Dew claws and eye bogeys (and a little update)!

Kat_Bath

Visit site
I have two questions...

1. One of Harvey's dew claws is like a badly broken nail and stuff (grass, his own hair, mud) gets caught in it. Obviously, I don't want to pull it off but I'm wondering if I need to trim it somehow or whether it'll fall off itself?

2. He gets some amazing eye bogeys and I think the skin in the corners of his eyes is getting a bit pink. Around his eyes in general seems quite dry but his hair is in good condition and it doesn't seem to be causing him any bother. I'm guessing I just monitor them?

While I'm posting, I might as well add a little update. He is looking and doing great on Millies - it's time to order some more and I think I'll stick with it. He does some amazing burps after dinner though (despite not eating especially quickly) but his poos are so much smaller (yay!). He seems to drink a lot straight after but I think that's OK considering it's a dry food.

His lead walking is coming on leaps and bounds and he is almost a 9/10 on a walk when we meet other dogs. He is a 10/10 when they are the other side of the road which is a huge improvement.

He is allowed on the sofa but I'm OK with that because it saves getting a hot water bottle and I can kiss his lovely head without moving from under my blanket!

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I have two questions...

1. One of Harvey's dew claws is like a badly broken nail and stuff (grass, his own hair, mud) gets caught in it. Obviously, I don't want to pull it off but I'm wondering if I need to trim it somehow or whether it'll fall off itself?

2. He gets some amazing eye bogeys and I think the skin in the corners of his eyes is getting a bit pink. Around his eyes in general seems quite dry but his hair is in good condition and it doesn't seem to be causing him any bother. I'm guessing I just monitor them?

While I'm posting, I might as well add a little update. He is looking and doing great on Millies - it's time to order some more and I think I'll stick with it. He does some amazing burps after dinner though (despite not eating especially quickly) but his poos are so much smaller (yay!). He seems to drink a lot straight after but I think that's OK considering it's a dry food.

His lead walking is coming on leaps and bounds and he is almost a 9/10 on a walk when we meet other dogs. He is a 10/10 when they are the other side of the road which is a huge improvement.

He is allowed on the sofa but I'm OK with that because it saves getting a hot water bottle and I can kiss his lovely head without moving from under my blanket![/QUOTE

Clip the dew claw as you would the nail. Excessive discharge & red conjunctiva would indicate an infection.

Clodagh

Visit site
I use cold tea bags to wipe eyes, just when you make the tea keep them on a clean saucer until they are cold. If it is green I would go to the vets, if it is just accumulated dirt I would wait.
If it is just the outer shell of the dew claw you should be able to trum it off with nail scissors? Don't pull it - youcher!! If it is more maybe vets again. :)

Oh and really well done with the lead walking and glad MWH is working.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
If you can see the quick, then that’s going to be very painful. It will eventually withdraw but might be quicker to trim it back or take to vet if it’s serious looking. They may sedate, Bear’s had it done twice.

If his eye is infected, you’ll regret not having it looked at. The vet will give you chlorophenicol, which is the same as the one you get for human infections over the counter, but I know that’s frowned upon.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Thanks all :)

I think I maybe over-described his eyes - they're normal but where his eye bogeys form, they seem a little bit naked! I did wonder whether bathing them would do any good. I'll keep an eye on them - if they change, he can have a little trip to the vets.

I've just looked at his dew claw that was broken and it may have sorted itself - the broken bits (both outside and inside) must have come off and it's just a bit pointy. I did notice he was having a bit of a lick and chew earlier. I think it could do with a trim though so I'll look in to that. I think this is a truly stupid question but can you still see the quick in black nails?

Thanks again for you of your helpful advice :)

Clodagh

Visit site
If he a chocolate lab they tend to have pink skinned eyes.
No you can't see the quick, it is always a surprise if you find it!

skinnydipper

Visit site
. I think this is a truly stupid question but can you still see the quick in black nails?

Just trim a little bit at a time. Keep checking until you see a white circle with black in the middle. Don't cut anymore, that's the pulp and if you continue you will hit the quick. I think we've probably all done it :(

Last edited: