Did he understand me?

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Thank you so much all. PF you're absolutely right saying I shouldn't try to guess what was wrong, it would send me bonkers and ultimately there was nothing I could do to help him anyway.

I was laid in bed last night thinking about him and other horses I've owned. I came to the conclusion that the relationships we have with them aren't so different to the ones we have with people. It's how some we like or dislike at first sight (and can be proved wrong either way), those we just want to admire from a distance and the ones we want to spend all our time with. I think long term ownership with one horse is like a marriage. The commitment, the care (even though that part is pretty much one-sided), the falling out, petty arguements, irritating habits from both sides, knowing each others moods so well, but also the trust, the bond that grows between you, the happiness of just hanging around together or having adventures, seeing the world from their perspective. It's hard to imagine doing it with any other horse because they are The One. I'll stop that train of thought now as it's getting a bit mawkish..

Thanks again everyone for your very kind words.

ozpoz

Visit site
I'm so very sorry for your loss. What an awful shock that must have been for you - I hope you can focus on the lovely bond you shared. Sadly we don't always have a say in how they leave us. x

Asha

Visit site
So sorry for you and your horse. What an awful thing to witness, although with the bond you clearly had, im sure your presence was a comfort to him.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm so sorry Gala, I wasn't expecting that end to a story that started so beautifully....and there's me moaning about trivialities.