Devastated

Kylara

Visit site
Woke up this morning to find my gorgeous boy had died in his sleep overnight.
He was the first pony I ever bought and reached the grand old age of 27. He's been retired for the last decade and I don't know what I'm going to do without him. I never thought the day would come, I hoped he'd just keep going forever.
He got out of his section of field into the long grass last night as well so he obviously had a wonderful last night.
I saw him yesterday and he was his usual cheeky self so it's come as a massive shock. He came through winter so well and he was doing brilliantly.

Vet is coming later this morning but thinks probably heart failure. Having to get someone else to deal with vets and the person to take him to be cremated. I'm a mess and can't stop crying. He's been with me for as long as I can remember and I can't imagine a world without him.

The field is going to look so empty. I've offered it to a neighbour for two of her pony mares so there will be a pony in there. There's lots of good grass as the field is managed well and he was only half way through his first summer field.

I don't want the fields to be empty but I'm not sure what to do. I can't bring myself to go down and see him, I want to keep my memory of him being alive and cheeky and my wonderful boy with such a big personality.

Hannahgb

Visit site
I am so sorry. It must have been so heartbreaking, take comfort knowing he had a wonderful long life with you and went pain free and full of grass.

Huge hugs xx

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Big hugs. Go say your goodbyes to him, give him a kiss and a cuddle and then let someone deal with the vets etc. So sorry to hear this xxxxxxxx

southerncomfort

Visit site
Oh I am sorry. Although we all want them go peacefully in their sleep it is still a dreadful shock when they leave us.

Thinking of you. xx

Spottyappy

Visit site
So sorry to read this, but he had a wonderful life with you. We had this happen with one of ours years ago, it's an awful shock,but I believe she went quickly and did not suffer. Am sure your boy did too.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'm sorry but what a lovely way for him to go without any trauma for either of you. You honestly couldn't have asked for a better way and I know many would wish their own losses had been so pleasant for their horses; you will realize this when you've got over the shock.
Cherish your memories of him as you knew him, full of life, don't go down there, he's only a shell now and it won't help anyone dealing with him if you can't cope.

Asha

Visit site
So sorry for your loss, and what a terrible shock for you . Sounds as though he had a great life, and a great last night in a field full of grass x

Merrymoles

Visit site
Awful shock for you but lovely way to go for him and I hope that will be a comfort to you in time. The fact that he's going to leave a massive hole in your life is a tribute to your relationship. Sending a big hug.

Annagain

Visit site
So sorry. It's a terrible shock now (I lost my old boy very unexpectedly a long time ago now. He was helped on his way but had I not found him the vet said he'd have been gone in an hour) but believe me, when the shock subsides it will be a comfort knowing he went quickly (in a lovely field full of grass by the sound of things), didn't suffer and you didn't have to make an agonising decision. It was the best way for possible him. Hugs

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
What an awfu shock for you. Whether you go down is entirely your choice, but he isn't there any more, just a shell. He will live on in your memory and he died where he was happy, where he had lived a lovely life with a person who loved him.. What more could any horse want.
Be kind to yourself.

Deltic Blue

Visit site
So sorry for your loss.
Sounds like he had the best end anyone could wish for, a belly full of grass and no pain.
I'm sure you have lots of lovely memories of him, 27 is a brilliant age to get to.

PeeGee

Visit site
So sorry to hear this you must be devastated it would be such a shock, at least he went having a good time on the illicit grass and without suffering.

Sheep

Visit site
I'm sorry but what a lovely way for him to go without any trauma for either of you. You honestly couldn't have asked for a better way and I know many would wish their own losses had been so pleasant for their horses; you will realize this when you've got over the shock.
Cherish your memories of him as you knew him, full of life, don't go down there, he's only a shell now and it won't help anyone dealing with him if you can't cope.

This ^
I am so sorry for your loss, and I am sure it was and continues to be a terrible shock. It is a privilege for him to have died at home, in his own time, in the place he knew. Take care of yourself. x

eggs

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. I have some understanding of how you must be feeling as some years ago I found my three year old dead in her field. I completely agree with what Maesfen said - what a great way for an old boy to go - quickly and whilst still enjoying life.

Micropony

Visit site
So sorry for your loss,what a terrible shock. Once you have come to terms with the fact that he's gone I'm sure you will take a great deal of comfort from the fact that he had what sounds to have been a peaceful end after a happy life with you.

In the meantime, be kind to yourself. Big hugs x

Illusion100

Visit site
Oh goodness, what a sad shock. :(

What a way to go though, in a field of lovely grass, knowing that he was loved and without a care in the world.

There was nothing you could have done and just deal with things in the way that works best for you, there is no right or wrong way to handle this. He was a lucky, cherished boy and that's all you need to remember. :)

Kylara

Visit site
Vet has just been and said looks like a heart attack that probably threw a clot causing a brain aneurysm so he would have been gone before he knew anything about it. I think that's the best way for him to have gone. Vet brought along a just qualified vet as well from the RVC, so probably not the best first week for her. He just looked so well yesterday and full of life.

I'm so pleased that he escaped into the long grass (a fairly regular occurence) and had a nice few hours eating to his heart's content before he went.

I decided not to go down and see him so my last memory can be of him being his usual cheeky self. He's been taken to be cremated and I've kept some of his mane and tail (and a bit of his gorgeous fluffy forelock).

Thank you for all your kind thoughts, they are very much appreciated. I just can't believe he's gone and won't be there to come up to me in the field for a scratch.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Sorry for your loss.
He was a great age and you were lucky enough to have known him for a long time.
Plus as you said he had a great last night in the long grass.
You will find it difficult as first but I'm sure you will enjoy seeing other horses happy and enjoying your field.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Woke up this morning to find my gorgeous boy had died in his sleep overnight.
He was the first pony I ever bought and reached the grand old age of 27. He's been retired for the last decade and I don't know what I'm going to do without him. I never thought the day would come, I hoped he'd just keep going forever.
He got out of his section of field into the long grass last night as well so he obviously had a wonderful last night.
I saw him yesterday and he was his usual cheeky self so it's come as a massive shock. He came through winter so well and he was doing brilliantly.

Vet is coming later this morning but thinks probably heart failure. Having to get someone else to deal with vets and the person to take him to be cremated. I'm a mess and can't stop crying. He's been with me for as long as I can remember and I can't imagine a world without him.

The field is going to look so empty. I've offered it to a neighbour for two of her pony mares so there will be a pony in there. There's lots of good grass as the field is managed well and he was only half way through his first summer field.

I don't want the fields to be empty but I'm not sure what to do. I can't bring myself to go down and see him, I want to keep my memory of him being alive and cheeky and my wonderful boy with such a big personality.

How utterly heart breaking for you, but in one sense it was better than making the decision yourself. He made it for you and wanted to move on
, I hopped mine would go that way.

That said it is your heart that is aching now, missing him and not saying goodbye to him, as others said go and say goodbye to him and take a bit of mane/tail. In time when it does not hurt so much why not foster for charity so the field wont be empty