Detachable Tow Bars

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Your views on detachable tow bars please? Changing vehicle and the prospective new vehicle already has one fitted. I'm looking at a Mercedes ML. I'm not keen to say the least! Any feedback would be welcomed. Many thanks.

Equi

Visit site
If it's never been taken off it should be ok but if it's been taken off and on all the time I wouldn't touch it.

BigRed

Visit site
When I had the tow bar fitted to my jeep, I looked at these. I was advised they need to be replaced

BigRed

Visit site
Whoops, hit the wrong button. As I was saying, I was advised they needed to be replaced every 5 years. It made me a bit wary, so I went for a permanent tow bar instead.

Azabache

Visit site
Detachable towbars are not recommended for towing livestock. The problem is they are usually left in, (as they are so awkward to take on and off) and then wear from the vibrations of the road. If you have one, you should take it off between usage.

Enfys

Visit site
Do you mean the tow hitch that slides in ?

We always take ours out, it sticks out too far and I curse people that leave them in, I am always cracking my legs on them in parking lots :/

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Your views on detachable tow bars please? Changing vehicle and the prospective new vehicle already has one fitted. I'm looking at a Mercedes ML. I'm not keen to say the least! Any feedback would be welcomed. Many thanks.

I have one on my CC it has never been a problem as long as it is fitted by a reputable company.

I would not have a fixed one on this car even though I leave it on mostly I would still have removable one.

Clannad48

Visit site
I have one on my Jeep, tow with it fine - in fact never been able to get the frickin thing off - even the garage couldn't shift it. Still not going to have it for long - Bl**dy Fiat/Jeep recall

gina2201

Visit site
I have one fitted from factory on my Range Rover, it is solid as a rock when fitted. If you do decide against one its still worth checking the solidity of a 'proper' one, only as strong as the metal they are attached to, any signs of cracks or rust etc, and if fitted aftermarket obvioiusly need to have been fitted properly.

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Thanks to all who have replied. I still can't get my head around the word 'detachable'. I am just worried sick that the trailer will somehow become detached. I have had a quote to have it removed and a permanent one fitted at a cost of £300 from a Whitter agent. I'm confused. Some of you hate them some of you are OK with it. Maybe it's me being paranoid. Could always search the market for a truck with a proper fitted one I suppose! What are you all towing with?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Thanks to all who have replied. I still can't get my head around the word 'detachable'. I am just worried sick that the trailer will somehow become detached. I have had a quote to have it removed and a permanent one fitted at a cost of £300 from a Whitter agent. I'm confused. Some of you hate them some of you are OK with it. Maybe it's me being paranoid. Could always search the market for a truck with a proper fitted one I suppose! What are you all towing with?
I been towing my caravan for years with it no probs

Clannad48

Visit site
You might want to consider that if they were that bad they would have been banned by now, yes I know there have been some horrific accidents, yet I have not personally heard of one that has been caused by a properly fitted detachable towbar. When the accidents initially were being reported I spent time investigating whether I should keep mine or have a non-detachable towbar fitted. To cut a very long story short I made an educated decision based on lots of evidence and several visits to the garage, to keep the detachable one on my car. When I change my car in the next couple of months I will talk to my local garage (who I trust implicitly to give me unbiased advice) and the towbar agent and make my decision then. I have not discounted another detachable towbar.

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
You might want to consider that if they were that bad they would have been banned by now, yes I know there have been some horrific accidents, yet I have not personally heard of one that has been caused by a properly fitted detachable towbar. When the accidents initially were being reported I spent time investigating whether I should keep mine or have a non-detachable towbar fitted. To cut a very long story short I made an educated decision based on lots of evidence and several visits to the garage, to keep the detachable one on my car. When I change my car in the next couple of months I will talk to my local garage (who I trust implicitly to give me unbiased advice) and the towbar agent and make my decision then. I have not discounted another detachable towbar.

Do you keep the tow bar fixed on the car all the time, or take it off for any periods of time that you are not likely to need it?

Clannad48

Visit site
TB, whilst it is a 'detachable' towbar I have never in 5 years been able to get the frickin thing off, neither have my garage. So whilst it is 'detachable' it has never been able to be detached whilst I have had it. BTW you don't detach the actual towbar it is just the towbar end that is detachable.

This is almost identical to the one I have

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/cherokee-jeep-2008-detachable-tow-bar-2.html

Last edited:

catroo

Visit site
Towed thousands of miles with a detachable tow bar with no issues, but they are only as good as the person using it. You have to make sure they are locked on/bolted on right in the same way you make sure the trailer is hitched right.

Ours used to be only put on for towing and removed the rest of the time

Procrastination

Visit site
I've just had one fitted to our VW, before going ahead with it I asked the dealer if he felt there were any safety concerns with using a detachable one and he said absolutely none whatsoever. I take it off when it's not being used as it messes up parking sensors, when it is fitted it feels absolutely solid and I have no worries about using it to tow a trailer.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have one on my range rover while I hated the idea I have to say it's caused no problems .
They check them on a service at our garage so make sure it's on when you send the car in .
However I see no point in the what so ever I won't have another fitted .

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
We had one fitted to our Mercedes ML500 a couple of months ago. We only fit it when we are towing our horses and remove it straight after. It was shipped over from Mercedes Germany and was fitted by a very reputable garage. We certainly have no concerns whatsoever about using it and my husband is much happier with his car being able to remove it when it's not needed.