Did Gallop take over Axiom rugs?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I used to love Axiom rugs and always wondered why they stopped selling them over here. I can find a site in the USA and one in Australia which seems to list them, so they must still be being made (unless they just have old stock). I read some posts on here some time ago which suggested Gallop may have taken them over in the UK. I've never bought a Gallop rug but does anybody know if the fit is similar?

I don't really rug anymore but a friend is looking for some new rugs and Axioms would fit her horse very well I think.

holeymoley

Visit site
No I believe axiom are originally austrailian. I think there was only one seller bringing them over here and selling them via eBay. I remember I bought one of their fly sheets, it didn’t have any surcingles but stayed in place and worked fab. Loved the turnouts too.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I love Axiom. I bought a few. They all seemed generous on fat git cob, especially loved the massive tail flaps that kept his rear clean. I still have a couple.

How about Harlequin rugs? They were also amazing. Haven’t seen any for years.

TPO

Visit site
I loved Axiom rugs but have only ever seen them on eBay.

My mum has a couple of Gallop rugs and I've been on livery with people who've had them. They never look like a very good fit to me but it may just be that they're suited to a different type of horse

Julia0803

Visit site
Loved axiom rugs.

The fit my cob beautifully and came up big.

Gutted I can’t get hold of them any more.

I don’t think the gallop ones are the same. For a start I think they’re only 600d. The axiom turnouts were 1680 I think. They are pretty bulletproof!

I did see a brand on amazon that looked as if it might be axiom rebranded. I think it was chomna. 1680d turnouts as well as lower ones. They looked pretty similar in the pic but I haven’t seen one in the flesh.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I'm glad I went through a rug buying phase & I bought quite a few Axiom rugs off ebay. I never did a 'buy it now' I always went the auction route & as a result I got the rugs for really low prices. The fit was always generous with them even though the colours were sometimes a little loud, but who cares the horses role in them & dirty them up anyway. I missed them when they stopped being sold on Ebay but I spoke to a friend who does a rug cleaning service & she mentioned that they had been taken over by 'Gallop'. I've not bought any 'Gallop' rugs so haven't been able to compare as I still have plenty of the 'Axiom'rugs.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thank you all for your replies, very helpful! Never heard of Harlequin rugs or Chomna so will do some investigation. Axioms were the best turnouts we ever had for ours... wacky colours as Toby_Zaphod has mentioned but they were virtually indestructible, never slipped and never rubbed. It's a crying shame that they're not available over here anymore!

If Gallop have taken them over then sounds as though they are not making them the same unfortunately.

AFB

Visit site
I loved Axiom too and was gutted when I couldn't replace the last one my naughty pony destroyed!

I've had a Gallop rug before and it was awful so never bought again, terrible fit and leaked pretty quickly (albeit for a different horse).

ETA: I bought a Chonma rug to replace the destroyed Axiom and I'm happy with it. Just finishing it's second winters use with a few tears (field boss has moved so there's much in-fighting at the moment, wasn't a mark on it beforehand!).