 3 ponies, the only way - even with this acreage to stop the mud would be to completely rest the land. Then we would be unable to turn them out in the Spring as the grass would be far too lush.

Cow fields are being rested, cattle are in and standing knee deep in [****] in a big barn, come April they'll go out onto lush grass to fatten up - granted their fields look very pretty atm.

Can't see how there is any comparison between the way the farmer manages his stock and we manage ours.