Did I do ok?

Rocky715

Visit site
Hey

I went and did mine and Rocky's second and third ever dressage tests today!! I was a bit nervous to enter as it was being held at Quainton stud and I felt that I might look a bit of a numpty there... but it was so local that I couldn't not go!

So... I got there and went around to the indoor warm up arena.... there were about 12 horses in there trying to warm up and I think Rocky found it a bit too much! I managed to keep him trotting around but did not manage to have a canter... he just did not really settle at all! Then before I knew it I got called for my first test (PRELIM 7)....

OH DEAR!!! He was shying at everything... trotting sideways as he was frightened... and the canter was out of control and involved taking some of the white markers with us! I think we must have had generous judges as we scored 59.50%.

Then we scooted back to the warm up arena.. by which point he had settled a little... and then I went and did my second test (PRELIM 12). Now I thought this test was a lot lot better and he really settled down into this one and we had some lovely work... however we still only scored 60.80%

As I am relatively new to dressage... are these good scored to start with? On the first test we got mostly 5/6's and the second test 6/7's....?

Does anybody have any tips on how to get him to settle in the warm up ring? I am going to back and try again at the same place at the end of November.

Many thanks
smile.gif

Fiona
blush.gif

LCobby

Visit site
It's not easy to tell as it would depend on how generous the judge was. But 6' and 7's are generally good. Was it the same judge for both tests?
At a typical Riding Club, scores will range from 45% to 70%.
Sometimes the winner is in low 60's.
Nest time, try to find time to watch a few of the tests after your, see the scoreboard and wherabouts your placing was, and the scores for the ones you watched. This will give you a better idea of scores. Also read the judges comments

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Well tbh I think those seem VERY reasonable results
smile.gif
So well done to you both!

Like PP says it is hard to know how good unless you have seen how it compares to others the judges marked that day. I have seen classes won with anything from 60 to high 70s (rare!). I also find at more low key events like RC judges tend to be more generous to encourage. I got 63.5% for my first and was 3rd but when I did next test in unaffiliated class at affiliated show we only got 56% though I thought he went better
confused.gif
that was still good enough for 5th though out of a class of 16 and some got marks in mid 40s

Lamicjoa

Visit site
I think thats really good!
a couple of months ago i did a novice and got 55% and then the week after did the same novice at same place and got 66% couldnt believe it.
it all depends on the judges, i always go on how i feel my horse has gone rather than my percent, and try and consider the comments that are on my sheets!

PippiPony

Chocolatier and Greyhound lover
Visit site
Second test often marked a little "harder" & so lower, as they are usually a higher grade of test within that range. But 6 & 7 throughout, sounds like a result to be very pleased of
smile.gif

mickey

Visit site
It sounds to me like you did very well getting out there - You have to start somewhere don't you? Also for your first outing I think you did very well. I think a first outing is mainly to give it your best shot and learn. Now you have an idea of how your horse might react in this kind of situation you can work on addressing the more challenging parts and keeping up/improving the good parts.

One thing that really gets me is going to dressage with people that don't read and learn from their test sheets. Generally the judge and writer put a lot of effort into giving advice, and what is the point of that if it is not read, digested and implemented by the rider?

Even with your horse's very enthusiastic canter and white board incident you got a reasonable score in the first test, so I would say that there must have been good bits in there to push up your score. You have to do pretty well to get an 8 if you do that!

I find that often the second test yields better scores due to rider and horse settling a bit.

If your horse is excited in a group then it could be because this is new to him/her and this may improve with exposure. I would try to ride in a group in a menage (perhaps a group lesson) working towards a forward trot (to stop the sideways napping). Perhaps avoid canter to begin with so it does not become exciting the first few times. A walk/trot test might also be better for the first few times so that again it is not so exciting. An experienced person to help on the ground would also help.

Overall I would say give yourself a good pat for getting out there, and remember to read your sheets!
grin.gif

Rocky715

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies
smile.gif

The comments on my sheets are all things we can work on (accepting the bridle, being rounder, more inside bend, not hollowing in downwards transitions etc).... and the judges have said that he is a good horse with good potential and once he settles he will improve
smile.gif

Thank you for the suggestion of having some group lessons... I think I might look into to booking and taking him somewhere!

I am going to enter again for the end of November and possibly enter one of the Intro's first and use that as my settling in one... then I can do both prelims again. Quainton Stud is such a beautiful place to ride so it would be rude not to go again hehe

xxxx