Diabetic dog….

ExRacers

Visit site
Just been advised by vet that our 10 year old cocker spaniel x is diabetic. He’s at the vets as not eating and they are trying to get him stabilised. Also shocked to hear he may lose his sight too. Has anyone been in this situation and if so how did it turn out? Any help gratefully received.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
A client had a poodle with diabetes. He was already in decline sadly and nearly blind on diagnosis. However he did stabilise pretty well once diagnosed and lived for just under a year.

Had he been diagnosed earlier I think he would have lasted longer (and happier).

ExRacers

Visit site
A client had a poodle with diabetes. He was already in decline sadly and nearly blind on diagnosis. However he did stabilise pretty well once diagnosed and lived for just under a year.

Had he been diagnosed earlier I think he would have lasted longer (and happier).
Thank you for replying. Hopefully we can get ours stabilised too.

millikins

Visit site
Many years ago (about 40) I had a job in a boarding kennels; we had a diabetic labrador who stayed on a fairly regular basis. She was great, owner sent her in with a frying pan, you'd take her out in the morning, hold the frying pan underneath and she'd do a pee then we'd dip the urine and jab her with insulin in her scruff. I don't know if she made old bones but she was a very happy active dog. I hope you get your boy stable and home soon.

Umbongo

Visit site
Diabetes in dogs/cats is quite common, once stabilised and treated effectively...they can live a relatively normal life.
It is quite an expensive disease to treat, especially at the beginning. Or any time he may have hypoglycaemic or hyperglycaemic episodes and require re-stabilisation. He may require the odd day stay at the vets in order to perform a blood glucose curve (small blood samples taken every couple of hours). Then there is the cost of the insulin, needles, sharps disposal etc. Some practices offer diabetes clinics with the nurse, and this can be a cheaper option. Although he will still need to see the vet every so often. For example my last practice would see a new diabetic dog once a week for 2-4 weeks, then if all ok would be monthly, then 2 monthly, then 3 monthly etc. Any changes in insulin dose would then go back to once a week for 2-4 weeks and so on.

He will most likely go blind due to cataracts, however it is normally gradual and most dogs cope fine. Just try to keep most things in the house in their normal positions so the area is familiar to him. My dog went blind (not due to diabetes) and I used my voice a lot more and also a clicker. Not all dogs do cope blind, but that is something you can judge. Cataracts removal is also an option although not as simple as with humans.

He may require a stricter daily routine and diet. Dramatic changes in exercise and offering too many treats etc can affect the blood glucose levels. Most dogs will have 2 meals a day with no/minimal treats and the same amount of exercise everyday. It is a good idea to keep a diary for diabetic dogs, noting his appetite, when he had his injections, his demeanour, measuring his daily water intake etc. It's really good for the vet/nurse to see this every so often when your dog goes in for his check ups.

He will require insulin injections once/twice daily depending on the type of insulin your dog requires, and these need to be given at nearly the same time (give or take 1-2 hours) everyday so long as he is eating. Your vet will show you how to do these. Any changes need to be closely monitored and the vet contacted ASAP if he seems unwell. The major emergencies are hypoglycaemia (have a jar of honey available), diabetic ketoacidosis and acute pancreatitis.

I have seen some animals put to sleep due to the cost and management involved. If you are considering this option then please do not feel judged, it is easy for some dogs/owners and not others. And not all animals tolerate daily injections or regular vet visits. If you know you will be leaving home early/coming home late etc and do not have any family members to help, then plenty of pet sitters or vet nurses can come to your house to medicate. Find a kennels or family member that is happy to medicate a diabetic dog for if you need to go away.

I hope your dog is ok! I have seen many dogs do well with diabetes so long as managed properly.

https://www.caninsulin.com/dogs/about-dogs/diabetes-in-dogs/

ETA: I am assuming your dog has been diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, as diabetes insipidus is less common and is managed differently.

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
my last practice would see a new diabetic dog once a week for 2-4 weeks, then if all ok would be monthly, then 2 monthly, then 3 monthly etc.

Yes, this is what happened with the dog I mentioned above. They also had a diabetes clinic, and the nurses where fabulous.

ExRacers

Visit site
Thank you all those who have replied especially umbongo - lots of really good info and advice there. He’s hanging in there just now but not eating at all so having to go into the vets during the day to be fed through a line. Hoping he can turn a corner soon.

ExRacers

Visit site
Update - sadly we had to have him put down today. After 5 days and 3k of treatment he still wasn’t stabilised, not eating and vomiting too. There were also pancreatic issues as well. Heartbroken. RIP Mac.