Devils claw & laminitic prone pony

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I've also posted this in the Tack Room, but thought I'd post here in case anyone misses it.

It's been recommended by my horse's chiropractor/physiotherapist that I put him on a devils claw supplement.

I will ask them tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask on here too - is devils claw safe to give a laminitic prone? I know some of the joint supplements contain glucosamine, so I would need to be careful, but I wondered if there were any similar concerns with devils claw?

Also, can anyone recommend a good devils claw supplement?

lizziebell

Visit site
Devils claw acts as an antiflammatory and pain relief. I use it for a lami prone pony as a substitute for bute, and it works really well.

I find the best is as a tincture - either bought as a liquid, or made up from the herb itself.

Princess Rosie

Visit site
We have a mini who is on devils claw, he's been on it for a long time (helps with a locking stifle) and never had any issues whatsoever, I haven't heard that it can be a problem for laminitic prone ponies.

skint1

Visit site
I give Naf's Devil's Relief to my mare, she can be prone to laminitis, has side bone and arthritis too. I've tried quite a few different joint supplements and even went on bute for a while but I worried about that in the long term so I returned to the Devil's Relief.

Micky

Visit site
Not good long term for the organs apparently...Management (v strict) is key for laminitis but have you had you pony tested for PPID? ( formerly known as Cushings)...There will be an underlying reason why laminitis keeps occurring..It is a simple blood test...