Diatomaceous earth - Worming without chemicals

flyingfeet

Visit site
I just wondered if anyone had any experience of using Diatomaceous earth (DE) for worming horses?

This seems to be pretty popular in america, but must less heard of here

The premise is that the fossilized diatoms have sharp microscopic molecules that damage only the internal parasites and its a mechanical rather than chemical form of worming

I'd be interested to hear any views?

s4sugar

Visit site
Sounds like a good way to cause impaction colic!

Diatomaceous earth is good to reduce some ectoparasites but never heard of it being used internally.

amandap

Visit site
I know someone who uses it but she has recently had to use chemicals. I am not convinced it is a safe single strategy especially for some stages or redworm and tape for eg. I don't know about any studies though.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Well I think you'd need something coarser to cause impaction colic like sand - this is more like clay

However I'm not sure what impact feeding has on the gut flora and whether this is a good thing or not!

The theory is in the wild horse seek out clays to naturally worm themselves, but life expectancy is much lower anyway!!

amandap

Visit site
Good point about resident hindgut bacteria. I don't know if it is still active in the hindgut or not.